Sona's RPG Checklist

sona_11

3 minutes ago, hittheroadbucky said:

Your RPG list of completed games is so impressive and I’m very jealous! I aspire to your level of dedication ?

oh Thank you so much !! ✨

I'm trying my best, even though I don't play much these days 

• 3 weeks later...

:platinum: #109 Bloodstained : Ritual of the Night 

Overlord

1Le86174.png

Enjoyment : 5 / 10

Difficulty : 7 / 10

I wanted to play this game because I though it was similar to Odin Sphere, but I was wrong.

I realized how much I'm bad at metroidvania and how much I hate them --"

The story of the game seems all over the place and there are not many explanation given.

The characters could be more interesting if they flesh them out...

I feel this game was a wasted potential 

• 6 months later...

:platinum:#110 YS IX: MONSTRUM NOX

King of the Monstrums

1Le9585c.png

Enjoyment : 6/10

Platinum : 7/10

After almost half a year, I'm finally back for trophy hunting .... (all because of Genshin Impact orz) 

Anyway, since I enjoyed playing Ys VIII a lot, I though I had to buy this one. However, it was not as expected to be.

First, the setting and the environment where the story revolve isn't really as exciting as it was when I was exploring the island in VIII.

All the mysterious atmosphere the previous one had, was non existence in this one. 

When I heard the story is going to be in prison, I really believed and imagined it will be something like Prison Break (S1-3) with rpg elements and action but it wasn't even near that.

Another note, I've only played VIII and IX but why the first person Adol meet (and join the party) in the game is always an ojou san ? 

I was really disappointed when I realized that the monstrums were only temporarily form and not their true form. Also, their design were too flashy for monsters!

I thought since they're "monsters" they should be at least creepy a little bit not like they came out of a circus ?‍♀️

I honstly, didn't like the characters in this one and didn't even bother remembering their names, the only one I enjoyed seeing on screen was Hawk.

I really loved his comments on some events especially when he told the woman in black to just tell them what's happening instead of keep telling them to go find out by themselves. 

Another thing that bothers me is the cow girl. She's the spitting image of her normal form but were still surprised when they knew about her!! 

The designer didn't even bother to change anything. When they told her why she didn't tell them she said she was busy?? even though she 

attended their every meeting before in the bar ? like couldn't they find a better excuse ? really ?!

One of the thing I liked about this game that it made Adol more involve in the story! I was really happy when he actually talked and said few lines

Our silent hero is silent no more ! at least not entirely in this game ... 

Anyway, I really can't wait for his next adventure! I really grew to love him ~

• Like 2

On 19‏/3‏/2021 at 5:00 PM, IntroPhenom said:

How about Dragon Age?  Not sure if you have a PS3 (pardon me if you've stated already that you do or don't).  And don't discount Cat's Quest 1 and 2 just because they have a high platinum completion percentage.  Very quirky and run RPGs.

I have Ps3 but I don't use it anymore 

I'll probably check the game later, thanks for the recommendation ~

On 19‏/3‏/2021 at 5:12 PM, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Love this! RPGs, particularly jrpgs are my favorite, but you are on another level! love the dedication, looking forward to seeing progress

Thank you ... I'm trying my best >.<

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sona_11 said:

Thank you ... I'm trying my best >.<

I have been compiling a list of JRPGs, one for each letter of the alphabet, but lesser known ones or at least less popular, less mainstream ones. I got a few games I plan on finishing first, but I hope to start it soon! Will check your lists nd see if I see some good suggestions there based off of past ones 

• Like 1

On 26‏/3‏/2021 at 5:38 PM, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

I have been compiling a list of JRPGs, one for each letter of the alphabet, but lesser known ones or at least less popular, less mainstream ones. I got a few games I plan on finishing first, but I hope to start it soon! Will check your lists nd see if I see some good suggestions there based off of past ones 

I checked your trophy list and it has a really nice rpg games ... some of them I can't wait to play 

My next game will probably be Persona 5 Strikers 

Anyway, good luck with trophy hunting ~

• 4 weeks later...

