How do I obtain SS ranks?

B4d4ssHunt4r

6 hours ago, Darwock-UK said:

Relieved to hear this can be done aiming for Tetris and Octotris clears for the most part, it’s too complex going for patterns. How important is it to keep the back-to-back bonus going?

I'd say not too much, as long as you aim for it. getting them in Zone is more important than outside. Just did it again on starting speed 11. nothing too advanced, broke my old PB from yesterday and reached the 1mio points at line 124. Compared to Sprint it was very doable 

• Like 2

Thanks for the video, it gave me confidence that I can get it. Your stack building is much cleaner than mine though, I tend to make too many poor drops and end up with a lot of mess to deal with after a couple of zone phases, so get bogged down in single line clears and my score potential just falls away.

Knowing what I have to do is half the battle though, so I’m going to keep at it.

• Like 1

There’s something I don’t understand about the scoring in Zone Marathon.

I have been mostly practicing at speed 10. I got a Dodecatris (12 lines) for 66,390 bonus points. Later in the same run I got a Decahexatris (16 lines) for exactly the same amount of points. In another game I switched to speed 11 and my first Dodecatris was only ~50,000 points.

What determines the point value? There is no point spamming pieces out aiming for a big clear and potentially messing up the stack if there is no benefit, likewise why bother going at faster speeds if the points become less?

edit - I get it now. It doesn’t matter if you clear more lines during zone, it’s *how* you clear them. Even though it looks like it’s all adding up while time is frozen, it’s still scoring each drop individually, so clearing lines one at a time is not going to return as many points as doing it with three Tetris drops.

I’m starting to feel out of my depth now.

Edited by Darwock-UK
  • Like 1

I did it! I was on track to fail by about 40,000 points as it reached the last 10 lines, but I managed to scrape together a messy Octoris at speed 15 (made from only one Tetris clear and a bunch of scraps) that just pushed me over the edge.

The crucial thing I changed that stopped me from playing so badly was to stop using hard drop. That cut the number of mistakes I was making way down.

Edited by Darwock-UK
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Darwock-UK said:

I did it! I was on track to fail by about 40,000 points as it reached the last 10 lines, but I managed to scrape together a messy Octoris at speed 15 (made from only one Tetris clear and a bunch of scraps) that just pushed me over the edge.

The crucial thing I changed that stopped me from playing so badly was to stop using hard drop. That cut the number of mistakes I was making way down.

awesome, congratulations :)

yes, not using hard drop all the time gave me more time to think, too. I was glad that it wasn' t needed like in sprint

• 8 months later...

I finally got SS Rank sprint with a time of 1:09:65 after 285 hours (Played on a alt account first) of mostly playing sprint only. Hardest challenge I have ever attempted in gaming. So rewarding to finally get SS Rank. I wanted to get the hardest challenge in the game done first, so I know I have a chance of getting the platinum. You really need to play the game a lot to improve. If you can get a time of under 1:15:00 you have a chance to get SS Rank sprint. You just got to have a never give up mentality, and should play Tetris every day to avoid getting rusty. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, x7251 said:

I finally got SS Rank sprint with a time of 1:09:65 after 285 hours (Played on a alt account first) of mostly playing sprint only. Hardest challenge I have ever attempted in gaming. So rewarding to finally get SS Rank. I wanted to get the hardest challenge in the game done first, so I know I have a chance of getting the platinum. You really need to play the game a lot to improve. If you can get a time of under 1:15:00 you have a chance to get SS Rank sprint. You just got to have a never give up mentality, and should play Tetris every day to avoid getting rusty. 

Beautiful run, mate! 👍

• Like 2