*SPOILERS!* The Future of 'The Last of Us'?

Chambers35

Please don't read any more of this post, or the rest of the thread, unless you want the story ruined you for.

So once again:

SPOILERS!

No more warnings, it's your fault if you have anything spoiled.

the-last-of-us-dlc.jpg

So first off, how awesome is this game?! Both the story and gameplay are fantastic :D

Anyway, the reason I made this topic was to get a discussion going with everyone's opinions as to what's in store for The Last of Us as a franchise :hmm: Sequel, DLC, Prequel?

If you're here I'm guessing you've completed the game, so I'm sure you'll agree that there's definitely going to be a sequel that follows pretty much exactly where this game left off? Of course some story DLC could be done, but if so, hopefully for only a small portion of the future... I'd much rather see another full game :yay:

Maybe some story DLC could be done for the gaps before the season changes in the story? Because there's definitely parts we don't see.

What I would love to see though is a prequel. Those 20 years after Sarah dies holds some HUGE potential :holy:

How about you guys? What do you think/hope will happen?

Edited by Chambers35

Honestly I don't want another TLOU, I absolutely adore this game, I finished it a few hours ago and i'm still quite emotional about it (That giraffe scene makes me want to cry for some reason) I feel like Joel and Ellie's stories are done, and as much as I want more, I also don't want to see them again, i'm looking forward to the dlc, I just don't want anything to ruin the way this game and these characters made me feel. If there is another one though hopefully it'll have new characters/story

• Like 3

Honestly I don't want another TLOU, I absolutely adore this game, I finished it a few hours ago and i'm still quite emotional about it (That giraffe scene makes me want to cry for some reason) I feel like Joel and Ellie's stories are done, and as much as I want more, I also don't want to see them again, i'm looking forward to the dlc, I just don't want anything to ruin the way this game and these characters made me feel. If there is another one though hopefully it'll have new characters/story

I twill have new characters, Naughty Dog confirmed that they told the end of joel and ellies story in the last of us.

Naughty Dog have said that's the end of Joel and Ellie's story? Could I get a link to that please. It just seems weird as the end of the game seems like there will be a sequel to finish their story :hmm:

Not really. That's a general discussion about the game, this is about where the series will go ;)

Have at it?

Anyway. So they did :hmm: Although I do think that they're aware if they said there would be a sequel with Joel and Ellie then that would ruin parts of the game ;) I mean, if you know there's a sequel with them both, then you know that Joel will be fine when he's nearly dead, and Ellie will be fine when she's going for surgery. It would just ruin any tension, so it may have just been a tactical message.

Of course that could just be it, but there's so much more to tell :yay:

really hoping for a trilogy here.

Maybe watching Joel getting older. Ellie growing up. taking efforts in her own hands,taking care for Joel's old day. And when J dies she finds out he lied. So she goes back to the fireflies r something.

Anyway. we will see what ND does with TLoU 2 :) I can't wait, that game on the ps4 must look amazing!

• Like 1

really hoping for a trilogy here.

Maybe watching Joel getting older. Ellie growing up. taking efforts in her own hands,taking care for Joel's old day. And when J dies she finds out he lied. So she goes back to the fireflies r something.

Anyway. we will see what ND does with TLoU 2 :) I can't wait, that game on the ps4 must look amazing!

Awesome idea :D I think it would be cool to watch Joel grow old too.

During the epilogue there's a couple of things that made me think it might happen. First off you're playing as Ellie, and the fact you don't do much does make it a little pointless. But maybe they're wanting to end the game playing as the character you'll be continuing the story with?

And secondly Joel mentions how he's feeling his age, or something like that, which makes me think he'll be settling down as soon as he can. And of course Ellie will still want to adventure, etc. plus I'm sure she'll meet new people in that town you could see at the end.

:P

Awesome idea :D I think it would be cool to watch Joel grow old too.

During the epilogue there's a couple of things that made me think it might happen. First off you're playing as Ellie, and the fact you don't do much does make it a little pointless. But maybe they're wanting to end the game playing as the character you'll be continuing the story with?

And secondly Joel mentions how he's feeling his age, or something like that, which makes me think he'll be settling down as soon as he can. And of course Ellie will still want to adventure, etc. plus I'm sure she'll meet new people in that town you could see at the end.

:P

I really enjoyed that level with Ellie. My favorite level.

Ellie is already bad ass, but maybe it would be cool to see here become a total bad ass like lara croft.

If anything I'd expect some sort of sequel with Tommy the brother, as when you meet him at the dam there was ALOT of stuff that had happened previously, also could revolve around Bill since he owed Joel a few favors.

I honestly could not and would not want to see anything after the game , however prequels I'm open to :D

If anything I'd expect some sort of sequel with Tommy the brother, as when you meet him at the dam there was ALOT of stuff that had happened previously, also could revolve around Bill since he owed Joel a few favors.

I honestly could not and would not want to see anything after the game , however prequels I'm open to :D

Yup, a prequel in those 20 years would be awesome :D That's definitely the thing I'd like to see the most.

Honestly the ending was lame imo. I expected more closure. It feels like they left it open on purpose, maybe to continue the story even though they say they won't. The game was amazing but the ending could've been done better.

