How do I obtain SS ranks?

B4d4ssHunt4r

29 minutes ago, Darwock-UK said:

After 2 weeks of blood, sweat and tears I only managed to get down as low as 1m 29s, and I haven’t matched that since. I don’t know how to improve.

I think my main fault is lacking the instinct for smooth stacking. I hesitate, and if I try not to hesitate my stack ends up as series of vertical spikes. I have stopped using hold which probably helped a little.

Second problem is poor inputs. I quite often don’t drop a piece in the position I wanted to. Usually miss by one space when this happens. I’m trying out an arcade stick in case it’s the DS4 d-pad that’s to blame, but that means building new muscle memory so my times have dropped for the time being. Although, tetriminos per minute has gone up, only the line clears per minute has taken a hit. Interesting stat.

I practice in two ways - one is in quick play (chill) mode, with no hold, ghost piece turned off, and next queue reduced to 1 - this is to encourage me to look at the previews and do the inputs accurately (you’re a lot less likely to rotate multiple times when you’re not seeing the ghost feedback - just get it right the first time). I take as much time as I need here to avoid messing up the stack.

The other practice is doing actual attempts at speed with the arcade stick, ghost piece turned back on and next queue set to 4. Still keeping hold turned off here though, when I have that available I abuse it way too much and still get bad stacks.

No idea if I’m on the right track - most advice I’ve seen is just ‘play more’, but I seem to lack whatever instinct I need for improvement.

I can relate to that blood, sweat, and tears line so much, I even had blisters on my left thumb cause of the damn D-Pad lol All I can relay to you is what worked for me and that was continuously playing Sprint, always aiming to beat my time even if it was just by a few milliseconds. Most people/videos on YouTube would indicate you'd have to hit 10 Tetrises in a row but what work for me was a mixture of tetrises and burning lines using the S and L pieces with a right well. Granted you still lose precious seconds/milliseconds by using other pieces rather than the "I" cause of the delay clear animation but there were countless attempts when I came closest to breaking the 1.10.00 barrier using this method as oppose to just tetrises. Full disclosure though, took me close to 89 hours of just playing Sprint...so yeah, be in it for the long haul baby!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EDJ3DG said:

Full disclosure though, took me close to 89 hours of just playing Sprint...so yeah, be in it for the long haul baby!

In all those hours of attempts, did you find your times going in the wrong direction sometimes?

I got that record of 1m 30s, but I’m still turning in 1m 50s most of the time, and occasionally going even slower. Makes me wonder wtf I’m doing, it’s hard to stay motivated.

55 minutes ago, Darwock-UK said:

In all those hours of attempts, did you find your times going in the wrong direction sometimes?

I got that record of 1m 30s, but I’m still turning in 1m 50s most of the time, and occasionally going even slower. Makes me wonder wtf I’m doing, it’s hard to stay motivated.

Yes but don't let that discourage you. You're not gonna see full second improvements overnight, there were times where I never got close to my current record at the time, going over it by 10-20 seconds. The sub 1:30:00 took the longest to crack for me but just keep at it, maybe an hour a day just so you don't have those doubts creep into your mind. Trust me, if I can do it you can as well. My start time was 2:10:00+ and my end run was 1:09:76 with the 2nd closest being 1:10:05.

I finally got this trophy!

Wow was a lot of practice and time. I haven't played Tetris on yeears.

Sprint is the only problem to get this trophy lol

After 100 hours of practice 1;08, lowering the volume of music helps a lot, always got nervous at the end lol

Ultra was a little tough but i found this video guide about T-spins and it help me to got that SS in this mode, very easy.

And mystery after a bad rng cycle it blessed me with a all clear at the end lol.

Now have to work on rotations,  400k for now?

• Like 1

I’m still struggling away, but have seen good progress through the 1m 20-30s band - cut a couple of seconds off at a time when breaking the records - just tonight I went from 1m22s to 1m20.96s… getting agonizingly close to S rank for the first time. I don’t feel like I’m playing differently but then sometimes I just fluke a record time.

I might be having my Neo moment - beginning to believe…

Edited by Darwock-UK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And here I am on February 5th, having just done it.

I got to 1m11s at the end of December, then it took a whole month to get a lower time of 1m10.26.

Got this one a couple of days later.

It’s interesting that I misdropped, and fixed the mistake with a soft drop, and still cleared the time. I’ve played better than that before and gone slower. I don’t actually feel I have mastered the art of 40 line clears - give me a controller now and I wouldn’t be able to do it - but I unlocked the ability to fluke a fast time through pure grinding.

I was very envious of all you guys who got to 1m10 or 1m11 and got the SS a few days later - took me a whole month more!

(unfortunately I still have to do Mystery mode)

Also I noticed in my game stats at the end of that video that the clock has reset to zero. It was somewhere between 500 and 600 hours last I saw.

Edited by Darwock-UK
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...

Congrats, nice effort ?