:platinum:#111 PERSONA 5 STRIKERS

True Phantom Thief

1L42d689.png

Enjoyment : 3/10

Platinum : 5/10

Oh god, I have sooo many things I want to say about this game but I know my English is gonna fail me.

First, the story of this game is nothing special or different than the last one. People do things "immorally" = PT change their hearts.

The only chapter that piqued my interest just a little bit was the second for the writer. Since I'm a writer myself, I could understand the fear of that person. 

The fear that not many people would like to read your book no matter how hard you work on it. Aside from that, I didn't enjoy a single thing in this game.

The game felt so shallow and empty and so liner. There is no mini-game, no confidence, no nothing. I mean it's not like they couldn't implement these things,

but they didn't want to bother themselves because they know the game will sell. I mean in the second chapter they could let us play some mini-games at the festival.

In the beach chapter, they could let us play maybe beach volley or smash a watermelon or something. 

I understand were their story is coming from. Like in the future people will stick to their phones and ask for help from an AI and all

but I don't think they explain it or applied it in a way that makes it more interesting ?! that's what I think anyway.

The final boss was just a duplicate of the previous one, story-wise.

Also, Emma? Promised Land? *cough* Promised Neverland *cough* coincidence ? I don't think so

Also, one of the thing that made my cringe so hard was the replicated scene of the hot spring they took from Persona 3.

The scene was not exactly funny the first time, why did they think it would be funny this time !!

There is also that scene when they didn't bother to show Makoto's sister, I was like "why? just why?"

I should thank this game for making me hate musou game from the depth of my heart.

Playing it was such a chore, there was no strategy, no tactics no nothing. 

And I HATE how they make a complete dialogue during an effing boss fight !! Like am I supposed to read the dialogue, focus on the boss

or listen to Futaba's instructions ?? and the fact that the music's sound is higher than theirs doesn't help at all

Every time I play a person 5 game I realize how naïve these kids are, and I don't like it. I hope they stop milking this part and start making P6

with maybe a college protagonist for a change. 

now I think I'll take a rest from gaming and work on my book ~

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sona_11 said:

:platinum:#111 PERSONA 5 STRIKERS

True Phantom Thief

1L42d689.png

Platinum : 5/10

Oh god, I have sooo many things I want to say about this game but I know my English is gonna fail me.

First, the story of this game is nothing special or different than the last one. People do things "immorally" = PT change their hearts.

The only chapter that piqued my interest just a little bit was the second for the writer. Since I'm a writer myself, I could understand the fear of that person. 

The fear that not many people would like to read your book no matter how hard you work on it. Aside from that, I didn't enjoy a single thing in this game.

The game felt so shallow and empty and so liner. There is no mini-game, no confidence, no nothing. I mean it's not like they couldn't implement these things,

but they didn't want to bother themselves because they know the game will sell. I mean in the second chapter they could let us play some mini-games at the festival.

In the beach chapter, they could let us play maybe beach volley or smash a watermelon or something. 

I understand were their story is coming from. Like in the future people will stick to their phones and ask for help from an AI and all

but I don't think they explain it or applied it in a way that makes it more interesting ?! that's what I think anyway.

The final boss was just a duplicate of the previous one, story-wise.

Also, Emma? Promised Land? *cough* Promised Neverland *cough* coincidence ? I don't think so

Also, one of the thing that made my cringe so hard was the replicated scene of the hot spring they took from Persona 3.

The scene was not exactly funny the first time, why did they think it would be funny this time !!

There is also that scene when they didn't bother to show Makoto's sister, I was like "why? just why?"

I should thank this game for making me hate musou game from the depth of my heart.

Playing it was such a chore, there was no strategy, no tactics no nothing. 

And I HATE how they make a complete dialogue during an effing boss fight !! Like am I supposed to read the dialogue, focus on the boss

or listen to Futaba's instructions ?? and the fact that the music's sound is higher than theirs doesn't help at all

Every time I play a person 5 game I realize how naïve these kids are, and I don't like it. I hope they stop milking this part and start making P6

with maybe a college protagonist for a change. 

now I think I'll take a rest from gaming and work on my book ~

Ah, I was hoping you would enjoy it, but it looks like thats not the case! I agree it's much more streamlined, and I think that people looking for a big, meaty JRPG experience were going in with high expectations from 5 and Royal, just to be let down. I believe the streamlined style fits with the musou play, and especially because its their summer vacation; just like in the real world its like it goes by so fast and before you know it its over. I was a bit bummed the relationships with the characters were dived into much, but I found the game enjoyable overall. I enjoy musou games (to an extent) but I feel like this one was a decent hybrid of that and rpg elements. 

