Hardest get there gap

8 hours ago, barra333 said:

There you go. Unless your meter gets really wonky short taps of up/down to center the meter are the way to go. Holding the button too long will overcorrect the balance and you will bail.

I meant in steering not balancing my balance meter. I just don’t know why my manual meter was cooked after maybe being on it for 1 second.

8 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I meant in steering not balancing my balance meter. I just don’t know why my manual meter was cooked after maybe being on it for 1 second.

The manual meter should work exactly the same as the grind one for stability (assuming similar stats). Steering much more than quick taps will fuck it up pretty quickly though, which is the hard part of a couple of get theres. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Now I’m on Skate Park and I turn right via press/hold the right dpad button to try to get to another gap area and my manual gets completely ruined and I wipe out.

Ahh I see what you’re saying. Unfortunately this really comes down to skill and practice rather and any kind of secret “trick” that might help you. ? Most YouTubers make it look so easy but what you’re either seeing is someone very experienced at the game with a lot of hours of practice, or you’re seeing their one successful run after dozens or hundreds of failures.

Maintaining your balance while doing a sharp turn or complete U-turn is one of the most challenging things you will have to master in these Get There’s. I believe Skate Park is the first one that really throws this at you with that sharp right turn after jumping the box and heading towards the railing. Believe me, it was a pain in the ass and took me many attempts too. Like @barra333 said, it’s best to tap the d-pad keys with a light touch and train your muscle memory to do that, or you will end up putting too much pressure and over-correcting a lot.

Be very careful that when turning you’re not accidentally putting pressure on the up/down buttons as well, it’s easy to do that by accident when you’re focused on doing a very sharp, sudden turn and not even realize it until you’re eating concrete.

14 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I’m trying to get gud but I’m already frustrated and I’ve only done 3 of the hard get theres.

Don’t give up man! You can do it. Believe me, I have no experience or skill with these kinds of games and after doing my first few Get There’s I was feeling a little hopeless myself. And I hadn’t even got to the real tough ones yet…

My best advice is to just go into it expecting failures and with the understanding that it will probably take you hours of practicing to pull the toughest ones off. This will help alleviate some of the frustration if you’re mentally prepared for the long haul rather than expecting to pull them off in 10 mins each.

The ‘Got There’ trophy alone probably took me around 25 hours or so, and literally half of that time was spent on just 2 maps! I’m someone who gets frustrated easily in games too, but I just put on some music and forced myself into a zen-like mode where I kept trying over and over until I did it.

Remember - you only need ONE good run! Doesn’t matter how sketchy or sloppy it is. You just need one lucky run! And eventually, with practice, your muscle memory will provide one for you.

On 2022-11-08 at 5:27 AM, barra333 said:

Got Skate Heaven last night. Not too bad except for having to do a U-turn in a manual. Though if you come off the rail before the manual with a ton of speed you can go straight and wallplant off the sign in front of you. 

Also didn't realise until yesterday how many freaking gaps Skate Heaven has. 

In order to save you some hell with Skate Heaven down the road, I went ahead and uploaded my run on YouTube. A lot of people copy PowerPyx’s method which has him doing this crazy long line with a very long manual and sharp U-turn to get back on the ramps, and aren’t aware there is a super easy method to get this one done without the manual.

Unfortunately I don’t have any other sly tricks for maps with sharp turns like Skate Park, Downhill Jam, Venice Beach etc. You just have to practice. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Thanks guys, I’ll keep trying and keep in mind the taps to turn. I finished Skate Park and Chopper and am now working on Downtown. Got to the final ramp a couple times and my manual died before I could jump but I’ll stick with it.

I was reading through your replies. Just a couple things I didn't see mentioned.

1) You know there's penalties to the meters. If you perform multiple manuals without a grind or revert in between your bar will get sensitive, doing kickflips don't count

2) If you just hold the left or right on the Dpad while in manual it really doesn't effect your meter much. Practice this and make sure no parts of your thumb are on the up and down arrows. This is how you can make nice turns while in manual

3) The skateheaven get there that @dieselmanchild posted above is a good one. Lower your Ollie stats to 4 or 5 if you're having a hard time

Oh and if you need other tips on Get There's I posted some on the other thread "Anyone else wanna give up on Got There"

Edited by TheGreatOneKobe
  • Like 1

I cleared all the hard get there’s in THPS1. Progress.

