The grind is real...

RNumbers

TL;DR: Too long, don't play.

So hopefully I was the only one dumb enough to try to squeeze in 100% before server closure, but be warned that the grind is pretty crazy.

200 matches (minimum) for the Beyond Fond trophy. Ok, fine. Even with loading times it's pretty manageable.

Challenger has the hidden requirement that you have to get through DOZENS of training quests to even access the challenge quests. You can do 2-3 per match, but some require you to spend a lot of time per match. Fortunately once you clear the training quests 5 challenge quests is trivial.

10 ongoing quests... Yeesh. The first tiers are mostly pretty easy: play on 10 different days, win 50 matches, etc. But since I need 10 I'll probably end up trying to get 500,000 quarks or even the 1 million quarks. Nothing too challenging, but it'll take weeks of pretty dedicated play.

Level 20... Not sure how I'm going to do this. The math is pretty discouraging. 19k exp needed total (100 for level 1, 200 for level 2, and so on). You usually get like 50 or so for a win. For those keeping score at home, that means close to 400 matches (if you win them all). Fortunately the first match of the day seems to give more like 150, but still this is pretty dire given the game shuts down in ~75 days. Not sure if multiple boosting partners would result in better exp gain. I'll have to experiment a bit.

Given the player stats I doubt anyone will read this, but I felt the need to vent.

Currently at level 9 with 3600 exp. Less than 20% :/

• Like 2

Me and tgrz314 are two other dumb enough to try to get 100% before the shutdown.

Up to now I'm feeling like it's not that bad.

I have been tracking progress for Ongoing quests in a spreadsheet (my plan will be to focus on wins after all, squeezing some lower tiers for skills, eaters and quarks), everything seems pretty much on par with the supposed progress.

For XP, let's put an average of 500 per hour (50 per match of 5 minutes plus some loadings and matchmaking - realistically, we should count 400 per hour, but whatever)

That's 38 hours of XP grinding. But you will take turns with a boosting partner and earn a bit less, so it ends being around the 50 hours needed for the trophy.

Probably the best (not the quickest) way to farm XP is to search for a match and just idle past the 5 minute mark, then a quick surrender ends the match with no penalties.

As 95% of the time you'll be idling, that's not too bad: you can do some work, read a book, play Vita (even PS3 if you have dual monitors, yay), watch some anime/series/movies/whatever

That doesn't feel too bad of a grind for me, but after Orcs Must Die Unchained 300 hours or so (no tricks, no idling, just boredom) I might have got desensitized for grinds lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

For XP, let's put an average of 500 per hour (50 per match of 5 minutes plus some loadings and matchmaking - realistically, we should count 400 per hour, but whatever)

That's 38 hours of XP grinding. But you will take turns with a boosting partner and earn a bit less, so it ends being around the 50 hours needed for the trophy.

Probably the best (not the quickest) way to farm XP is to search for a match and just idle past the 5 minute mark, then a quick surrender ends the match with no penalties.

As 95% of the time you'll be idling, that's not too bad: you can do some work, read a book, play Vita (even PS3 if you have dual monitors, yay), watch some anime/series/movies/whatever

I've made pretty good progress over the past few days, sitting at ~7k experience now. It's certainly doable, though the VR makes the grind seem even worse to me.

I'd love to know how you're getting 400 exp per hour. 5 minute matches only result in 30-35 exp (for the WINNER; less than half that for the loser), and matchmaking/setup/loading takes close to 5 minutes on its own. I'd expect you to be closer to 200/hr based on what you're describing.

Here are some other observations on exp:

-Winner gets a 20 exp win bonus

-As mentioned above, you get about 33 exp for a 5 minute match, or 13 without the win bonus

-As far as I can tell, only time spent in game increases exp (that and win bonus, natch)

-The MAX it seems you can get from one match is 100 (120 with win bonus). I've hit this twice and it seems too coincidental otherwise

Edited by RNumbers
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

I've made pretty good progress over the past few days, sitting at ~7k experience now. It's certainly doable, though the VR makes the grind seem even worse to me.

