Sona's RPG Checklist

sona_11

2 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Good list so far but how is Persona 4 Golden not on your list 1f632.png

Also if I could recommend the 3 Dragon Fantasy Book games and Earthlock. All are great throwback RPGs to the NES, SNES and Playstation.

I don’t own a psvita anymore ?

It was only lent to me by a friend and now she took it back 

Thanks I’ll check them out ??

2 hours ago, JABing said:

I assume you are limiting this list to games with trophies? 

Nope, I also play rpgs on Nintendo Switch too ✨

5 minutes ago, sona_11 said:

I don’t own a psvita anymore 1f494.png

It was only lent to me by a friend and now she took it back 

Thanks I’ll check them out 1f44d-1f3fc.png

Nope, I also play rpgs on Nintendo Switch too 2728.png

Too bad :(

But yeah the others are great...and I think they can all be gotten on PS4. Earthlock can for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sona_11 said:

I have this uncontrollable love for RPG games.

Never control it! Embrace the love of the greatest genre in gaming!!!

Also, that's an excellent list you have! So many games on there that are still on my own backlog :P One day I will achieve your greatness and complete all of those games too!

I see Tales of Xillia is on your list of planned games - I'm currently playing through that as well just now, and I highly recommend it! It's definitely up there in my list of favourite Tales games! Not quite Symphonia level, but probably close with Vesperia! The story and characters are great!

The only games I can think of that aren't on your list are the Drakengard games (and also NieR / NieR Automata, which are loose spinoffs from the Drakengard universe). They're excellent JRPGs and I'd highly recommend having a look into them :) The combat in Drakengard and the first NieR is quite slow, but the excellent stories more than make up for it! The first NieR game gave me so many feels!

There's also the Disgaea games - they're more Strategy/Tactical RPG than the games in your list, but seeing as we seem to have similar tastes, I imagine you'd enjoy them too. I'm currently playing Disgaea 3, which is regarded by a lot of fans as the worst entry, and I'm really enjoying it so far - so I'm looking forward to trying out the other entries later too!

There's also the Shadow Hearts series, though they're only on PS2. But they're truly excellent games if you have a way to play them.

Or if you're looking for smaller, lesser-known games along the same lines, then I personally enjoyed Shiness The Lightning Kingdom - which is currently on sale for only £1.99 - a total steal. It's not as good as any of the big entries that you've played so far, but it's decent enough - though it kind of feels like it had more potential than what they were able to do with it with a limited budget. And I recently played and enjoyed Akiba's Beat - it's a kind of wannabe Tales/Persona hybrid game but it's got a very lighthearted tone to it. It's nowhere near as good as its inspirations, but I thought it was still fairly enjoyable, and the interactions between the characters are great. Dungeons are a total drag though, which was very disappointing. Lastly, and this one is probably the most out there suggestion, Okage Shadow King was one of my favourite JRPGs on PS2, and it's now available on PS4. The art is weird, and so is the game in general, but its good, lighthearted fun for JRPG lovers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kristycism said:

Never control it! Embrace the love of the greatest genre in gaming!!!

Also, that's an excellent list you have! So many games on there that are still on my own backlog :P One day I will achieve your greatness and complete all of those games too!

I see Tales of Xillia is on your list of planned games - I'm currently playing through that as well just now, and I highly recommend it! It's definitely up there in my list of favourite Tales games! Not quite Symphonia level, but probably close with Vesperia! The story and characters are great!

The only games I can think of that aren't on your list are the Drakengard games (and also NieR / NieR Automata, which are loose spinoffs from the Drakengard universe). They're excellent JRPGs and I'd highly recommend having a look into them :) The combat in Drakengard and the first NieR is quite slow, but the excellent stories more than make up for it! The first NieR game gave me so many feels!

There's also the Disgaea games - they're more Strategy/Tactical RPG than the games in your list, but seeing as we seem to have similar tastes, I imagine you'd enjoy them too. I'm currently playing Disgaea 3, which is regarded by a lot of fans as the worst entry, and I'm really enjoying it so far - so I'm looking forward to trying out the other entries later too!

There's also the Shadow Hearts series, though they're only on PS2. But they're truly excellent games if you have a way to play them.

Or if you're looking for smaller, lesser-known games along the same lines, then I personally enjoyed Shiness The Lightning Kingdom - which is currently on sale for only £1.99 - a total steal. It's not as good as any of the big entries that you've played so far, but it's decent enough - though it kind of feels like it had more potential than what they were able to do with it with a limited budget. And I recently played and enjoyed Akiba's Beat - it's a kind of wannabe Tales/Persona hybrid game but it's got a very lighthearted tone to it. It's nowhere near as good as its inspirations, but I thought it was still fairly enjoyable, and the interactions between the characters are great. Dungeons are a total drag though, which was very disappointing. Lastly, and this one is probably the most out there suggestion, Okage Shadow King was one of my favourite JRPGs on PS2, and it's now available on PS4. The art is weird, and so is the game in general, but its good, lighthearted fun for JRPG lovers.

