Pokémon S&S playing blind?

ClearCrow

Hello everyone,

a few days ago we could have a first look on the new upcoming Pokémon games Sword and Shield and I have to say that I'm pretty excited about those games. I didn't liked the Pokémon Let's Go! titles that much and I'm glad to see a "classic" game of the main series again. The last generation was released in 2016 and now I can't wait to explore a new region and catch completely new Pokémon.

And when I was thinking about this I had an idea…

In the last few years all Pokémon games where announced very early and we could see pictures and video material before release. We knew almost every Pokémon before we actually could play the game and that's something completely different than in the 1st games. I'm into Pokémon since Pokémon Blue and I loved to play it all day when I was a kid. Starting my adventure, picking my own first Pokémon. Walking through the grass, encountering exotic creatures I have never seen before. Catching then, training then and see them grow up and evolve. Thinking about "what level it has to reach to evolve?". Exploring caves, fighting the bad guys, collecting badges and become the champ.

I totally loved that excitement. And I think I want to experience this again.

After watching this first announcement trailer I thought about to ignore every news about the upcoming games. To not watch any other pictures or videos. And then in the end of the year to start a brand new Pokémon adventure like in the good old days.

What do you guys think about this idea? Could it be very hard to ignore all news in this world full of social media and news on every website?

Did you liked this experience in the first games you played, too?

I'm interested in your thoughts. ?

There's absolutely no reason not to play through the story of a Pokemon game blind and I think it would be extremely easy to avoid Pokemon news. The only thing you may want to do is refresh yourself on the type chart. Being not very effective is annoying. Chances are you're not going to randomly get good IVs, and you're maybe even less likely to get the right EVs. Just use whatever pokemon look cool for the story. Then once you've finished the story/have access to everything look up and decide what you want breed and grind out maximal IVs, farm EVs, learn your move set.

PS Scorbunny is definitely going to be another Fire x Fighting.

1 hour ago, Milktastrophe said:

There's absolutely no reason not to play through the story of a Pokemon game blind and I think it would be extremely easy to avoid Pokemon news. The only thing you may want to do is refresh yourself on the type chart. Being not very effective is annoying. Chances are you're not going to randomly get good IVs, and you're maybe even less likely to get the right EVs. Just use whatever pokemon look cool for the story. Then once you've finished the story/have access to everything look up and decide what you want breed and grind out maximal IVs, farm EVs, learn your move set.

The type chart is burnt in my mind since years, so that's not going to be a problem. I was thinking to combine it with a kind of nuzlocke type-challenge. I like the idea of fighting as a arena leader and focusing on a single type, dealing with the pros and cons.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:17 AM, Milktastrophe said:

In sun and moon, it told you what attacks you had were effective against the opponent if you had that pokemon in the dex, so they really have made pokemon easier since you don't have to have the chart memorized by heart; the game just tells you what move to use instead (I actually have it memorized for the most part, I forget a few every now and then).

I love this idea of a blind playthrough, but the only thing I'm afraid of is that I'm going to end up training a Pokemon with weaker stats and no evolution. I kind of did this for my platinum version and ended up having a Chatot on my team until she was on level 71, realized how much of a weakling it was and ended up putting it in my PC for something else when I got to the Elite 4. I might still end up doing this though. I will definitely stay away from looking at the map, gyms, minigames, etc. for sure.

If Sun/Moon is any indication, I will probably use 1 or 2 new pokemon and then pick pokemon that I am familiar with and really like. My pokemon league team for Sun ended up being Whimsicott, Talonflame, Mimiyku, Metagross, Alolian Raichu, and Smeargle (Yes, I took out my starter because I didn't like its stats and wanted a faster pokemon on my team. People tell me that's a grave sin or something). I saw a Tyranitar in the initial trailer, so I will definitely try to grab one of those!!! I used one on my competitive team in AS.