State of the Game

Hey everyone,

Since the game is now over three years old, I was hoping to ask others who are currently playing the game if the current playable state of it has improved much since the early days of frequent patching. Is it still as buggy, glitchy, and prone to game crash/freezing as it was in 2016?

By far the worst lego star wars game, missions are long and dragged on (like a few cases in LEGO Marvel), pointless characters to unlock, and the most confusing character selection system in free play mode. Voice acting is ok, but ruin the "children game" aura that lies in older games.
Technically speaking, huge loading screens, from loading levels, to entering secondary missions that take place in another system. And LOTS of crashes, nothing corrupting your data, but maybe replaying levels to get minikits/trophies should be a thing. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 8:04 PM, Longbottom45 said:

By far the worst lego star wars game, missions are long and dragged on (like a few cases in LEGO Marvel), pointless characters to unlock, and the most confusing character selection system in free play mode. Voice acting is ok, but ruin the "children game" aura that lies in older games.
Technically speaking, huge loading screens, from loading levels, to entering secondary missions that take place in another system. And LOTS of crashes, nothing corrupting your data, but maybe replaying levels to get minikits/trophies should be a thing. 

Coming back to this now that I've put in at least 25 hours of playtime.... 

I've only had the game freeze on me once. It did not affect my game data at all. 

Totally agree with your points regarding the load screens, the incredibly puzzling character selection screen (took me quite a while to realize it was sorted alphabetically), and the tremendous number of superfluous unlockable characters that no one knows. Also, evidently lightsabers don't automatically repel/ricochet blaster fire in this one?? Other than all that, I'm enjoying it. I like all the side missions and all the hubs. I like that it's different enough from Complete Saga and the Harry Potter games (the only other LEGO games I've played). Definitely going to Platinum this one and cannot wait for Skywalker Saga.

Edited by KenobiEagle

On 08/01/2020 at 2:48 PM, KenobiEagle said:

Coming back to this now that I've put in at least 25 hours of playtime.... 

I've only had the game freeze on me once. It did not affect my game data at all. 

Totally agree with your points regarding the load screens, the incredibly puzzling character selection screen (took me quite a while to realize it was sorted alphabetically), and the tremendous number of superfluous unlockable characters that no one knows. Also, evidently lightsabers don't automatically repel/ricochet blaster fire in this one?? Other than all that, I'm enjoying it. I like all the side missions and all the hubs. I like that it's different enough from Complete Saga and the Harry Potter games (the only other LEGO games I've played). Definitely going to Platinum this one and cannot wait for Skywalker Saga.

To be honest, the only thing that made me play this was the Skywalker Saga announcement. Again, despite all problems, its a good plat to avoid getting angry on other more complex games.
And yeah, the lightsaber controls are pretty lame compared to a 2005 game.

I don't understand what went wrong with the lightsaber combat here. I actually enjoyed the feel of the different blasters this time around though. Nice looking trophies, fun trophy names, loads of content....it definitely scratched an itch. I don't regret playing this. 

Also, FTR, after playing all the way to 100% completion including the DLC, I only experienced the one freezing incident. Still, back up your file to the Cloud often just in case. But it would seem the game is in a much better state now than it was before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.12.2019 at 3:16 PM, KenobiEagle said:

Hey everyone,

Since the game is now over three years old, I was hoping to ask others who are currently playing the game if the current playable state of it has improved much since the early days of frequent patching. Is it still as buggy, glitchy, and prone to game crash/freezing as it was in 2016?

It is still very buggy. One time my savegame crashed. And also I had to replay many levels because of crashes.

• Like 1

On 28.1.2020 at 3:15 PM, Pinselneo said:

It is still very buggy. One time my savegame crashed. And also I had to replay many levels because of crashes.

me too, I had my scepsis going back into the game, will it do the same again, because it crashed and I hadnt uploaded to the cloud, so I had to start all over, really irratating since I had completed all story missions and needed the others stuff, so I left it for a few years, and then one day I thought maybe they have finally fixed this, it was a better experience, not a good experience though, but on another note lego dc villians was amazing

On 12/31/2019 at 9:16 AM, KenobiEagle said:

Hey everyone,

If it's the PS4 version you're talking about, well...the last mission is buggy. You might be like me and end up never getting the option to use lightsaber, so you have to restart. But, damn, the side quests take forever to do, since you keep going off-planet w/ loading screen galore. It just plain sucks. That said, i'm definitely going to get the new one coming out. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2020 at 1:04 AM, Longbottom45 said:

On 2/1/2020 at 8:17 PM, ArmoredSnowman said:

If it's the PS4 version you're talking about, well...the last mission is buggy. You might be like me and end up never getting the option to use lightsaber, so you have to restart. But, damn, the side quests take forever to do, since you keep going off-planet w/ loading screen galore. It just plain sucks. That said, i'm definitely going to get the new one coming out. 

I was trying not to rant on this game, but he deserves it. The game is too long and becomes boring. The side missions are a gazillion, most are the same crap over and over again, the space battles are tedious after the first 2 or 3 as the controls and everything is amateurish, the humour in the side quests is not funny or even well done. The last mission with Kylo Ren is highly susceptible to bugs everywhere. A gazillion pointless characters, no way to choose characters by ability (why is this missing?!?!?!?). The game just seems to be rushed collected crap to meet some time schedule or cash in on the movies release, and they just threw everything in to give loads of content instead of quality. At least only got 2 crashes and a few infinite loops that required restart, but did not lose any progress thankfully.

I like Lego games because of the humour and details and I've played a lot, and this one is one of the worst. It will be absolutely tedious to finish the DLC.

But my main reason to be pissed at it is the crap in the minikit collection on the flight paths. It's completely unreliable. Some I picked while not even being near them, one took me more than 30 plays to get even thought I would pass exactly in the required place. Considering the large load times and that you can't skip the stupid intros (how can this be possible...) it was a boring PITA. Hope few have the same bad luck.

EDIT Oh crap. Now that I almost finished the 100% I found out by accident that you can skip the boring letters into space intros if you press option followed by triangle. Almost cried over this... ??

The DLCs of the game are quite good, better and more varied than the game itself.

Edited by cris3f

• 1 year later...

so thought I would add my comments on this game as after first playing when it came out i then shelved it. Almost 3-4 years later I decided to plat it!

The game itself was okay, i love star wars and i love LEGO therefore on to a winner from the start. I agree the load times are a pain (least I knew how to skip the opening intros :):))

The side missions are tedious and damn there are so many. 

I've had 3-4 crashes over the last week.

The main irritant from me was the character selection... oh my god why oh why did they not allow you to sort on an ability. It took me forever to workout the dude that jumps into little ponds......

Overall good game but poor in comparison to some of the others! 

Think I may just do the DLS for the hell of it!