Sony: 93,000 accounts compromised from 'other' sources

Wade_VC

Sony has confirmed that it has detected attempts to “test a massive set of sign-in IDs and passwords against our network database.” Sony is quick to point out that no credit card information is at risk, but 93,000 accounts may have been affected.

According to an announcement on the PlayStation Blog, less than 0.1 percent of the PlayStation Network, Sony Online Entertainment, and Sony Entertainment America accounts were affected (translating to some 93,000 accounts globally—60,000 from PSN/SEN, 33,000 from SOE).

The announcement states that the attempts included a large amount of data obtained from “one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites, or other sources.” Philip Reitinger, VP & chief information security officer, Sony Group, explained that based on this information, it appears the data came from a source outside of Sony’s three networks.

“We will work with any users whom we confirm have had unauthorized purchases made to restore amounts in the PSN/SEN or SOE wallet,” Reitinger wrote.

It should be noted that there is no mention of PSN downtime associated with this apparent issue, and the actual timeline is a bit unclear.

Sony is requiring secure password resets for those PSN/SEN accounts that had both a sign-in ID and password match through this attempt. Look for an email from Sony if your account was compromised for further directions. The SOE accounts that were compromised have been temporarily turned off. These users will also receive an email with information on how to proceed.

“We want to take this opportunity to remind our consumers about the increasingly common threat of fraudulent activity online, as well as the importance of having a strong password and having a username/password combination that is not associated with other online services or sites,” Reitinger wrote.

Source: PSU

Thank goodness I learned from last time. I don't have a credit card attached to my PSN anymore but this is still alarming. I'll check my PS3 later. Hopefully I'm not part of that 0.1%

Same here... no credit card info for me... and i leave a minimal amount of cash in my PSN wallet... usually i get a PSN card for something i want to buy and spend it relatively fast.

but still... i hate hearing this kind of news!

Thank goodness I learned from last time. I don't have a credit card attached to my PSN anymore but this is still alarming. I'll check my PS3 later. Hopefully I'm not part of that 0.1%

I've had my debit card details connected to my PSN account since well before the PSN hack. My information is just as likely to get stolen on the PSN as Amazon or anywhere else so I don't worry much. If I start seeing charges from different states I'll take care of it then.

Parker

• Like 1

I've had my debit card details connected to my PSN account since well before the PSN hack. My information is just as likely to get stolen on the PSN as Amazon or anywhere else so I don't worry much. If I start seeing charges from different states I'll take care of it then.

Parker

I agree with this, and it is something far too many fail to realize. Yes, the whole PSN hack thing sucked; but people fail to realize that any time, any where they use a CC on the net, there is a chance that information can be compromised.

As a matter of fact, there have been some big business who have had similar instances...buy unlike SONY, they never informed their customers of the potential loss of information. Some deemed the lawsuits filed by those so affected to be less of a loss than the potential PR nightmare.

• Like 1

I agree with this, and it is something far too many fail to realize. Yes, the whole PSN hack thing sucked; but people fail to realize that any time, any where they use a CC on the net, there is a chance that information can be compromised.

As a matter of fact, there have been some big business who have had similar instances...buy unlike SONY, they never informed their customers of the potential loss of information. Some deemed the lawsuits filed by those so affected to be less of a loss than the potential PR nightmare.

Exactly why I didn't make such a big deal. Browsing and purchasing on the internet comes with big risks in today's world unfortunately.