I remember grinding Sprint on Tetris ultimate to get the speed demon achievement within a timespan of 3 months i improved from a 1:40 to a 0:59. So satisfying after such a grind to finally achieve your goal ?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I like this game, until it comes to trying to get the trophies. Specifically, dealing with master mode atm trying to hit 150 line clears. Highest I ever got was 147 after 4 straight hours of attempts at it, and that feels like it was only just dumb luck with how often the pieces would instantly lock into place before I could even move or rotate them. I don't feel any sense of improvement or progression since I can't figure out why it just seemingly randomly does that, or keep me from rotating a piece making it lock into place as well.

Edit July 27; After putting in at least an hour a day on this mode alone, I finally got one run I manage to clear 151 lines at the last moment. Thank God to be done with this mode. Now to get Ultra, Sprint, Combo, and Target left which are all A rank atm except Combo is only B with 75.

Edited by KurayamiYousei
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

80 hours in and I've just got Ultra and Sprint left, at least 60 hours of that has been Sprint which I've managed to get down to 1:19 (my starting time was 2:25 so I was really bad to begin with)

Worked on getting SS in the other modes when I've been getting frustrated with Sprint, there's been a few times where I felt like I hit a wall and wanted to quit but then I'll improve my time out of nowhere, I was stuck at 1:25 for hours and then jumped to 1:22, was stuck at that for another 10 hours before hitting my current time

I hope I'm not still 100 hours away from being good enough to do it but it wouldn't surprise me, I kind of regret not changing my controller layout as I still misdrop a lot but I feel like I'm too far in now to retrain my brain 

Edited by MD_91
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

5 weeks and 60 hours later and I finally did it, 1:09:17 after being stuck at 1:12:29 for about the last 30 hours, it didn't even feel like a good run until I had a quick glance at the clock and saw I was on 39 lines at 1.07 and then I almost panicked and choked it lol, still have Ultra left to do but surely I've got the hard part out of the way 

Edit: took me less than an hour to get SS on Ultra, just need to grind 484k rotations for the plat 

Edited by MD_91
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

hey - I finally got this plat today -

I'm no Tetris King, but I have a few videos of my successful runs of some of the more difficult SS's IMO - just dropping them here as a resource for anyone coming after me:

Good luck to all :highfive: 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I just got the platinum today after having to grind couple of days for the spin artist trophy. I did not have a turbo controller so I had to mash buttons while doing something else, so that was little annoying.

For sprint ss rank I used the same pattern that DrBloodmoney used on the video above. (Thanks for sharing!) It took me about 1 week to get the ss rank when I started using that pattern. I think I got 1:10 time 4 times before I finally managed to get 1:09. ?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Treilio said:

I just got the platinum today after having to grind couple of days for the spin artist trophy. I did not have a turbo controller so I had to mash buttons while doing something else, so that was little annoying.

For sprint ss rank I used the same pattern that DrBloodmoney used on the video above. (Thanks for sharing!) It took me about 1 week to get the ss rank when I started using that pattern. I think I got 1:10 time 4 times before I finally managed to get 1:09. 1f602.png

Congratulations on the platinum!! That sprint SS looks very daunting so a massive well done for overcoming everything this game could throw at you! I’m still very early in on my Tetris journey but I’m loving it!

I do have one question though: were you required to SS Rank the new modes in order to pop Seriously, Setiously?

45 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

Congratulations on the platinum!! That sprint SS looks very daunting so a massive well done for overcoming everything this game could throw at you! I’m still very early in on my Tetris journey but I’m loving it!

I do have one question though: were you required to SS Rank the new modes in order to pop Seriously, Setiously?

No they are not required on PS4, but if you are playing the PS5 version then you will have to do those too.

1 thing that I do not know is if on PS4 you can use the new endless purify and master modes for Seriously, Seriously? Endless would make getting SS on purify easier, but I wasn't able to test it because I already had SS rank on the non-endless version.

Edited by Treilio
  • Like 1

On 8.3.2023 at 11:53 PM, Darwock-UK said:

Never thought I would have to come back to this thread.

Anyone have tips for getting SS on Zone Marathon and Classic Score Attack?

I haven’t really touched it since getting the platinum 1year ago and my god, I suck.

Just did 290k on classic score attack ( and I realised I'm also not in training anymore :D ). Started on Speed 8, its not too fast and you get around 10k points for a tetris so you could get the ss rank theoretically in 100 lines. hard part is that the pieces come completely random so you need a bit of luck, too. don't build too high as every mistake could cost your round.

And for Zone Attack, I'm still figuring it out, only got 880k points yet. trying on speed 12, getting as many tetrises as possible and in zone aiming for 17-18 lines

Edited by Zarosch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zarosch said:

And for Zone Attack, I'm still figuring it out, only got 880k points yet. trying on speed 12, getting as many tetrises as possible and in zone aiming for 17-18 lines

I've not got SS rank on Zone Marathon yet, I've made it to 970,000 by starting on Speed 15, and just going for consistent Tetrises plus big Zone clearances, but I think that's such a tight window for points based on the limited number of lines, that if you make a single error, or have a Zone clearance not go your way, it's too tough to meet the requirements in the time.

