Tetris Effect Combo Van Gogh tips

Beyondthegrave07

Hey everyone!

I've been getting my Tetris on and am working through some of the more difficult trophies now, but I am having trouble getting this trophy specifically and wanted to know how others were able to achieve this. The trophy I am referring to is where you need to get a x15 combo and essentially get rid of at least 1 line 15 times in a row.

So far, I've tried doing this with a well with 3 spaces across and have wells 4 across near the top in case I get unlucky and get a bunch of lines. I've also tried having a mixture of 2 spaces wide and 3 spaces wide and the most I seem to be able to muster are 10-11x combos. I've been trying this in chill Marathon mode and I'm not sure if that's the best mode for it or if there is a more optimal mode for it (I'm sure there probably is, but what?)

Any tips from those who earned the trophy or anyone who is a Tetris pro? What's the most optimal mode to do this in?

Thanks!

4-wide is what got it for me, I was close with 3 but 4 is definitely more consistent. The main reason being is if you have a few I pieces show up, you can place them horizontally and not narrow the gap making it harder to combo when the space gets small. Build as high as you can, leave an L on the ground first as it’s easiest to start the combo when you only need to fill one space initially.

Remember you can also spin the Z and L pieces like a T-spin to fill out gaps (you’ll know what I mean if you get far in the “All Clear” mode), then just try and clear one line at a time. There’s definitely some luck as well as planning involved (make sure you have the next 4 pieces shown instead of 1). Chill Marathon is fine btw.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

4 wide is good but it should be in the middle and an I-Piece should be placed so that the bottom line only has a 1x1 gap, that gives more opportunities for different pieces to clear a line if you started the combo. As shown in the video. If the pieces dont spawn as wanted it is also easy to burn some lines. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Managed it today after quite a few failed attempts. I decided to go with a 4-wide open space with an I-piece making a 3/4th of the bottom.

Had some trouble building a decent 6-wide stack and also getting a good 1st and 2nd piece to start before running out of space at the top.
I am by no means a Tetris wizard, so as far as I'm concerned there's a degree of luck involved in getting suitable pieces for a 15-combo Van Gogh.

Must be doing something right though, because according to this site this is now my "rarest trophy".

Edited by dJordman
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 11:44 AM, lemaestre said:

4 wide is good but it should be in the middle and an I-Piece should be placed so that the bottom line only has a 1x1 gap, that gives more opportunities for different pieces to clear a line if you started the combo. As shown in the video. If the pieces dont spawn as wanted it is also easy to burn some lines. 

I actually did both of them on my first try today after watching this video! I'd been trying to use a 2 wide on the right and could get 9 combos quite often but couldn't get that last one.  Then I watched this video and got a 16 easily on my first try!  Thanks very much for linking this!