Do items purchased on 1st run count in NG+?

I just finished this magnificent game last night, my initial run at least! I managed to get all of the missable trophies except Shop-a-holic. I'm curious if anyone can say that the items purchased on the first run still count when you start your NG+ run? It would certainly make my life easier if so!

Edit: After EXTENSIVE testing (we are talking 5 playthroughs' worth ?), the only way I was able to get this trophy to pop was by deleting all of my prior save files from the system and starting fresh. It will not work in NG+. You will either need to make sure you are careful and acquire this trophy on your initial playthrough, otherwise you will need to do like me and erase everything to start fresh. Either the trophy requirements aren't 100% clear, or the trophy itself is buggy! Good luck to anyone else attempting this!

Edited by Joe Dubz
updated after more testing

Just now, integra_93GS-R said:

I suspected this much unfortunately! Looks like I'll have to do a 3rd run, as this doesn't seem feasible on the Tim's Way run. Thank you anyway 1f601.png

Yeah I did three runs too for the same reason. I missed a lot on my first blind run.

But I can’t remember if I did this on NG+. I think I just started a New Game. 

You just need to buy all items in a single playthrough. You can’t buy the few items you were missing in NG+.

Maybe @Arcesius can tell if you can get it on NG+ to make it faster and easier. He loves this game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Yeah I did three runs too for the same reason. I missed a lot on my first blind run.

But I can’t remember if I did this on NG+. I think I just started a New Game. 

You just need to buy all items in a single playthrough. You can’t buy the few items you were missing in NG+.

Maybe @Arcesius can tell if you can get it on NG+ to make it faster and easier. He loves this game.

I was just going to ask you if it is still feasible to buy them all again on NG+, since it would be so much easier to power through everything with the leveled up characters! If @Arcesius or anyone else can say if it's still doable as a fresh start on NG+, I would love to know! I have to agree tho, this game is phenomenal and reminds me quite a bit of FFVI (FF3 if you are from the states like me ?).

16 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

You big troll, you... ?

15 hours ago, integra_93GS-R said:

I was just going to ask you if it is still feasible to buy them all again on NG+, since it would be so much easier to power through everything with the leveled up characters! If @Arcesius or anyone else can say if it's still doable as a fresh start on NG+, I would love to know! I have to agree tho, this game is phenomenal and reminds me quite a bit of FFVI (FF3 if you are from the states like me 1f609.png).

I actually got the trophy on my first playthrough, while remaining spoiler-free... I just made sure to purchase everything listed here before moving on... So unfortunately I cannot really tell you how you should go about this... However, you should have plenty of money right now anyways, and selling items doesn't void the trophy. So if I were you I would do Tim's Way on NG+ (which is what I did) and see if you can also access all shops. You mentioned above that it doesn't seem possible to combine both trophies... why not, I wonder? It has been a while, so I don't immediately see a reason why it shouldn't be possible... If needed, grind out some money at the end of NG before moving on to NG+... 

And to be perfectly clear here.. I actually did like the game quite a bit. But I despise it now because the piece of shit slip minigame burned me out big-time and the game is now laughing at me, mocking me, incomplete on my list... ?

(I'm secretly hoping the PS5 controller will make the minigame a bit easier ?)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

And to be perfectly clear here.. I actually did like the game quite a bit. But I despise it now because the piece of shit slip minigame burned me out big-time and the game is now laughing at me, mocking me, incomplete on my list... 1f610.png

I have to admit, when I looked at your trophy list and saw that missing, I was wondering if it had been a thorn in your side! If anything, that will be the one thing keeping me from this plat too. I'm all for a challenge and everything, but Eternal Slip is just brutal ?

6 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I actually got the trophy on my first playthrough, while remaining spoiler-free... I just made sure to purchase everything listed here before moving on... So unfortunately I cannot really tell you how you should go about this... However, you should have plenty of money right now anyways, and selling items doesn't void the trophy. So if I were you I would do Tim's Way on NG+ (which is what I did) and see if you can also access all shops. You mentioned above that it doesn't seem possible to combine both trophies... why not, I wonder? It has been a while, so I don't immediately see a reason why it shouldn't be possible... If needed, grind out some money at the end of NG before moving on to NG+... 

