Death Stranding is certainly a masterpiece, but let me list some annoyances

andreofgyn

I liked the game a lot, very memorable, full of cool moments, the LOW ROAR songs are a great discover for me, but let me express some gameplay annoyances:

• BB crying/laughing for everything. What about an option to leave BB in a safe house/facility after you finish the game? I don't care about detecting BTs at this point;
  • Climbing. The worst mechanic of the game by far, basically just button mashing till him grab;
  • Stairs. Why not always have an option to "GRAB" the stair, so I don't fall for nothing!?
  • Ziplines setup. Whenever you set that perfect Zipline that's 340m afar, clear view and you say, ok, cool, I'll upgrade it and then JUST AFTER you go to hell and back to get the components and upgrade it, the game tells you that EXIST an obstacle blocking, like seriously, whoever programmed that distance > 300m and < 350m red message takes priority over obstacle blocking red message should be FIRED, this is just stupid. I recommend saving before upgrade any zipline due to that;
  • Rewards. Whenever you receive a reward (like 400 metals or 1000 blood bags), why can't I immediately put it in my private locker? You have to close the menu first, so, I end up just OFFLOADING.

Like I said, I liked and I really recommend the game and the most part of this list must be annoying just if you are a platinum hunter, so, don't be so serious ?.

• Like 2

The game does have alot going for it. I have watched my wife play maybe 15 hours of it. The music is awesome and is the game itself is so pretty to look at. The plot at the beginning is so confusing, what is going on and the whys. The mule aspect makes it really ridiculous though. You are so loaded with stuff and it makes you look silly. As well as hard to maneuver as you trip and fall over the smallest thing and it sends you flailing. It seems to get tedious too , with all the back and forth. 

36 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

The game does have alot going for it. I have watched my wife play maybe 15 hours of it. The music is awesome and is the game itself is so pretty to look at. The plot at the beginning is so confusing, what is going on and the whys. The mule aspect makes it really ridiculous though. You are so loaded with stuff and it makes you look silly. As well as hard to maneuver as you trip and fall over the smallest thing and it sends you flailing. It seems to get tedious too , with all the back and forth. 

The game really gets better as you go, just reach the chapter 3, the power skeleton is a true game changer. I think there is a deluxe version that you get it from the start (I would not spend money on that tho). Later you also get grenade pouches, vehicles, extra batteries etc.

You really don't have to carry a lot of stuff normally, but as a beginner, you probably will carry a lot of unnecessary stuff that just happened to be on the floor and you just didn't know that you didn't need it at that moment (don't carry materials like metals/ceramics if you don't plan to use it immediately), I did that. For the most part, you just need your cargo and some small stuff.

It's a really easy and delightful platinum once you get a hang of it, it never felt boring to me and my only big annoyance was upgrading ziplines due to what I wrote.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, I adore Death Stranding and consider it my 3rd favourite PS exclusive of the generation (behind God of War TLOU Part II), so for me all of these are nitpicks. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

My (Minor) Criticisms:

- Prepper progression is confusing. The trick, by the way, is to rest up each time and wait for emails. However, even with this, it can take a while and I found these insanely time consuming. 

- Delivery categories felt pointless. I personally found little to no difference in levelling these up. I don't know why they exist, and the fact they added a painful Gold Trophy for getting Level 60 in each category is annoying. I actually found Lv. 60 of the Misc. category more annoying that Best Beloved, even if the latter took me 20 hours of grinding, and wasn't quite done on my way to Best Beloved. 

- Repeated cutscenes for trivial things (entering rest room, shower, ordering a vehicle, etc.) They patched in a more obvious skip prompt but this is still extremely annoying. They fortunately gave you the option to turn off the BT animations, which were even worse. 

- Higgs is a s**t bad guy. He's so generic. The other antagonists are much better. Such a waste of Troy Baker's talents. Otherwise I thought the acting was excellent, but this was a huge wasted opportunity. 

- Finally, I personally think vehicle and back cargo degradation is too fast - especially in the snow, my Christ. I think the timefall degradation mechanic is pretty good, overall, but its affect its pretty inconsistent. For structures, you'll virtually never have to worry about them falling apart. For vehicles, they are affected insanely quickly. Really irritating. 

On 02/10/2020 at 6:27 PM, andreofgyn said:
  • Ziplines setup. Whenever you set that perfect Zipline that's 340m afar, clear view and you say, ok, cool, I'll upgrade it and then JUST AFTER you go to hell and back to get the components and upgrade it, the game tells you that EXIST an obstacle blocking, like seriously, whoever programmed that distance > 300m and < 350m red message takes priority over obstacle blocking red message should be FIRED, this is just stupid. I recommend saving before upgrade any zipline due to that

I agree with most of your points, but I don't necessarily agree with ziplines. The map has a lot of verticality so I think that is part of the in-game challenge of constructing an OP zipline network, and as long as you're willing to compromise 10-20m, you can usually get it to connect eventually. Also I think I constructed 2 or 3 Lv. 3 ziplines EVER.  Generally speaking my advice for Central Region would be to only construct roads and ziplines anyway, for Best Beloved etc., as you can rely on online structures and facilities for virtually everything else. Lv. 3 ziplines really aren't needed as that 50m difference is minimal (6 Lv. 2 ziplines - 7 Lv. 3 ziplines). 

On 02/10/2020 at 7:01 PM, kingofbattle8174 said:

The mule aspect makes it really ridiculous though

If you're referring to the faction themselves, I completely agree. MULE camps felt SO forced and the fact that their backstory is that they are 'addicted to cargo' is hilariously stupid. 

7 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

My (Minor) