The Price of Vengenance: My Thoughts of the Narrative of TLOU: Part II (Spoilers)

9 minutes ago, Bunkerbudy said:

This is how you write a god damn review!

I agree, this is an actually good review, nice and detailed and he understands both sides of the community, if it weren't for the spoilers i would recommend this review for people who are still on the fence with this game.

The game's story would have been perfect if...

Spoiler

the game had succeeded in making us sympathize with Abby. Instead we hate her all they way thorugh Ellie's journey, hate her even more when the game forces us to play as her and we ultimately don't care for the good deeds she does during her campaign. My guess is Druckman severly underestimated our love for Joel, flaws and all.

On a side-note, Ellie sparing Abby's life in the end because of a flashback is Batman v Superman's "Save Martha" all over again.

I can see how someone who's never played the original game, or wasn't a fan might see Part II as a masterpiece, but I think long-time fans have every right to feel mad at the game.

41 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

But if you think about it for a while...

That's the point. It's hard to think when you are so emotinally invested in something. You need to think and rationalize both characters' actions and consequences to make sense of it all, but even if you do (and I did) it will never wash away the bad taste it left in your mouth.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LupusLance34 said:

The game's story would have been perfect if...

Reveal hidden contents

the game had succeeded in making us sympathize with Abby. Instead we hate her all they way thorugh Ellie's journey, hate her even more when the game forces us to play as her and we ultimately don't care for the good deeds she does during her campaign. My guess is Druckman severly underestimated our love for Joel, flaws and all.

On a side-note, Ellie sparing Abby's life in the end because of a flashback is Batman v Superman's "Save Martha" all over again.

That is again just an opinion. Because it would make no difference to the story for me. Maybe it does for you, but that does not mean its better for everybody.

To be fair, I have heard al the things you said a lot by now. But here are my toughs about it.

Spoiler

"the game had succeeded in making us sympathize with Abby. Instead we hate her all they way thorugh Ellie's journey, hate her even more when the game forces us to play as her and we ultimately don't care for the good deeds she does during her campaign."

I don't think this is true at all. Do we really have to care for Abby to understand and grasp the story? I don't think so, I feel some hate towards her because of killing Joel.

But I also enjoy learning her part in all of this, I understand where she is comming from and her reasons are not in doubt. But still "yeah.." she killed Joel, so I will never fully like her.

"My guess is Druckman severly underestimated our love for Joel, flaws and all."

This I like because for me, the complete oposite is true.

Druckman knew exactly how much we loved Joel, that is why letting him get killed by a random stranger before Ellies eyes is such a strong emotional message.

Fans expect a strong emotional story from TLOU2, on the other hand the fans wanted more Joel and Ellie. My big question her is "How do you do that?"

How are you going to make a second story about Joel and Ellie that has the same emotions as the first game. IMO its not possible...

TLOU1 covered basicly everything there is to tell us. We know how they met, how they did not like each other at first, how they argueded, how they grew to each other, how they bonded and how they almost lost each other twice and how they saved each other, with the climax Joel Saving Ellie at all cost becaus of his emotions for her. How are you going to top this?

Letting Joel get killed this way creates soooo much emotions for Ellie and for the fans as well, cuz it looks like 50% of them are pissed as hell at Abby.

This only proves that this event/scene was so strong and that it worked like intended. Druckman made us care and he pulled the right string to get us all angry and emotional.

For example: What if they decided to let Tommy and Maria get killed. In response Joel and Ellie are going to get revenge. That would be so boring and not realy emotional.

"I can see how someone who's never played the original game, or wasn't a fan might see Part II as a masterpiece"

Playing this without TLOU1 would make TLOU2 really bad imo, it would just be realy random and generic.

"but I think long-time fans have every right to feel mad at the game."

Sure they have all the rights to not like the way the story went. But hating a game becaus it's not going als they wanted it to go is kinda weird IMO.

If I dont like a game and its from a franchise I love, I would just be dissapointed and move along ignoring the game. I would not go as far as to butcher it into the ground.

