Gaming

Goldenman242

I don't think it is going downhill, but I can sometimes wonder why gaming companies are always pushing to release games every year, especially sequels (Assassin's Creed) or major franchises (Call of Duty).  (Personally, I think it is because of $$$ :huh: )  

Well, we've gotten older, for one. That childlike wonder is dead inside of us.

Also, it's possible that our expectations of the product have changed. Duke Nukem Forever's reception in 2010 (or whenever) couldn't have been any colder unless it had officially joined the Ku Klux Klan, but if it had come out in 2004 even with age appropriate graphics, it probably would have received a much warmer welcome by gamers. It may be on some level, that every game that comes out today is not only competing with other games on the shelf, but in a way every game that has ever been on the shelf. With every title that come out, it becomes just a little bit harder to stand out

There also seems to be a growing interest in the corporate policies and practices of the companies. For example, EA has earned a lot of distrust for things like the SimCity.. thingy, where many people found an undercooked game they'd bought at launch, that was simply not yet ready to launch, not to mention the remarkable increase of companies necessitating the use of a one-and-done access code to play the content you paid for. And then there's the political/social angle. Going back to EA, it's a company that has openly supported equal rights for homosexuals, which is still, for whatever reason, a very polarizing stance for any company to take. Whether you support EA's stance, rage against it, or couldn't give less of a shit if you were constipated, just being aware that the socio-political stance exists can kind of keep you one foot out of the game.

It just didn't used to be so complicated. You wanted to play Super Mario Brothers 3, you'd blow on it, pop it and have some innocent fun. You want to play Far Cry 3, you pop it in, install, load it, fill in the access code, get on you're computer to sign up for U Play so you can maybe try the online one day, switch over to your email to prove you're not an imposter, get back on the console and have some innocent (for the most part) fun. The important thing is, it's all fun in the end. If it's not, then why bother? 

These are just things I thought of when I saw the question... They aren't researched or meant to be taken as canon. Just some things to consider (or dismiss) as possible contributors to an individuals dissatisfaction with modern gaming.

Edited by siuilarun
  • Like 1

You forgot the part where after you finish installing the game and you're like "ok, finally...action!" and then you have to wait another 25 mins while it downloads three patches.

I don't think of it has gotten worse exactly, the way I look at it is that there's more selection these days and that most of that selection is shitty haha. The market is bigger than it use to be and the bulk is now made up of a more casual audience and so the industry has responded by releasing less challenging games, on the whole. So if you're a serious gamer you might see this as being a decline in quality but I think the good games are still out there, you just have to be discerning (and it's not like there hasn't always been bad games for a veriety of reasons).

Personally I like a bit of both (challenging and casual) and am pretty content with the current state of gaming.

I do personally wish there was more strategy games on the PS3. Just got finished with XCOM and it reminded me why I love the genre so much.

Edited by lporiginalg

Its not that its going downhill... that much at least. but its because we are all grown up. Our childhood views and logic is different. We are smarter now (hopefully) more mature more thoughtout when it comes to what a good and exciting game is. Its just never going to be the same.

Nothing is wrong with the industry, sure I would be better if more new IPs were pushed out every year but that's rather minor. Even if you just getting sick of the this current gen of games go back and play some classics on we other console you hav and/or a remastered collection of something.

Its not that its going downhill... that much at least. but its because we are all grown up. Our childhood views and logic is different. We are smarter now (hopefully) more mature more thoughtout when it comes to what a good and exciting game is. Its just never going to be the same.

This I completely agree with I recently played Mario World and I was no where near as impressed as I remember, actually they are only a handful of games I know which I played recently from previous generations that make me 'wow' mainly from the classic feel and gameplay.