Yeah tbh I found the ending kinda weak with the "there's dozens who are immune and the government has quit looking for a cure" mumbo jumbo that pops up just out of nowhere. It seemed as if part of the game was missing there since, it pops up out of thin air.

I truly think that the game is fantastic but I'd like to say that, I really got sick of the chapters where you'd start randomly in a new season, its cool they did that just sometimes I felt kinda lost like when Sam got infected so the brother shot himself then 2 seconds later its fall.? What happened between then.

Also does anyone know what the DLC is on? Or is it just multiplayer crap?

Honestly the ending was lame imo. I expected more closure. It feels like they left it open on purpose, maybe to continue the story even though they say they won't. The game was amazing but the ending could've been done better.

I do kind of agree with you there. The part in the hospital was an awesome final section, but the actual ending just seemed too abrupt and open-ended... especially if in fact they aren't continuing the story.

Yeah tbh I found the ending kinda weak with the "there's dozens who are immune and the government has quit looking for a cure" mumbo jumbo that pops up just out of nowhere. It seemed as if part of the game was missing there since, it pops up out of thin air.

I truly think that the game is fantastic but I'd like to say that, I really got sick of the chapters where you'd start randomly in a new season, its cool they did that just sometimes I felt kinda lost like when Sam got infected so the brother shot himself then 2 seconds later its fall.? What happened between then.

Also does anyone know what the DLC is on? Or is it just multiplayer crap?

That part about there being dozens of immune was just a lie Joel made up :P

I think there could be some good story DLC sections to fill in the gaps before the new seasons, because like you said; what happened?

As for the DLC that's coming, I think they've confirmed it will be both single and multiplayer stuff. I'm not 100% though.

I do kind of agree with you there. The part in the hospital was an awesome final section, but the actual ending just seemed too abrupt and open-ended... especially if in fact they aren't continuing the story.

I think there could be some good story DLC sections to fill in the gaps before the new seasons, because like you said; what happened?

As for the DLC that's coming, I think they've confirmed it will be both single and multiplayer stuff. I'm not 100% though.

Damn, I didn't catch that LOL

I couldn't care much for dlc maps tbh, I just want my sp dlc :D But that ending felt like something will happen but we might never know unless dlc comes out to support it!

I would not like to see the rest of Joel and Ellies' story, although I would like to see some of Joel's life before all of this happened. About The Last of Us 2,   they should tell a completely different story, but it would be cool if there was an artifact in TLOU 2 about Joel and/or Ellie, but not more than two.

Actually he did not make it up, only the part where they stopped looking. Some of the artifacts, if read/listened to, revealed that there indeed are dozens more, but they have to remove the brian of the host to attempt to find a cure, however when the host dies, it's all useless. They have to be alive to attempt and make a vaccin. They never stopped looking for a cure, so that's something Joel did lie about. Once again the ending was just so abrupt indeed, I mean I was exploring the whole area for more loot to prepare for more battles. It didn't even look like something that might be the end, especially with the city in the distance. And 'Swear to me that you tell me nothing but the truth', 'I swear' isn't much of a climatic or exciting ending. I really related to both characters, especially to Joel when his daughter died, but the ending made me lose it all. Naughty Dog, you could've made it so much better.

The PlayStation Blog published an interview with The Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann last week. In it, Druckmann made a comment that seemed to suggest that Joel and Ellie wouldn’t be back for a new game in the series, assuming there is one.

That actually isn’t true. Druckmann clarified his quotes while speaking with Kotaku, stating that coming back to the two characters and the overall world is “up in the air.”

“I can clarify that quote, because I’ve seen it misquoted. I said this journey for Joel and Ellie is complete. In a spoiler sense, I was referring to the journey with the Fireflies and what they’re after with the cure and all that. We’re not continuing that. But as far as whether we come back to Joel and Ellie or not, or whether we come back to the world or not, that’s all up in the air. I can tell you there are people in the studio that would love to come back to these characters, but the only way we would do it would be if we had something new, something meaningful to say. Because the last thing we would want to do is repeat ourselves.”

Druckmann as well as director Bruce Straley also commented on downloadable content for The Last of Us:

“We’re creating from scratch. Some people out there, they’re asking, they’re implying that we’ve cut things from the single-player campaign. That’s not true. I wish that were the case, because we could just take it easy right now, polish something that was cut instead of [figuring out] how do we do this, how does it fit into the story. And we’re taking the same approach as we did before, how do we do something that’s meaningful, that is going to tell you something interesting about these characters, something new about this world. And add to the bigger part of the narrative.” – Druckmann

“I think that’s the big thing, what Neil just said. We’re not just doing it to fill some fluff need to get DLC or something. We’re actually doing it to tell more about the characters. We’re gonna reveal more about the characters and about the world.”

“Usually between games we’ve just put out multiplayer DLC and we’re like, that’s a long time for fans to go, for us to go, without putting more narrative stuff out there. So it’s like, well, let’s see how we do! It’s a challenge to ourselves, we want to show we can put really meaningful singleplayer DLC out there.” – Druckmann

Source

So there we have it :D They never actually meant there won't be more games with Ellie and Joel :yay:

I agree. It's not just the characters that are so special about this game. It could almost be said that the world they created has as much personality as any of the characters. I'd like to hear a different story set in the same world. We heard a lot about the Fireflies in this tale, how about hearing another from the side of the government, or better yet the Hunters.