Are developers using the ps4 as the focus console?

Matthew_Banfield

In an interview with "the blurb", a need for speed: rivals producer voiced her opinion on how it was great to be able to develop a higher standard of graphics thanks to the ps4

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but to me this says that multiplatform titles are using the ps4 engine as their developing base?

What are your thoughts?

It doesn't mind me to be honest, maybe it is easier for them to work on their games using the PS4 engine and in that case, I don't mind. It's not easy to make a video game so sometimes they make the game on PC and port it to other consoles and sometimes they work from the console first and port it. It just depends on the developers themselves and their preference. As long as they don't screw up the game, they can go nuts with their developing base. :P

It doesn't mind me to be honest, maybe it is easier for them to work on their games using the PS4 engine and in that case, I don't mind. It's not easy to make a video game so sometimes they make the game on PC and port it to other consoles and sometimes they work from the console first and port it. It just depends on the developers themselves and their preference. As long as they don't screw up the game, they can go nuts with their developing base. :P

Haha true, I'm not sure of the technical stuff, but would a game run smoother if played on the console it was developed on?

Haha true, I'm not sure of the technical stuff, but would a game run smoother if played on the console it was developed on?

Generally, yes. But with the Xbone and PS4 being so similar to one another I think multiplatform games will play identical, or close to it. From what I have read though many developers are planning to use the PS4 as the console to develop for because it is more powerful. We'll have to wait until the next generation is underway to see what really happens though. 

Parker

Generally, yes. But with the Xbone and PS4 being so similar to one another I think multiplatform games will play identical, or close to it. From what I have read though many developers are planning to use the PS4 as the console to develop for because it is more powerful. We'll have to wait until the next generation is underway to see what really happens though. 

Parker

It's good to hear multiplatform games won't be too different, I found some were good on one console and not the other during the current gen

Games are developped on PC. They can then be optimised for consoles and particular consoles. PS4 does have more power, but will devs optimise the games for the PS4? this remains to be seen.

In regards to PS3, it was appaerently a pain in the jacksy to program for, which is the main reason why the games weren't optimised, except for exclusives.

I have a developer friend who works at Rocksteady and they had always developed on 360 first and then ported to PS3. 

With the next gen though it has all changed to PS4 as the lead platform because it is more productive and easier to develop on than the Xbox One.