I agree that maybe in Persona 6 we can get a more mature cast, its to the point where Ryuji's FOR REAL?! is a meme unto itself lol

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

:platinum:#112 THE LEGEND OF HEROES: TRAILS OF COLD STEEL II

The Ashen Chevalier

1Lafd2ca.png

Enjoyment : 4/10

Platinum : 7/10

This game should be called Cringe and cliché overload.
I’ve already complained about this game when I played the first one, and it didn’t change much in this one.
Actually, they add more to it. The story was interesting but the amount of cringe and anime clichés ruined the experience for me.
It has too many characters that are bland and boring, and don’t let me start with that purple woman that into young girls ?

I wish someone would tell them that they’re working on a game not a novel for god’s sake!!
The amount of dialogue in this game is insane. I swear if they could cut 75% of it, the story will still be told and understood.
The entire game was like a filler where the only important parts were the 10% at the beginning and the 10% at the end.

The trophies were so stressful and overwhelming. I had to hold into my phone during the whole game to make sure I won’t miss anything.

Which is something I hate to do. I prefer to play a game and experience it myself, and then check the trophies.
Also, I hate how they force you to see all the characters’ bonding events when I barely cared about any of them.

I saw some cut-scenes for the next two games and oh god the train of disgust and cringe doesn’t stop here, it actually gets worse … yep totally dropping this ?

Edited by sona_11

• 4 weeks later...

:platinum: #113 NIER REPLICANT VER.1.22474487139

The Final Verse

1L41b8b9.png

Enjoyment : 8/10

Platinum : 3/10

If depression was a game.

I remember watching the cut-scenes of the ps3 version on YouTube because I couldn't play it.

My English wasn't that good so I didn't understand much but I do remember some of the important parts.

I though I was ready when I started this one but I was wrong ... and it still hurts ="(

I liked the dynamic between the characters and their short dialogues they had with each other.

I also really enjoyed reading the weapon stories and liked how some of them tell stories about Drakengard.

*spoiler* I realized some people view Nier as immoral person but to me I honestly didn't care... I only felt bad

for the shadowlord, what a bad luck he has ... imagine waiting for 1400 years for nothing *spoiler*

One of the things that annoyed me the most in this game was the translation.

Square Enix had always had shi**y translation in their games but GOD this one take the prize!

They change, mistranslate, and add things as they wish and it was really frustrating.

Shiro seemed like he is an arrogant book while in reality he's a grumpy grandpa 

Same with Kaine. She didn't curse every time she opens her mouth, but that what they did in the translation

Unfortunately this game doesn't explain everything for you, so If you want to know more,

you need to research and google things yourself to understand more about the game lore.

There're things that make sense and some don't and I honestly find the lore in this series more complex than KH  

I could list MANY questions that I don't understand but this will turn to a lengthy essays ....

For the trophies well, I played my fair share of jrpgs so this game's trophies are decent compared to others *cough* Star Ocean *cough*

I enjoyed this game way more than Garbage Automata and I would hope for Drakengard 3 remaster but I think I'll be asking for too much

since apparently this series' time in console has ended and now moving to mobile.

I doubt there would be any new game for this series since it seems it pretty much ended (excluding NieR Reincarnation) 

poor poor Emil

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

:platinum: #114 CODE VEIN

Revenant Preeminent

1L2e830e.png

Enjoyment : 6/10

Platinum : 7/10

The thing that attracted me the most about this game were the character customization and Louie and definitely NOT the gameplay.

I hate souls game because when you play them you suffer rather than have fun .. so I was reluctant to weather play it or not.