Unfortunately enough, this same thought crossed my mind too! The only problem with this method is that you lose all your money starting NG+. You keep all the items you had, but not the moolah unfortunately! Without having a way to grind money from the weaker enemies doing Tim's Way, especially for some of the bigger cities it would seem impossible to be able to afford everything with just the money from killing bosses and selling the few items you find in the chests.

Oh well, I appreciate the input nonetheless! Looks like a 3rd playthrough it is. At least the game is enjoyable enough that I don't mind so much!

Edited by integra_93GS-R
  • Like 1

On 23.9.2020 at 3:43 PM, integra_93GS-R said:

I have to admit, when I looked at your trophy list and saw that missing, I was wondering if it had been a thorn in your side! If anything, that will be the one thing keeping me from this plat too. I'm all for a challenge and everything, but Eternal Slip is just brutal 1f61c.png

Well, you seem to have made the first trip! I hope you put your console on rest-mode and didn't close the game... ? Anything in particular that you could share that would make this minigame manageable? I know for some people this is not really too difficult, but it seems to be for me.. ?

10 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Well, you seem to have made the first trip! I hope you put your console on rest-mode and didn't close the game... 1f605.png Anything in particular that you could share that would make this minigame manageable? I know for some people this is not really too difficult, but it seems to be for me.. 1f636.png

I am happy to say the return was a success too ? I had the most success with rolling my fingers on the dpad. You have to keep a tempo or timing so to speak, therefore no sounds or other distractions are a must... my wife and cat ruined great runs on more than 1 occasion ??

Other than that, practice and just try to get a little bit farther each time. And breaks, especially if you start getting frustrated! Once you are on a roll and get the timing down, even the "stairs" aren't so bad! If I had to guess, it took me 40 tries on the way there, then 30 more for the way back. 

• Like 2

Ugh, very unhappy to report this dumbass trophy does not unlock in NG+... I very meticulously followed the list that was shared above and no luck. So much for making things quicker and easier!! Oh well, the game is extremely enjoyable and I should be able to blast through it quickly, seeing as this is my 4th run at this point ??

Seriously at my wits end with this one. I played another FULL PLAYTHROUGH, from the very beginning. Had to level everybody up all over again, grind a ridiculous amount just to be able to afford everything, followed the list from PST.org crossing out every single item as I bought them, but still no trophy. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but it's extremely frustrating that I've done 2 more playthroughs for this effing trophy all for nothing. Silly me for thinking Eternal Slip was going to be the plat blocker for me ?

Oh well, I guess the only thing left to try is deleting the system save files and starting fresh. If that doesn't work then I give up at that point!!

Edited by Joe Dubz

12 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Seriously at my wits end with this one. I played another FULL PLAYTHROUGH, from the very beginning. Had to level everybody up all over again, grind a ridiculous amount just to be able to afford everything, followed the list from PST.org crossing out every single item as I bought them, but still no trophy. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but it's extremely frustrating that I've done 2 more playthroughs for this effing trophy all for nothing. Silly me for thinking Eternal Slip was going to be the plat blocker for me 1f621.png

Oh well, I guess the only thing left to try is deleting the system save files and starting fresh. If that doesn't work then I give up at that point!!

Damn, that's really unfortunate ? I remember just copying the list I shared to an excel spreadsheet and mark items I purchased green. The list even includes the three new shops in Verahansha, so it should really be exhaustive. 

I hope deleting the save files will help you... this must be really frustrating... 

• Like 1

The trophy was glitched for a long time. Are you playing on the latest patch? You probably are but it’s all I can think off. I would delete all save data, delete and reinstall the game and retry. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 4:14 AM, Arcesius said:

Damn, that's really unfortunate 1f636.png I remember just copying the list I shared to an excel spreadsheet and mark items I purchased green. The list even includes the three new shops in Verahansha, so it should really be exhaustive. 