My current method of trying is to start on Speed 10, but go for a T-Spin factory. The problem with that method is that you need to be very careful in your Zone Clearances, to end it with a good set up to begin the Factory again, but from playing it, it seems like the best way to ensure getting the score required in 150 lines, as double T-Spin clears are much more "points-efficient" than Tetrises.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

My current method of trying is to start on Speed 10, but go for a T-Spin factory. The problem with that method is that you need to be very careful in your Zone Clearances, to end it with a good set up to begin the Factory again, but from playing it, it seems like the best way to ensure getting the score required in 150 lines, as double T-Spin clears are much more "points-efficient" than Tetrises.

I was thinking about T-Spin Factories, too, those helped me to reach SS on Ultra but I can't do them longer as to the first zone and then I can't manage a big clearance. Maybe I'm gonna practice them for a while now. 

I forgot what determins the points in zone. is it only speed and clearance or also the kind of clearance, for example when you do many tetrises or only single lines

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zarosch said:

I was thinking about T-Spin Factories, too, those helped me to reach SS on Ultra but I can't do them longer as to the first zone and then I can't manage a big clearance. Maybe I'm gonna practice them for a while now. 

I forgot what determins the points in zone. is it only speed and clearance or also the kind of clearance, for example when you do many tetrises or only single lines

You get the normal points you would get out of zone, with a +1 multiplier of if you clear more than an Octotris (8lines), and another +1 multiplier if you entered Zone when it was fully charged. Therefore, if you wait until Zone is fully charged, and clear at least 8 lines, then you get all the points as you would have normally (so extra points for Tetris clears etc,) multiplied by x3.

I'm not sure if the combo multiplier is also added in that case though. I don't think it is, because the points are all awarded at the same time when Zone ends - but I think if you had a combo multiplier already (for, say a Tetris clear immediately before going into Zone Mode,) then I think anything greater than a Tetris in Zone would keep it going. Not sure if the 1.5x multiplier is actually added to the Zone Clearance points themselves though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You get the normal points you would get out of zone, with a +1 multiplier of if you clear more than an Octotris (8lines), and another +1 multiplier if you entered Zone when it was fully charged. Therefore, if you wait until Zone is fully charged, and clear at least 8 lines, then you get all the points as you would have normally (so extra points for Tetris clears etc,) multiplied by x3.

I'm not sure if the combo multiplier is also added in that case though. I don't think it is, because the points are all awarded at the same time when Zone ends - but I think if you had a combo multiplier already (for, say a Tetris clear immediately before going into Zone Mode,) then I think anything greater than a Tetris in Zone would keep it going. Not sure if the 1.5x multiplier is actually added to the Zone Clearance points themselves though.

thanks, that helped me a lot to try something out. I just started at speed 10 but I only filled up my zone meter a quarter with tetrisses, then I set up 2 tetrisses b2b (and tried to get a few lines after that in zone) to get the multiplicator after 8 lines and so on. I screwed up most of the time but stuck to that tactic roughly and got 920k points. I think filling the zone meter to just a quarter and aiming for octotris should be an easy strategy for ss

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zarosch said:

thanks, that helped me a lot to try something out. I just started at speed 10 but I only filled up my zone meter a quarter with tetrisses, then I set up 2 tetrisses b2b (and tried to get a few lines after that in zone) to get the multiplicator after 8 lines and so on. I screwed up most of the time but stuck to that tactic roughly and got 920k points. I think filling the zone meter to just a quarter and aiming for octotris should be an easy strategy for ss

That's interesting - letting go of the multiplier for the Full Zone, but getting way more of the 2x for the Octotris...

...I might give that one a go tonight ?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's interesting - letting go of the multiplier for the Full Zone, but getting way more of the 2x for the Octotris...

...I might give that one a go tonight 1f44d.png

I really think it's possible to do it with this strategy even starting at speed 10. It's a slower gameplay but it gives you all the time in the world to think and react (compared to speed 15), it's fairly forgiving and you get around 60k points for 8 lines including a quarter zone. gonna keep you updated if I manage to screw it up a bit less :D

update: started now at speed 12 and got it with ease, even screwed up a couple of times. there is much more potential in that strategy I think but it should do the trick for the ss rank 

Edited by Zarosch
update
  • Like 1

I got my SS scores in the other modes by using S/T stacking, so I tried that but the Zone phases absolutely screwed up my management of the stack so it didn’t seem like a good method. I learned the simpler T-spin factory method and did a comparison of score vs lines for the two methods, T-spin factory was marginally ahead.

It also had the advantage of leaving a 3 wide column which made it very simple to get a combo going while Zone was active - BUT… what I found was that my set-up for the factory *always* got broken, something to do with the math involved meant I would be juggling multiples of the same piece whatever I tried. I thought I should go for nothing more than a Tetris clear in Zone to keep the back-to-back (especially as if you drop the I pieces outside of Zone the best you can get is a triple) but once you mess with that sequence of pieces it’s very hard to get back.

I saw a YouTube guide that touched on this but with no advice other than “you’ll get used to it” :/

Relieved to hear this can be done aiming for Tetris and Octotris clears for the most part, it’s too complex going for patterns. How important is it to keep the back-to-back bonus going?

Edited by Darwock-UK
  • Like 1