So, I asked a friend if she would like to play this game with me so we could help each other and here we are ~

To this day I still didn't fully understand the gameplay mechanics of this game and was mostly rescued by random in co-op.

The monsters hit like a truck and the bosses will one-shot you and you are dead

Also, too much fanservice for my liking ... 

I really like the gothic theme and the atmosphere in the base. I spent most my time there just chilling around, taking pictures, and dancing!

The story was ok but I think they could've make it better. I wished if we could interact more with the characters or play some mini-games in the base

rather than just stare at them or talk to them about the missions and all that boring stuff ... you know something like bonding would be great!

I wish they but more work on the vestiges (characters' past) I mean they don't even move their lips when they speak!

Nonetheless, I will be really happy if they made a sequel with improvement to the game, change the gameplay and make it less-like souls ?

My characters:

Spoiler

37747626d393d9de04ce8127c4734b9cf9c8c414

636537997f1dbc15d09623b5a86ece6ad303c68b

• 1 month later...

:platinum: #116 ATELIER ESCHA & LOGY: ALCHEMISTS OF THE DUSK SKY DX

Trophy Completionist

1L5af010.png

Enjoyment : 7/10

Platinum : 5/10

This is the 4th Atelier game I've played so far.

I've wanted to play this game for one reason: the relationship between the two protagonists.

it's pretty known that there is no romance in Atelier games except this one, and it's funny because this is the only game that got an Anime adaptation,

which could possible imply that it's actually liked by many people. So I wonder why they don't make another one with romance interactions!

Anyways, let's talk about the gameplay and the story. The gameplay was similar to the Arland series but for some reason it took me a long time

to understand it especially the synthesis, and when I started the game I didn't follow a guide so I screwed my playthrough; thank god I had an early save.

The story is actually good but they only focused on it at the end of the game, like at the last 20% while the 80% was mostly about the daily life of the characters.

I hated farming for gears and properties which was the thing that take most of my time but it was worth it at the end.

The most thing I love about this game is Escha and Logy's relationship, it was so cute and fluffy and enjoyed seeing the POV of

each of these character in their respective route!

This probably gonna be the last Atelier game I play since most of them don't interest me 

Another RPG series to drop

• 5 months later...

:platinum: #118 THE ALLIANCE ALIVE

Alliance Alive

1L3a4490.png

Platinum : 7/10

I started this game thinking I'll really enjoy it. Little did I know that I'll suffer with every minutes I spent playing it.

The story was lackluster and the characters have boring personality and zero development.

Also, I never realized how much I like voice acting until I played this game, since it doesn't have any!!

The trophies - for me - was a pure torture. Getting all the arts of all the weapons made me almost giving up on this plat.

There's another trophy which requires beating a boss that "you don't have to beat because losing will progress the story" was really annoying.

Especially since he was so strong that I have to grind for 2 playthroughs and I barely barely won ?

I spent months playing and dropping this game until I finally got the plat a week ago.

Don't recommend this game to anyone unless you want a motive to kill yourself 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sona_11 said:

:platinum: #118 THE ALLIANCE ALIVE

Alliance Alive

1L3a4490.png

I started this game thinking I'll really enjoy it. Little did I know that I'll suffer with every minutes I spent playing it.

The story was lackluster and the characters have boring personality and zero development.

Also, I never realized how much I like voice acting until I played this game, since it doesn't have any!!

The trophies - for me - was a pure torture. Getting all the arts of all the weapons made me almost giving up on this plat.

There's another trophy which requires beating a boss that "you don't have to beat because losing will progress the story" was really annoying.

Especially since he was so strong that I have to grind for 2 playthroughs and I barely barely won ?

I spent months playing and dropping this game until I finally got the plat a week ago.

Don't recommend this game to anyone unless you want a motive to kill yourself 

I completely agree with you.  I didn't bother finishing it (though I do intend to), but the base RPG experience (aka the parts we would have played on the 3DS, without RPGs) are hella boring half the time.  How'd you like the transportation options?  I hope that it gets better after awhile, because the two forms I had last I played suck.  

