Man of Steel star almost didn't get role because of World of Warcraft addiction

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/getting-caught-up-in-wow-almost-cost-man-of-steel-star-487707303

Despite the jokes about telling our parents that NO we can't pause the friggin' game to take out the trash, the truth is, the inability to pause a live game is a real problem. Real enough that even Man of Steel's star, Henry Cavill, has grappled with it. Actually, he almost didn't get the role of Superman because of it!

IGN reports that the latest issue of GQ has an interview with Cavill, where he discusses his love of video games and the incident with World of Warcraft.

Imagine that. Nearly jeopardizing a major film role because you just can't leave your game ofWorld of Warcraft for a little bit. Dang.

Indeed, his love of games is so great that when director Zack Snyder called to offer him the Man of Steel role, he nearly missed out due to playing World of Warcraft. “I saw it was him [calling] but the thing is, you can’t save World of Warcraft, you can’t pause it. It’s live.”

But mercifully Cavill called him back and gratefully accepted the part.

And just in case you're wondering, Cavill is rather fond of Skyrim.

Yeah, I can personally vouch for this, I wasted 5 years of my life glued to World of Warcraft.  By some miracle, I managed to get bored enough of it to quit in May 2009.  I later tried to go back around the time Cataclysm came out, but I just couldn't feel the same about the game, I was bored beyond belief.  Needless to say, I quit again after a few months, and never went back, not even with this new expansion.  Plus I've read about all those stories of similar WoW addictions, sometimes leading to so much as neglecting children or losing a job, or even death.

I don't understand how people can get so addicted to this game. I played a bit of WoW in highschool with my buddies and while it was fun at the time I never played it by myself and always enjoy other console games much more. That being said, one of my friends actually dropped out of highschool in order to play more WoW with his online buddies. I was absolutely shocked but he is a millionaire already (due to his father) so education really doesn't matter for him.

Parker