I'd love to know how you're getting 400 exp per hour. 5 minute matches only result in 30-35 exp (for the WINNER; less than half that for the loser), and matchmaking/setup/loading takes close to 5 minutes on its own. I'd expect you to be closer to 200/hr based on what you're describing.

Here are some other observations on exp:

-Winner gets a 20 exp win bonus

-As mentioned above, you get about 33 exp for a 5 minute match, or 13 without the win bonus

-As far as I can tell, only time spent in game increases exp (that and win bonus, natch)

-The MAX it seems you can get from one match is 100 (120 with win bonus). I've hit this twice and it seems too coincidental otherwise

On a different note, the game has now TWICE failed to increment my "days played" quest. Not sure what's behind this, but it seems to be glitchy. Might be due to when it considers a day to start/end, but I haven't gone 24 hours without playing for the past week or so, so something is definitely off.

Me and my partner haven't started grinding XP yet, so my estimates are certainly off.

Let's say an average of 25xp (35xp on wins and 15 on losses) per minute match.

So it should be around 150 to 200 xp per hour (150xp if you count 5 minutes between searching and loading, however that's probably close to 3 minutes from my experience)

Well, it sits around 100 hours for the XP farming then.

I would be bored to death locked inside the VR lol, but as you can grind it looking at your TV and idling most of the time, it shouldn't be that bad, time to complete some Vita games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdinhoN said:

Me and my partner haven't started grinding XP yet, so my estimates are certainly off.

Let's say an average of 25xp (35xp on wins and 15 on losses) per minute match.

So it should be around 150 to 200 xp per hour (150xp if you count 5 minutes between searching and loading, however that's probably close to 3 minutes from my experience)

Well, it sits around 100 hours for the XP farming then.

I would be bored to death locked inside the VR lol, but as you can grind it looking at your TV and idling most of the time, it shouldn't be that bad, time to complete some Vita games

Yep, sounds right. I've started doing Vita/Netflix while essentially idling, which does make it more bearable. It is gonna require some "hands on" time for some of the ongoing challenges, but nothing too bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RNumbers said:

Yep, sounds right. I've started doing Vita/Netflix while essentially idling, which does make it more bearable. It is gonna require some "hands on" time for some of the ongoing challenges, but nothing too bad.

Great then. Just by curiosity, do you own 2 VRs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdinhoN said:

Great then. Just by curiosity, do you own 2 VRs?

Temporarily. Borrowing one from my brother. Wouldn't want to have to coordinate boosting this without a very dedicated partner. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did it in 8 days, got tutorial trophy a few weeks prior so my "completion time" is almost 4 weeks..

The +100 XP bonus per match really helped in the end, it's probably something the devs enabled to help out remaining players.
We did 5-minute matches, got 123 XP/8 min on average (3 min matchmaking + 5 min match).
113 XP to loser, 113+20 (winner bonus) XP to winner --> so 123 XP average.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, ryuji_sakujo said:

I did it in 8 days, got tutorial trophy a few weeks prior so my "completion time" is almost 4 weeks..

The +100 XP bonus per match really helped in the end, it's probably something the devs enabled to help out remaining players.
We did 5-minute matches, got 123 XP/8 min on average (3 min matchmaking + 5 min match).
113 XP to loser, 113+20 (winner bonus) XP to winner --> so 123 XP average.

any idea how to get that 100 XP boost? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, StuartLongstaff said:

EDIT: Sorry, replied on mobile and didn't properly follow the thread of the conversation. See posts below for more helpful info.

Edited by RNumbers

11 hours ago, StuartLongstaff said:

I've been able to replicate it, and it's quite simple:

On a brand new day where you are due for your 1st +100 XP boost (which I assume is a daily thing from the game's inception).

1. Play quick match

2. Play quick match

3. Play quick match

4. NEVER PLAY CASUAL OR RANKED

That's it. As long as you only play quick matches you'll get +100 every time.

I had +100 for 2 days, played 1 game of casual and lost it, went back to playing only quick the next day and it was back.

• Like 2

That's what I've been saying in our message group.
If the +100 XP activates, don't do as much as sneeze or fart.

Just keep playing quick matches and play until your eyes bleed or you faint, and get the game done. :lol:

Edited by ryuji_sakujo
  • Like 2