Mad props for finishing it off though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, willythom88 said:

I completely agree with you.  I didn't bother finishing it (though I do intend to), but the base RPG experience (aka the parts we would have played on the 3DS, without RPGs) are hella boring half the time.  How'd you like the transportation options?  I hope that it gets better after awhile, because the two forms I had last I played suck.  

Mad props for finishing it off though.

Thanks !

The transportation was good at my opinion since you can “fast travel” using the flying ship to cities/regions.

Good luck in your journey with this game !

• 4 weeks later...

:platinum: #119 HACK//G.U. LAST RECODE 

King of The World

1Lbc3160.png

Enjoyment : 4.5/10

Platinum : 4/10

Oh boy do I have a lot to say about this game but since I love to keep things brief, I'll just mention the things that annoyed me the most.  

First, I had to say that this game has the ugliest characters design I've ever seen aside from the protag. (there I said it)

So the story is basically about a character who haven't touched the grass in a while is obsessed with an online game and spend

unhealthy amount of time playing it. Problems happen in this online game and for some reason he feels responsible to solve all

the game's problems! Oh yeah and the developers of the online game can't fix them too... wow

The problem with this game is that I doesn't know how to explain its story. As much as I hate SAO, it actually explains

to the viewer how the story works inside and outside of the online game. Their mind is inside of the game because of the VR

and outside of the game you can't plug out the VR because they'll die instantly; Clear enough for me!

But this game doesn't explain anything to you and want you desperately to care about the characters that you can barely relate to.

Like in the game they FEEL everything that happen inside the game like if there is glitch or something but then they procced to show

you that a character is playing the game while he's in the hospital !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like do they use PC ? VR ? Phone ? Gaming console ?

I have no idea !

As in most Japanese media (anime and games) you can't have a story without an annoying female plot device, am I right? 

This PD was so cringe and cliché the whole time she appeared on screen and the "please notice me" and "you should love me"

attitude didn't help at all and made her even more annoying and pathetic than she already is. And the thing I find hilarious about

her story is that she has a strict parents but then they make her spend unhealthy amount of time playing online game !!!

I reached a stage where I couldn't bother to watch all the cut-scenes, and I couldn't count how much I rolled my eyes

or yell at the screen just to be done with whatever things they were doing. The fact that the characters see this game as if it's more

important than real life and care about it is beyond me! and it's funny because the problems they have will disappear if they you know

.... just stop playing the game ? Probably the only thing that I was able to care about was the protag. because of his voice actor

who made him more interesting. 

75% of the game is only a filler and the 25% is the actually story. The game force to you do some boring side quests (that is repeated

in every Volume) for no reason just to make you feel that the game is long. They only give you 5 levels/dungeons that you need to play over

and over and over and over again and all the volumes and expect you to not complain. And with each volumes the same dungeon that you 

did a hundred of times become longer and you need 25 minutes to just finish ONE dungeon !!!

Honestly the moment you see the trophy list you will realize that the game has nothing to offer since most of the trophies

require you to do this or that a hundreds of time for no particular reason!

The gameplay was beyond boring since it only consist of pressing :cross::cross::circle: and repeat. There is a bar that you

can fill to unleash your ultimate power but it only one button press and there are skills that you can use once in a blue moon 

and you gotta wait for it to recharge for some reason! 

Maybe the game was a hit during its time, but it didn't age well imo

Do I recommend it ? if it's cheap and ur not interested in trophies than yeah maybe, but if ur not then no

• 1 month later...

:platinum: #120 STRANGER OF PARADISE: FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN

A Tale of Origins and Endings

1L93633a.png

Enjoyment : 6.5/10

Honestly, this game was never in my plan-to-play list but videogamedunkey convinced me otherwise

After watching his video I decide to buy the game and I don't regret it.

it's true that I had to look an explanation on the internet to understand the story but it was not that bad at all.

it made me want to wish that they make a remake of the first Final Fantasy game because the story looks really interesting.

Since I'm not really good at Action RPG games I had some difficulty finishing this game and earning some of the trophies.

Though, I did had fun switching between different jobs and was not able to settle on one.

The only downside for this game was the graphics, when my brother saw me playing it, he thought i was playing a ps3 game!

Now I want to play a more relaxing and colorful game