29 minutes ago, Bunkerbudy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"the game had succeeded in making us sympathize with Abby. Instead we hate her all they way thorugh Ellie's journey, hate her even more when the game forces us to play as her and we ultimately don't care for the good deeds she does during her campaign."

I don't think this is true at all. Do we really have to care for Abby to understand and grasp the story? I don't think so, I feel some hate towards her because of killing Joel.

But I also enjoy learning her part in all of this, I understand where she is comming from and her reasons are not in doubt. But still "yeah.." she killed Joel, so I will never fully like her.

"My guess is Druckman severly underestimated our love for Joel, flaws and all."

This I like because for me, the complete oposite is true.

Druckman knew exactly how much we loved Joel, that is why letting him get killed by a random stranger before Ellies eyes is such a strong emotional message.

Fans expect a strong emotional story from TLOU2, on the other hand the fans wanted more Joel and Ellie. My big question her is "How do you do that?"

How are you going to make a second story about Joel and Ellie that has the same emotions as the first game. IMO its not possible...

TLOU1 covered basicly everything there is to tell us. We know how they met, how they did not like each other at first, how they argueded, how they grew to each other, how they bonded and how they almost lost each other twice and how they saved each other, with the climax Joel Saving Ellie at all cost becaus of his emotions for her. How are you going to top this?

Letting Joel get killed this way creates soooo much emotions for Ellie and for the fans as well, cuz it looks like 50% of them are pissed as hell at Abby.

This only proves that this event/scene was so strong and that it worked like intended. Druckman made us care and he pulled the right string to get us all angry and emotional.

For example: What if they decided to let Tommy and Maria get killed. In response Joel and Ellie are going to get revenge. That would be so boring and not realy emotional.

"I can see how someone who's never played the original game, or wasn't a fan might see Part II as a masterpiece"

Playing this without TLOU1 would make TLOU2 really bad imo, it would just be realy random and generic.

"but I think long-time fans have every right to feel mad at the game."

Sure they have all the rights to not like the way the story went. But hating a game becaus it's not going als they wanted it to go is kinda weird IMO.

If I dont like a game and its from a franchise I love, I would just be dissapointed and move along ignoring the game. I would not go as far as to butcher it into the ground.

This sums up my views really nicely, too. No hate, it's a respectable opinion you presented in your OP. I just think that you really should play 1 before 2, it's almost essential. My point was also that...

Spoiler

Without playing 1 it you have little content of the poignancy of Joel & Ellie's relationship, so you're likely not to hate Abby very much. On that basis I would find it interesting speaking to someone who hadn't played 1 but played 2 because Abby and Ellie would likely have equal support and hate, whereas you and I prefer Ellie, however irrational that is, because of 1.

I also think you can find plot points uncomfortable or against what your heart wants but still be an amazing story. I WANTED it to be more happy for all the characters because I love them, but the fact it didn't, it's still a great story.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I also think you can find plot points uncomfortable or against what your heart wants but still be an amazing story.

Jup, the story isn't perfect. I think it has room for improvements one of wich u mentioned already, make part 2 shorter. It overstayed its welcome witouth adding much needed information.

Spoiler

I would also have liked that actions Abby did where more connected to the current day story if that makes sense.

Not just some scénes and events that are only focused on showing that she is a good person. But events that also have more impact on what Ellie is doing.

End at last, they could have spend a bit more time on the start of the game, I understand it, but it lacked some details that would make it 110% believable.

All things togherther, the story lacked some pollish here and there, but overal its a realy good story IMO.

I’ve been mulling this over reading and watching both pro and con opinions and I think I have been wrong from the start.  I think I got swept up in the tsunami of rage at launch and didn’t allow myself to see the other side in an honest way.  I was definately on the never buy never support side but I’ve come to realize I’m mad I didn’t get my storybook ending in a world setting where that would be a total contrivance.  So yeah probably going to pick it up and hope that a TLoU3 happens so I can see how it all ends or are we going to 6 sequels.  So yeah I was wrong and now it’s time to give the sequel a chance.

• Like 1