Sega: Sonic fanbase mostly on Nintendo platforms

Lady Lilith

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/09/sonic-audience-on-nintendo/

sonic_rivals_wallpaper_by_sonicthehedgeh

According to Sonic brand manager Aaron Webber, Sega believes that the audience for Sonic titles are on Nintendo platforms, not Xbox or PlayStation. Webber has stated that Nintendo exclusive titles such as Sonic Colors and Sonic and the Secret Rings have performed better than multi-platform release titles. When looking at sales figures across all consoles, it became apparent to the team that Nintendo consoles are where Sonic fans are.

“We just found historically that Sonic performs really, really well on Nintendo platforms. Sonic Colors did great, Sonic and the Black Knight did well and Sonic and Secret Rings did well — all Nintendo. When we look at the numbers, we thought — this is clearly where our audience is.”

It’s good to know that Sega is looking at platform-specific numbers and going where the fans will appreciate the game the most. Sonic Colors is one of the best DS games I’ve played and I’m looking forward to Sonic Lost World when it is released later this year. How do you feel about previous Sonic titles? Will you be picking up Sonic Lost World to support Sega’s support of Nintendo

As much as I love Sonic on my PS#, I have to admit that I think focusing on one platform, especially the one with the biggest fanbase, is a good thing for Sega.  Plus at least this means I'll have something to play on Wii U/whatever they call the next system.  You know, besides VC games and enhanced ports.  Though I am really enjoying the gamepad...

Not really surprised by this, since most of the ps3/xbox owners seam to be more into Action adventure sandbox (GTA style open world stuff, and to some extent less open world, but still not so close, like Darksiders), RPGs (mainly on PS3 I believe) and Shooters. At least I believe those are the 3 biggest selling game styles on those systems.

Now I just hope Sega doesn't stop bringing quality games to the other systems (still not happy about them not adding trophies to Valkyria Chronicles, nor the fact they changed the series to the PSP without giving us ports for ps3 later... but then I still need to get VC3..).. Now that I think about it, it's been a while since I played a Sega game (probably the last thing I played was Streets of Rage 2..)

Black Knight and Secret Rings sold better than Generations? better than Unleashed? that's hard to believe

Colors i can understand because that was actually a pretty good Sonic game

Secret Rings was absolute crap from what I played of it.  I didn't even bother with Black Knight, but the idea of it seems pretty stupid.  I find that hard to believe too.  That's not saying the article doesn't bring up some good points and I generally agree with it.  

I thought Colors and Generations were the best recent Sonic games, as well.  I've heard Generations get all sorts of praise and find lots of people playing it.  Can't same the same about Colors (the people playing it part I mean).  Then again, maybe it's just where I hang out online and offline...

Edited by Sonic

Prediction Nintendo was the only one of the three companies to pay for exclusive rights to Sega so instantly they had the best fanbase.

I know the olympic games did all right but that is mainly because the Wii is so desperate for any good 3rd party games they will buy anything that comes out that isn't Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer or Deer Hunter 295

650008500820F.JPG

Edited by Dr_Mayus

This doesn't surprise me at all. To be fair, I really haven't enjoyed Sonic since playing it on my previous Sega systems, even the same game on ps3 just didn't seem right.The newer games were even worse, in my opinion (which I'll admit is most probably nostalgia).

So for me in any case, Sonic remains my favorite platform game when I was a kid, I'm going to do my best to not ruin that by playing it too much on systems these days (well that and my reflexes are nowhere near what they were before)

PlayStation 3 and Xbox owners have a multitude of fantastic games to play while owners of Nintendo systems have either first party Nintendo titles or shovelware so of course a decent Sonic game will sell good on their consoles, the gamers have nothing else. 

Parker

• Like 2