Thank you !

Yep, I'm still looking for a physical copy of TOX since my internet speed isn't that good orz

I did play Nier automata but it looks like i forgot to include it xP. Actually I'm hoping that they release a remaster version for Neir so I can play it ....

Disgaea series has been on my mind for a while but I'm not sure which game should I start with ?

I played one of Shadow Hearts games back on ps2, I think it was the third one ? Shadow Hearts From the New World

Akiba's beat is on my list but i keep postpone it for a while because there are other games that interest me more, but i'll definitely buy it one day ?

I heard that Shiness The Lightning Kingdom has a lot of glitches that's why I avoid it ?

On 3/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, Grotz99 said:

Also, Battle Chasers: Nightwar is a fun little turn based rpg if you are looking for recommendations.

Happens to be on sale in the US store right now too ($7.49) - guess I will pick it up as well!

On 3/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, sona_11 said:

Nope, I also play rpgs on Nintendo Switch too 2728.png

How far back we talking then, because boy is there a massive list. PS1? PS2? PS3?

5 hours ago, JABing said:

Happens to be on sale in the US store right now too ($7.49) - guess I will pick it up as well!

How far back we talking then, because boy is there a massive list. PS1? PS2? PS3?

PS3 : Yes 

but I don’t own PS1 or PS2 anymore 

If you enjoyed DQ 11, I recommend you Dark Cloud 1 & 2 as they were made by the same developer.  Both are from the PS2 era and I had good time playing them back then.   Wild Arms 3 is good too but it can be a bit archaic by today's standards.

Edited by milanbarca82
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 7:10 AM, sona_11 said:

Disgaea series has been on my mind for a while but I'm not sure which game should I start with 

Five, definitely. If you sped through it, you could get the platinum for Disgaea 5 in six hours minimum. Casually, you could get it in a few days.

Disgaea 4 Complete is being run now on my PS4 but I wouldn't recommend it as your first as you have to brutally grind a lot and do a New Game+ to get the various endings for trophies. But the original PS3 version and the Vita versions were far worse - the Vita version requires you to do a tournament scenario with really high level enemy teams, and the original required you to get all of the bad endings.

The Disgaea 3 platinums are pretty bad even though the games are good. Disgaea D2 is a fun game but you have to grind bad endings to get save icons for a trophy. I got it once and said 'nope, never again.' :( Disgaea 1 Complete is probably the simplest list but it's based on the PC version of the original Disgaea and therefore most of the stuff you find in the later games isn't there in this one. There is not even a cheat shop to increase your EXP gain, you have to grind insane hours to get to Level 1000. :|

Definitely do Disgaea 5 first.

6 hours ago, Rune_Crys said:

Wow, you have a dedication to RPGs that is obscene. I really hope to match that list someday. :D

Thanks ! I'm proud of my list ✨

5 hours ago, Rune_Crys said:

Five, definitely. If you sped through it, you could get the platinum for Disgaea 5 in six hours minimum. Casually, you could get it in a few days.

Disgaea 4 Complete is being run now on my PS4 but I wouldn't recommend it as your first as you have to brutally grind a lot and do a New Game+ to get the various endings for trophies. But the original PS3 version and the Vita versions were far worse - the Vita version requires you to do a tournament scenario with really high level enemy teams, and the original required you to get all of the bad endings.

The Disgaea 3 platinums are pretty bad even though the games are good. Disgaea D2 is a fun game but you have to grind bad endings to get save icons for a trophy. I got it once and said 'nope, never again.' :( Disgaea 1 Complete is probably the simplest list but it's based on the PC version of the original Disgaea and therefore most of the stuff you find in the later games isn't there in this one. There is not even a cheat shop to increase your EXP gain, you have to grind insane hours to get to Level 1000. :|

Definitely do Disgaea 5 first.

Then I'll start with Disgaea 5, if I like it I might check the others ... ~

5 hours ago, milanbarca82 said:

If you enjoyed DQ 11, I recommend you Dark Cloud 1 & 2 as they were made by the same developer.  Both are from the PS2 era and I had good time playing them back then.   Wild Arms 3 is good too but it can be a bit archaic by today's standards.

DQ 11 is one of my favorite games, so I'll play Dark Cloud for sure, just waiting for a good discount ?

I'll check Wild Arms 3 too ~

1 hour ago, sona_11 said:

DQ 11 is one of my favorite games, so I'll play Dark Cloud for sure, just waiting for a good discount

It should be on sale today, PSN is having a Mega March Madness sale for a lot of games. I bought both Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2(I started with this game and it's more fun to play but less exploitable for trophies) for 60% off. Go check out the store and hopefully the Dark Cloud series(which never got continued, which is a shame as I enjoyed the world-building mechanics) will be on your planned platinum list soon. ;)

6 minutes ago, Rune_Crys said:

It should be on sale today, PSN is having a Mega March Madness sale for a lot of games. I bought both Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2(I started with this game and it's more fun to play but less exploitable for trophies) for 60% off. Go check out the store and hopefully the Dark Cloud series(which never got continued, which is a shame as I enjoyed the world-building mechanics) will be on your planned platinum list soon. ;)

Thanks for informing me, but i just checked on ps prices and it looks like it had a way cheaper price, so i'll just wait for that 

Also I just bought three games ( DQH2, Tokyo Mirage Session, and Animal Corssing NH ), so i'm somehow broke... ?

