Good & affordable 3rd party controllers?

Sneezin--

My second controller is now starting to drift after about 8 months of (careful) use. It's still very much usable (for now), and the drifting only happens occasionally or when trying to force it.

Still though, just being aware of it has me constantly anxious, because it's just a matter of time before it becomes unusable. The first one at least lasted for about 1 year and 9 months before it started drifting, wich still isn't anything praiseworthy imo.

I can't afford dropping another 60 bucks on a damn controller, just for it to break again after a few months. I'll have to look into getting a replacement, I'm not sure wether I have warranty for it. But even then, I probably won't use it if there are good alternatives. Are there any cheap ones you could recommend?

Edited by Sneezin--

Tell me about. I consider I treat my controllers pretty well but they just break here and there so easily. I miss when controllers were built to last. I think at this point buying anything at half the cost of legit controllers would last a year. xD

6 minutes ago, Sneezin-- said:

What was wrong with them?

One started to drift after a week.

One had like 10% sensitivity in the right stick for some reason. Made shooters almost impossible. Even after cranking the in game sensitivities it was still crap.

After that I went back to Sony lol.

If by chance you find a good brand let me know though.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

If by chance you find a good brand let me know though.

Well, after looking around for the last few hours, I seem to have found a decent one. It goes by the name "PICTEK PS4 Controller" or something along those lines, and goes for about 30€ on amazon. There's a wired and wireless version. Reviews on amazon and youtube seem to be mostly positive.

Pictek PS4 Controller Review

PS4 Pictek Controller review. Is it worth your money???

Gaming Tech Review: PICTEK Gaming Controller/Gamepad

I'm going to hold off until my controller becomes unusable, but I'm definitely going to grab this one once that time comes.

I don't know much about that PICTEK controller but I do know that the company customer service is great. I purchased a few items from VictSing who is technically PICTEK but PICTEK does the gaming stuffs while VictSing does the more office stuffs. Now the last few items I bought all had some issues, little things that honestly is just me being picky. But Customer service without hassle simply sent me everything again. Free of charge. Now I almost feel bad for them, but can't refuse free....

Now that controller looks pretty neat, I like the color buttons. But it's definitely not the typical DS3/DS4 design. But I think I still dig it. It's definitely one to look into and Amzaon does have decent reviews for it. Though 40$ USD, idk is that worth it over an official one?

I also thought it was funny they used this image cause that dude sure doesn't look excited using it...

Spoiler

719w2mG7ZWL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Edited by NERVergoproxy

52 minutes ago, NERVergoproxy said:

Though 40$ USD, idk is that worth it over an official one?

It's a shame it's more expensive is the US, it's only 30€ in the EU. Still though, I would be really hard pressed buying a new PS4 controller for full price, especially with next gen right around the corner. I assume the PS5 controller will be compatible with the PS4 (I hope), so getting a cheap one just for bridging the gap would probably suffice. I just hope they put more effort in the PS5 controller, the PS4 one is pretty shit.

1 minute ago, Lady_Galleth said:

I might be able to help with your stick drift issue. But to clarify, are you referring to when you're not touching the stick, but the input still goes anyway, like a "ghost"?

Yea, the camera just goes up and to the left when not touching the stick. But like I said, currently it only happens very rarely or when actively trying to make it happen, so it's not a big deal (yet). I've resetted the controller via the button on the back, and followed the Scuf recommendation for drifting issues (pressing & holding the sticks for 30 seconds, rotating 5 times clock & counterclockwise each, pressing & holding 30s again). Honestly not sure if it did anything.

Have you tried taking the controller apart and putting it back together? Drifting is pretty easily fixed you just need a special screwdriver that costs under $1 on AliExpress. Follow the guide on YouTube. I'm not a very handy girl, but even I found it rather easy. Just be weary of those spring things on r2 and l2 buttons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herbset said:

Have you tried taking the controller apart and putting it back together? Drifting is pretty easily fixed you just need a special screwdriver that costs under $1 on AliExpress. Follow the guide on YouTube. I'm not a very handy girl, but even I found it rather easy. Just be weary of those spring things on r2 and l2 buttons

Yea, I've seen some videos, but I don't really trust myself with that. I'll give it a shot once the controller becomes unusable, nothing to lose at that point anyway.

15 minutes ago, Sneezin-- said:

Yea, the camera just goes up and to the left when not touching the stick. But like I said, currently it only happens very rarely or when actively trying to make it happen, so it's not a big deal (yet). I've resetted the controller via the button on the back, and followed the Scuf recommendation for drifting issues (pressing & holding the sticks for 30 seconds, rotating 5 times clock & counterclockwise each, pressing & holding 30s again). Honestly not sure if it did anything.

I may have followed that video or something similar, and that fixed my issue. This might sound silly and simple, but try holding the stick in a direction and then blowing all around the stick. Then click down the button 4 or 5 times. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 0:14 AM, KingGuy420 said:

I've tried a few 3rd party controllers trying to find a cheaper alternative. I gave up and went back to 1st party.

Yeah. Not had a decent 3rd party pad since the 360 era. SONY put so much shit on the pads that I suppose its to stop the sale of third party pads. But for the amount of devs that use the joypads shit features a year after release, I suppose thats when the third party guys can get cracking. 

Xbox used to be a dick when it came to third party stuff, but in the last years of the 360 they chilled out and thats when some awesome pads and wheels from other companies arrived.