Rumor: Nintendo wants to modify Wii U to play smartphone games

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/rumor-nintendo-wants-to-modify-the-wii-u-to-run-smartp-493098554

Has it really come to this? According to Kyodo News, sources say that the Kyoto-based game maker is trying to modify its game hardware so it can run smartphone apps.

"The game console and software maker has offered professional-use conversion software to application developers so they can produce smartphone games that can be played on Wii U,"Kyodo reports.

Nintendo is hoping that smartphone games will, thus, boost console sales. The sources also added that Nintendo will "focus" on creating its own new software.

Kotaku is following up with Nintendo and will update this post should the company comment.This comes as Nintendo's newest console, the Wii U, continues to struggle and face criticism that it lacks games. From this year's release schedule, it sure seems like it does.

Yep, can't say I'm surprised.

Edited by gamerm1337

Why would you want to play smartphone games on a wiiu? Most people nowadays have smart phones, tablets, or ipods. Why do they think you also want to play smartphone games on the wiiu? Might as well bring the whole android market on the wiiu so you can get facebook and some other weird apps that are unnecessary on a console.

Why would you want to play smartphone games on a wiiu? Most people nowadays have smart phones, tablets, or ipods. Why do they think you also want to play smartphone games on the wiiu? Might as well bring the whole android market on the wiiu so you can get facebook and some other weird apps that are unnecessary on a console.

Because the Wii U is failing so hard that they'll do anything to try to save it.

Because the Wii U is failing so hard that they'll do anything to try to save it.

I doubt this will save it. Especially since they will most likely charge you $3 for a game that is usually free on the smartphone just so you can play it on the wiiu. 

They are probably trying to compete with this. http://www.ouya.tv/

As far as I'm aware the Ouya doesn't have any competition at the moment, so Nintendo are probably trying to offer the Wii U as a second choice console. Fucking stupid idea though if you ask me. 

Edited by AndroidFox

Like someone already said, it'd make much more sense to have smartphone games on the 3DS or Vita as those are intended to be portable consoles played in short bursts, much like smartphone games, but to have them on a full fledged home console is just silly, in my opinion. It'll be a sad day to see Nintendo go this low to save their mistake.

Parker