Rumor: Metroid Prime Trilogy Ready for Release on Switch

Parker

Metroid Prime Trilogy IMG

No, it’s not some horrible nightmare, Nintendo has in fact announced the development of Metroid Prime 4 will be restarted, with the original developer Retro Studios now collaborating with producer Kensuke Tanabe.

Prior to this shock announcement from Nintendo, there were rumours circulating late last year about the re-release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Nintendo Switch as an appetiser. So, what’s the current status of this rumoured project? According to a series of tweets by Game Informer’s Senior Editor Imran Khan, “it's been long done” and the initial announcement for the trilogy collection on Switch was supposed to happen last month, but not necessarily at The Game Awards. Why exactly this game wasn’t revealed by Nintendo around this time is unknown.

Over on ResetEra, Khan said Metroid Prime 4’s development reset is likely to alter Nintendo’s schedule and mentioned how there was more “Metroid stuff” in the pipeline to anticipate.

Source: Nintendo Life

I really hope this is true and I think it would definitely help hold people over now that we know development has completely restarted on Prime 4. I am a huge fan of the Prime trilogy but they are kind of hard to go back and play because of the controls. If the trilogy is re-released on Switch with updated graphics and more importantly, dual analog support I'd be ecstatic. 

Parker

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parker said:

I really hope this is true and I think it would definitely help hold people over now that we know development has completely restarted on Prime 4. I am a huge fan of the Prime trilogy but they are kind of hard to go back and play because of the controls. If the trilogy is re-released on Switch with updated graphics and more importantly, dual analog support I'd be ecstatic. 

Parker

I read this earlier and hope it's true too. I never got the chance to play the Metroid series and having played a few metroidvania games, I'd like to see what the OG is like.

I gotta get a Nintendo switch first before I can even think about playing it though! xD

Great news for the fans though after Nintendo deciding to start from scratch on MP4. Probably won't see that one until 2021, maybe 2022.

6 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I read this earlier and hope it's true too. I never got the chance to play the Metroid series and having played a few metroidvania games, I'd like to see what the OG is like.

Just a heads up the Metroid Prime trilogy is far from the original Metroid game. The first one came out on the NES in 1986 and was a 2D side scrolled. The Prime games took the gameplay commonly called Metroidvania and put it in a FPS environment. They're great, but if you want the originals you'll have to go farther back.

13 minutes ago, LordShavron said:

Just a heads up the Metroid Prime trilogy is far from the original Metroid game. The first one came out on the NES in 1986 and was a 2D side scrolled. The Prime games took the gameplay commonly called Metroidvania and put it in a FPS environment. They're great, but if you want the originals you'll have to go farther back.

Correct, I've seen a little gameplay of the prime series and played a little bit of the originals, but not really enough to have an opinion of the game.

Do you know where the prime series falls chronologically? I always wondered if these games starting back from the beginning where Samus's parents were killed by Ridley or if that was covered in the originals, or both. I tried looking it up a couple of days ago, but couldn't find anything (or I kept getting stupid pop-ups on my phone that made it impossible to read any of it).

10 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Do you know where the prime series falls chronologically?

The Prime trilogy is set after the original Metroid (and the Zero Mission remake, which is fantastic) and before Metroid II and Super Metroid. The timeline can be seen here. 

https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Metroid_timeline

Honestly, if you're a newcomer to the series I'd try to play Super Metroid first. I think that is where most people started their Metroid journey (the original NES Metroid is kind of hard to play today, especially if you've never played a Metroid game before) and many still consider it to be the best game in the whole series. Then I'd play Zero Mission (which is a remake of the original) and Fusion. Then I'd play the Prime games. 

Parker

• Like 1

• 1 month later...