That said, I still don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I’ve been stuck in School 2 for like 4 hours. When I try to turn to line up with the little kicker to the 2nd School Grind, my manual meter always goes wonky. If I’m lucky I’ll make it around the bend to head towards the last Grind and my manual fluctuates like crazy even though I haven’t manualed lately since it’s 3 unique consecutive grinds (ledge, bball hoop, concrete lip) before that.

I swear something is off with my dpad because I make a point to reposition my fingers so I only hit left/right. Sometimes it won’t respond either. I’ll see if my other controller is any more precise tomorrow.

Thanks again for the tips everyone.

Finished Bullring and got the trophy yesterday. I found that using the quarterpipe before going up for the Rail Plat Gap (as done in the guide) was too hit and miss for direction, so I skipped that bit and just did a wide manual from the banana to the uphill rail. If you hit it right, you only have to jump on it once to make it up. Got the idea from Powerpyx's guide video.

The hardest for me were:

1. School II
  2. Venice
  3. Mall
  4. Bullring
  5. Downhill Jam
  6. Skatestreet

I think Mall would be easier if I tried to do it again since I know more about the manual system now and figured out that the Dualsense will register an up/down input on the d-pad if you press anything other than the outside of the left/right button, ie, even pressing the lower part of the left button will register "left and down". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished school 2 myself.

I experimented with a similar line going for that rail second. In the end it didn't seem viable but I guess you made it work lol nice job. 

I used the one that starts with the open sesame rail. I feel like it's the easiest route through the level personally, as long as you can keep your manual meter stable early. 

Also lots of trial an error made me see how important controlling your speed is on school 2. It's a lot better to keep a steady pace than go too fast. 

Edited by GodKaio-Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Only Bullring Get There & the grind to Lvl 100 left for platinum.

Already starting to see why people get frustrated with the Bullring Get There.

Thankfully Im playing the PS4 version so once I get the platinum, I'll just autopop the trophies for the PS5 version because there's no way I'm going through this again

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SAMCROVP2013 said:

Only Bullring Get There & the grind to Lvl 100 left for platinum.

Already starting to see why people get frustrated with the Bullring Get There.

Thankfully Im playing the PS4 version so once I get the platinum, I'll just autopop the trophies for the PS5 version because there's no way I'm going through this again

I had some issue with Bullring. In the end I went the route that goes up the wires for the first one, into the stands, then banana launch thing. 

The best tip I have if you go that route is to try and land directly on the flat portion when you go for the stands with as much speed as you can get. My approach was:

First wire, jump onto the second horizontal wire, jump + triangle grind twice, then one last jump and do a special grind, then jump to the stands area. It gave me the speed I needed. 

Once I figured out I didn't need to boneless or do anything crazy it got way way easier. Literally the most important part is landing in the stands with speed up the ramp so when you come back down you can revent/manual and get enough distance for the launch. 

Edited by GodKaio-Ken

27 minutes ago, GodKaio-Ken said:

Literally the most important part is landing in the stands with speed up the ramp so when you come back down you can revent/manual and get enough distance for the launch. 

Yeah this is the hardest part of that line by far. I loved that route you described and how much shorter and simpler it is, but I wasn’t able to pull it off as I had major problems maintaining enough speed to hit the banana. That part will take some practice, but if you can pull it off it’s an amazing route!

17 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Yeah this is the hardest part of that line by far. I loved that route you described and how much shorter and simpler it is, but I wasn’t able to pull it off as I had major problems maintaining enough speed to hit the banana. That part will take some practice, but if you can pull it off it’s an amazing route!

It took me a while too. It's actually how I came up with two normal grinds and a special grind, because by my timing on it I started to be able to more consistently have the speed by just jumping as soon as the special started. 

It was horribly frustrating until I had a way to time the jump non-visually. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

School II took me the longest, probably an hour or so, and then Mall. All the videos for Mall show way more manual sections than are necessary. There are long grinds towards the end that get you to the final gap much safer.

Bullring was totally fine for me, got it within half an hour. Hardest part was figuring out the first gap to the banana ledge. 

Shout out the everyone who did original Roswell hard Get There, that might have broken me if I had to worry about getting that one pre-patch.

• 3 months later...