• 3 weeks later...

:platinum: #100 Persona 5 Royal

The Phenomenal Phantom Thief

1Lc50cb2.png

Difficulty : 5

Enjoyment : 8.5

• A good improvement for the vanilla version. Really Enjoyed revisiting this game again
  • The new character "Kasmui" was ( as expected ) a plot device for the new antagonist
  • Loved the new Showtime attacks, especially Ann and Yusuke's ?
  • I really thought Jose was going to be important but his existence was pointless
  • The ending wasn't bad but loved the original one much more

moving on to the next game ~

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

:platinum: #101 Final Fantasy VII REMAKE

Master of Fate

1Lfeaf2f.png

Enjoyment : 7

Difficulty : 7

I haven't played the original game, but I played Crisis Core and I'm pretty familiar with all the characters ( thank you KH ).

The story was OK, but I really disliked the linearity in the game and made it boring for me in some chapters.

The gameplay was fun, and I'm glad they didn't make it like FFXV gameplay.

The graphics was bad at some parts of the game you could never believe they spent 5y making it ^^"

-----------------

:platinum: #102 Dragon Quest Heroes 2

Glory Hunter

1L6455bb.png

Enjoyment : 8

Difficulty : 6

I really felt like playing Dragon quest and musou game so I picked it up.
It's similar to the first one with some interesting additions. The characters were varied and more enjoyable to play as not like the 1st one.
I enjoyed playing as Angelo (Kukule), he's such an OP, never thought I'll enjoy playing as an archer.
The story was good, and they really surprised me with the twist they included.

The trophies are grindy as heck but they are doable ~

I don't know if you have played Persona 3? The FES version is on the playstation store on PS3, for like €10 (+/- $11) when i bought it, and it's to Persona 3 what Royal is to 5. Also, for platinums, the Dancing Persona games perhaps? You could even have 2 extra platinums. The 4 dancing game, I wouldn't recommend if you haven't played Persona 4 Golden.

Also, Why not play the other Trails of Cold Steel games?

On 5/11/2020 at 4:06 PM, Berendsapje said:

I don't know if you have played Persona 3? The FES version is on the playstation store on PS3, for like €10 (+/- $11) when i bought it, and it's to Persona 3 what Royal is to 5. Also, for platinums, the Dancing Persona games perhaps? You could even have 2 extra platinums. The 4 dancing game, I wouldn't recommend if you haven't played Persona 4 Golden.

Also, Why not play the other Trails of Cold Steel games?

I have played a little bit of Persona 3 on my PSP and I enjoyed it, but it’s not consistent like Persona 5 ( school > investigate > palace > free time and then repeat ) 

I played both Persona 3 and 5 dancing ( the JP version ) but I don’t own a psvita so I can’t play Persona 4 dancing. Even tho I didn’t play P4 Golden but I did watch the anime ( both versions ).

I’m not a big fan of Trails of Cold Steel.

• 1 month later...

:platinum: #104 Tales of Xillia

Lord of Xillia

1Lbf6527.png

Enjoyment : 5 / 10

Difficulty : 4 / 10

Wasn't really expecting anything from it, and it's still bad as I thought it would be

You can find the full review here, because I don't want to write anything about this game anymore ^^"

I don't think I'll play TOX2 because of that horrible voice acting :facepalm:

I wonder what should I play next ....~

35 minutes ago, Aceterix said:

I'd just like to recommend rogue galaxy to your list, thoroughly enjoyable and available to play on ps4, otherwise great list and you have a lot of games to keep you busy there!

Thank you, I'll definitely check it out ✨

• 1 month later...

:platinum: #106 Akiba's Beat

Beat Akiba's

1L33e460.png

Enjoyment : 1 / 10

Difficulty : 4 / 10

This game is a combination of Tokyo Xanadu and Tales of, but it actually fail in every aspects.

The game has a lame jokes, cringe characters, and boring story.

The gameplay feels like you're playing a PS2 game and the graphics is non-existence. 

Also, I hate how the game force you to re-explore the dungeons over and over and over again in every chapter for no particular reason.

They just want to make the game longer so they let you repeat the same thing the whole game.

I honestly skipped 75% of the cut-scene (if you can actually call them that) because only 25%  that matters, the rest are jokes about how the protagonist is always late ?

I don't recommend this game at all, avoid it for your own sake. I  still don't know how I finished it :facepalm: