How does the difficulty compare to Nioh 1?

Quink666

Nioh was somewhat challenging while still a joy to play (Fuck the multiple boss encounters). Iv'e heard this i way harder compared to Nioh 1 and now wonder if there is any truth to it? 

Looking at other peoples gameplay it looks harder aswell, people with more "souls" experience than me struggling alot with some bosses.

Would like to know what the average gamer thinks and not the pro elites super ninja gamers that rate everything a 1/10 to convince people they are the best =D

100% way easier, there are no arguments to be that it's harder in any way, other than maybe Dark Realms. Curious to hear what you've heard.

• They're little double boss fights in Nioh 2. The few double boss fights give you plenty of room as well as the fact that the second boss shows up when you take 50% of the health away from the first boss.

• Bosses themselves are easier because the majority of them are human and can be parried. The Yokai bosses can prove a little challenging but nothing that would stop you dead in your tracks. 

• 3 player coop also makes things a breeze. It doesn't seem like Team Ninja really balanced the gameplay for 3 players since you can easily trap and defeat bosses.

• Although you can't build around living weapon spam, the new system in place that replaces it is more easily spamable. (Not Yokai shift)

• There's also less bullshit attacks this time around, and it feels like the enemies have even more telegraphed moves than before. (But this one might just be because of Nioh 1 experience)

• I've also noticed that Shrines are closer together.
Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 3

You can make Nioh 2 as hard or as easy as you want it to be. It affects how much fun you'll have with the game, though... In addition to what was written above, if you just use an Axe in high stance, heavy armor, and lightning, you make this game a joke (but you'll be bored to death). I played the entire game switching weapons whenever I reached enough proficiency to get the mystic art, and my experience was that using Odachi, Spear or Axe the game becomes quite trivial. The most fun I had with Switchglaive and Dual Swords. 

But anyways, you asked about the difficulty compared to Nioh. I played both games the same way, entirely without summoning (only for the one trophy that wants you to) and coming up with my own builds. My conclusion is that if you compare the difficulty using the same build in both games, then Nioh 2's base game is still easier. Especially the bosses are nothing compared to some of the stuff Nioh threw at you. 

I honestly can't come up with a single reason why anyone would say this one is harder than the first game... 

But, even if this game feels easier, it also improves upon the first game in every way. If you enjoyed the first game, you'll enjoy this one, no doubt about it! Looking forward to the DLC and Way of the Demon being added to the game, that's where the first game went from good to incredible ?

• Like 1

I find Nioh 2 much harder personally, like much harder.

I kinda think those that find Nioh 2 easy, actually spent time to become skilled on Nioh 1 with proper builds and not cheese builds and so are actually really good at a game.

You need to be careful with opinions on franchise difficulty because most often than not, the one players mostly find the hardest is also, usually the first one first they played, and it can throw others off.

I.....didnt get good at Nioh 1, I cheesed it with a living weapon build so it was somewhat easy for me. You cant cheese Nioh 2 and so it has really hit me, its been MUCH harder.

The overall difficulty between them is similar, but Nioh 1 has the option to cheese, Nioh 2 doesn't. So you can manage in Nioh 1 without getting good, but in Nioh 2, you MUST get good to progress.

Nioh 2 is much harder, solely because you don't have the option to cheese!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Optinooby said:

I find Nioh 2 much harder personally, like much harder.

I kinda think those that find Nioh 2 easy, actually spent time to become skilled on Nioh 1 with proper builds and not cheese builds and so are actually really good at a game.

You need to be careful with opinions on franchise difficulty because most often than not, the one players mostly find the hardest is also, usually the first one first they played, and it can throw others off.

I.....didnt get good at Nioh 1, I cheesed it with a living weapon build so it was somewhat easy for me. You cant cheese Nioh 2 and so it has really hit me, its been MUCH harder.

The overall difficulty between them is similar, but Nioh 1 has the option to cheese, Nioh 2 doesn't. So you can manage in Nioh 1 without getting good, but in Nioh 2, you MUST get good to progress.

Nioh 2 is much harder, solely because you don't have the option to cheese!

I do agree with the first part, but the argument can be made that any build that you had in Nioh 1 is obsolete in Nioh 2.

However I would have to disagree with no cheesing in Nioh 2 and that Nioh 1 is harder. In fact I would say that the amount of cheese you had in Nioh 2 is more than the amount of cheese you had in Nioh 1. Sticking with the base game and not the DLC's (Hayabusa Vietnam flashbacks)

• Nioh 1 bosses were mostly Yokai and huge, Umi-Bozo and Nine Tailed Fox for example, and on top of that usually had environmental dangers and one hit attacks that took up a huge portion of the map. Human enemies weren't easier either since they had fast and hard hitting attacks, which also usually had elemental effects on them (not guardian spirits).

• Regular enemies were also harder with faster animations and attacks than go through blocks or outright just take all your ki away (this one might be experience again).

• Double bosses are much more prevalent and usually aren't big enough to accommodate even one huge boss.

