Real talk, this is one of the best games I've ever played.

griffin123456789

@jonesey46

its just my humble opinion. I loved many different games. But unfortunately this one isn’t clicking with me yet. When I play this game it feels claustrophobic with no direction where to start (to get you familiar with the game and how to progress).

@DrBloodmoney

i only play those easy platinum games during my morning spinning bike exercise.

I’m giving it an other try. Restarted the game completely. I did buy the dlc without playing the game. So when this games leaves psn plus extra my dlc is unplayable.

The game was recommended by many podcast I listen to. And usually they aline with my taste.

Edited by BeWanno

You don't really need too much direction for this game to get things started, you probably will at the clean-up stage though as a few of the "Archaeologist" ship log entries are kind of "point and click adventure" obtuseness level hard to find. If you talk to everyone in the village they will introduce you to a lot of the game mechanics as well as give you tips on how to start your journey. For example, the head of the space program mentions the locations of the previous astronauts who have left the planet and recommends finding them to see what they have learned. I believe he also tells you a method to aid in locating them on each planet, but that may have been another villager.

Pick a planetoid and search out for areas with squiggly lines on white boards which your device will translate with :r1: and log into your ship log which is at the back of your ship. Often this information will direct you to other points of interest on the planetoid you are on, or to other planets. You'll likely have an extensive web of ship logs between systematic exploration of each planet and chasing leads from logs on other planets. Once you've visited a location you can add it to your HUD from the map in the back of your ship to more easily help you find your way back.

Edited by Guardian_owl

• 3 weeks later...

Since this was leaving PS Plus this month, I decided to jump in and give it a try. Skill Up praised Outer Wilds from the heavens (Game of the Year for him), and many other podcasts and content creators I follow also praised the game, so I was really excited to get into the game.

Unfortunately, it hasn't click for me yet. I played for about 8 hours in total, and I've explored most of the planets, and it just not clicking like I thought it would. I just have no sense of direction of what exactly I am supposed to do in the game, like a end game objective. At the moment, I am just going from planet to planet and exploring, then restarting and checking the ship log for question marks and going there to explore, rinse and repeat. Maybe I haven't given the game enough time or stumbled upon that big "AH HA" moment yet?

I totally get the appeal though, which is exploring and figuring out things for yourself. I used to play games like Myst, Riven, and those types of old school adventure games when I was a teenager, and I loved them, so I thought I would love Outer Wilds as well. I think a few of us have been spoiled over the years with objectives in game, map markers, big action set pieces, etc. that something like Outer Wilds is lost on a few of us. I was hoping that after a few hours it would just click.

I'll continue playing it until it leaves this week, but I don't think I'll be getting the Plat for it. I should have started it sooner though, now I'm kinda on a time crunch. If it comes to Essential down the line (or if it's on a deep deep sale), I might consider jumping back in again.

Edited by DysectorZA