I hope deleting the save files will help you... this must be really frustrating... 

Thank you, it is a bit infuriating but I'm not gonna let it deter me! I think I might try a similar approach to yours, thanks for the suggestion ?

On 10/3/2020 at 4:44 AM, BB-BakkerJ said:

The trophy was glitched for a long time. Are you playing on the latest patch? You probably are but it’s all I can think off. I would delete all save data, delete and reinstall the game and retry. Good luck!

Hmm I don't know for sure, but this is definitely something I should look into! I would have assumed when I bought it the newest patch should have updated, but then again one should never assume anything...! I already erased everything and started fresh. I do really appreciate both of you keeping me motivated here!

On 10/3/2020 at 6:29 PM, Spaz said:

Quite an interesting game. Has the old school JRPG appeal, when Square did Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger. 

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, one of my favorite JRPGs back in the Super Nintendo days was FF3 (it was really FF6), and this game plays very similarly to that!! And Chrono Trigger too, for that matter. Very highly recommend it if you need an old-school fix as such! Although just a fair warning, you may want to look into the Eternal Slip minigame before purchasing, as that was very tricky to get through for the 2 trophies tied to it.

• Like 1

3 playthroughs for you Joe, bc in the 2nd you're going to do the minimal fights, so no enough money, I suppose.

For the first time players, but you can go back with the meteomobile before reaching the point of no-return don't you? and buy things? btw, when/where was the point of no return? ?

Good luck to you Joe :D

Edited by Puppeter04
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Puppeter04 said:

3 playthroughs for you Joe, bc in the 2nd you're going to do the minimal fights, so no enough money, I suppose.

For the first players, but you can go back with the meteomobile before reaching the point of no-return don't you? and buy things? btw, when/where was the point of no return? 1f602.png

Good luck to you Joe :D

Thank you for the well wishes!! Unfortunately for me, I'm on my 5th playthrough because this trophy is being stubborn for me ? The point of no return would be towards the end at the Ice Castle. The Architect there will warn you that you are going past the point of no return; you have to say yes before you head to Cliboe's dimension (I think it is just labeled as "Dimension"), and once you go to that particular area you cannot go back. I do believe the Meteomobile will let you access anywhere EXCEPT for the Jungle area (not 100% sure on this one?) and the places past the point of no return. However if you are following the item list on PST.org you wouldn't need to purchase anything from the Jungle area anyway, you would just need to watch out for the missable MD Cart in that area. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

Thank you for the well wishes!! Unfortunately for me, I'm on my 5th playthrough because this trophy is being stubborn for me 1f643.png The point of no return would be towards the end at the Ice Castle. The Architect there will warn you that you are going past the point of no return; you have to say yes before you head to Cliboe's dimension (I think it is just labeled as "Dimension"), and once you go to that particular area you cannot go back. I do believe the Meteomobile will let you access anywhere EXCEPT for the Jungle area (not 100% sure on this one?) and the places past the point of no return. However if you are following the item list on PST.org you wouldn't need to purchase anything from the Jungle area anyway, you would just need to watch out for the missable MD Cart in that area. 

5?????!? God have mercy on your soul, but you can do it ?

Great, thanks! I'll keep that in mind

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

I guess the D-Pad makes these trophies a pain.

No doubt about that! It is just 6.5 minutes each way of being precise and completely dialed in... And the D-Pad does not make things any easier! I was using one of my controllers that has seen better days, but had to switch it out because it kept throwing me off the edge since there is very little room for error. As others have alluded, hopefully the PS5 controller will make things a bit easier!

I was finally able to make this work!! As I alluded to previously, I deleted all of my save files from system storage. Don't worry tho, you can always store your original files to the cloud in case you want to go back to them! I just made sure to track each and every item I bought and it worked. I'm going to update my original post with this info as well, to hopefully save others from 5 playthroughs like me ?

• Like 3