• Living weapon isn't as viable as everyone makes it out to be. It got heavily nerfed and not only that if you were going to be using this you usually had to do a sub-build anyway, mostly onmyo. Doing this meant that you couldn't really compete against regular enemies and either meant you had to "git gud" anyway or run past all enemies which meant low armor and another Ninjustsu sub-build

Now you also say that Nioh 2 doesn't have any cheese options. I also disagree with this statement since you have more cheese options.

• Yokai shift is there and can used to cheese bosses, it's not as effective I'll give you that one. But they nerfed that gameplay aspect and put in another cheese method with Soul Cores which can be replenished with fruits, and not only that the best Soul Core is given to you at around the 4th boss.

• 3 player coop also is broken as hell. Enemies don't know who to attack and usually just ends up swinging wildly. And on top of that you can have 3 complete newbies also swinging wildly trapping bosses and slowly chip away at them.

• Maps being bigger and more human enemies means you can do the "Resident Evil Trick" and run towards your opponent, wait for an attack, and then go in for your own attack.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BestUsername---- said:

I do agree with the first part, but the argument can be made that any build that you had in Nioh 1 is obsolete in Nioh 2.

However I would have to disagree with no cheesing in Nioh 2 and that Nioh 1 is harder. In fact I would say that the amount of cheese you had in Nioh 2 is more than the amount of cheese you had in Nioh 1. Sticking with the base game and not the DLC's (Hayabusa Vietnam flashbacks)

• Nioh 1 bosses were mostly Yokai and huge, Umi-Bozo and Nine Tailed Fox for example, and on top of that usually had environmental dangers and one hit attacks that took up a huge portion of the map. Human enemies weren't easier either since they had fast and hard hitting attacks, which also usually had elemental effects on them (not guardian spirits).

• Regular enemies were also harder with faster animations and attacks than go through blocks or outright just take all your ki away (this one might be experience again).

• Double bosses are much more prevalent and usually aren't big enough to accommodate even one huge boss.

• Living weapon isn't as viable as everyone makes it out to be. It got heavily nerfed and not only that if you were going to be using this you usually had to do a sub-build anyway, mostly onmyo. Doing this meant that you couldn't really compete against regular enemies and either meant you had to "git gud" anyway or run past all enemies which meant low armor and another Ninjustsu sub-build

Now you also say that Nioh 2 doesn't have any cheese options. I also disagree with this statement since you have more cheese options.

• Yokai shift is there and can used to cheese bosses, it's not as effective I'll give you that one. But they nerfed that gameplay aspect and put in another cheese method with Soul Cores which can be replenished with fruits, and not only that the best Soul Core is given to you at around the 4th boss.

• 3 player coop also is broken as hell. Enemies don't know who to attack and usually just ends up swinging wildly. And on top of that you can have 3 complete newbies also swinging wildly trapping bosses and slowly chip away at them.

• Maps being bigger and more human enemies means you can do the "Resident Evil Trick" and run towards your opponent, wait for an attack, and then go in for your own attack.

Its a matter of opinion of course, but I played Nioh 1 AFTER all the nerfs and it is still OP, just requires a bit more detail.

Im all about cheese builds, I spent almost all my time looking for them, and there is nothing as cheesy in Nioh 2.

Not saying Nioh 2 cant be cheesed later, but you can literally cheese Nioh 1 right from the very start.

The cheese in Nioh 1 makes you invincible, all those methods of cheese you mention in Nioh 2 leave you vulnerable and still require skill.

I guess players can define 'cheese' in different ways, best cheese to me means no skill neccesary, just knowledge of the setup. 

I really wish Nioh 2 was as cheesy, but its just not. Nothing compares to Nioh 1 cheese where you just run into the enemy and spam attack with no care in the world xD

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys!

Considering i got almost 200 hours into Nioh 1 and almost unlocked Way of the Nioh (got stuck on Way of the Wise), i will definitely give this a go.

If i struggle to much i'll just coop if it's avaible for that mission and if i for some reason don't enjoy it i will just beat the game and leave the plat alone.

much easier. 

I played Nioh 1 to 100% but I am still horrible at all those weapon skills and in both games, there's little point of building in NG. Just want to mention two things in game mechanism that make it way easier for me.

1. Advocate. Even though they are not super smart as human players are but this one extra body makes huge difference in many tough situations, for mere two or three cups.

2. The guardian spirit will automatically be picked up in boss fight or yokai rush fight, so that you don't need to worry about losing amritas in these tough situations.

Other than that, I didn't find the maps in Nioh 2 any trickier than the ones in Nioh 1. Utilize you range weapons and you shouldn't get much trouble. 

Edited by Maverick6146
  • Like 1

On 25.6.2020 at 10:39 AM, Optinooby said:

I played through Nioh 1 DLC prior to 2's release and while my time with Masamune was pure hell, it was mostly because my build was just so bad. Respecing stat points into more spear focused stuff made the rest of the DLCs relatively easy with some mild show stoppers.

In 2 you might not be able to "cheese cheese" but counters, magic and some soul cores make it easy enough. You can even make it easier with summoning NPC visitors. Admittedly, towards the end of the game I started using them as momentary meat shields on annoying bosses like Tokichiro fight (dude barely flinches, goddamn) and against Koji.

On that note, Koji, and any and all bosses that summon shadow clones can piss off for all I care. Always tanking the framerates while being very annoying to fight against.

• Like 1