do i need to have played the previous two games to understand the story in this one?

rockstarjazz

In my opinion, you should definitely play the other two games, before playing Shadow.

Lara suffers a strong character development, especially between the first two games, that I don’t think should be skipped. You can feel how desperate and innocent she is in the first game and how what she goes through during that period makes her become the much more mature and professional explorer she is in Rise.

The first game, for me, is also the best in the trilogy, but, this, of course, it’s just an opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

The story is garbage and the characters forgettable. 

You can ignore any talk of character development as well Lara becomes a hardened serial killer 20 minutes into the first game, and is then off to destroy ancient civilisations and engage in cultural appropriation by the next game it's all very 1920's.

Another mature comment by someone who doesnt even have the game on your profile.
Next time I'll try to tell lara to use duel pistols and introduce androids in her game, maybe the quality will go up a bit ..

Back to the question, its not necessary to play the previous games to know the story well, the difference is that in the game of 2013 lara was an innocent human being and with fears later matured in rise of TR and then became a predator in shadow of TR as the game try to show. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nimera said:

Another mature comment by someone who doesnt even have the game on your profile.
Next time I'll try to tell lara to use duel pistols and introduce androids in her game, maybe the quality will go up a bit ..

Back to the question, its not necessary to play the previous games to know the story well, the difference is that in the game of 2013 lara was an innocent human being and with fears later matured in rise of TR and then became a predator in shadow of TR as the game try to show. 

Laughing at this talk of maturity when all you can do is throw ad hominem my way because I didn't like your shitty game, ever consider I played it on a different platform or something?

15 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Laughing at this talk of maturity when all you can do is throw ad hominem my way because I didn't like your shitty game, ever consider I played it on a different platform or something?

That would be a little bit of a stretch, considering there is a thread on here you tried to derail a couple months ago when they asked a simple question about which version everyone was getting, and you made it clear your disdain for this new series as well as making the point that you'll never play it (and continuing on trying to rile people up by trying to challenge anyone else to argue you why the series wasn't garbage). Don't know why you would have a change of heart since then, and go out and buy a game you already knew you would hate (and then, surprise, end up hating it after all), but I guess that can go with the saying "A fool and his money...", etc etc.

I can link the thread if you like, but it's still on the first page of this forum.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:57 AM, rockstarjazz said:

thanks

Even if you don't need to, why not get the first two anyway? They were really great. 

45 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Try eating sugar in your cereal, not salt. 

42 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

I think your arguments are all very 1920's...

42 minutes ago, iamjax said:

That would be a little bit of a stretch, considering there is a thread on here you tried to derail a couple months ago when they asked a simple question about which version everyone was getting, and you made it clear your disdain for this new series as well as making the point that you'll never play it (and continuing on trying to rile people up by trying to challenge anyone else to argue you why the series wasn't garbage). Don't know why you would have a change of heart since then, and go out and buy a game you already knew you would hate (and then, surprise, end up hating it after all), but I guess that can go with the saying "A fool and his money...", etc etc.

I can link the thread if you like, but it's still on the first page of this forum.

My friend, talking to the walls never worked. do as i do and enjoy this good game ??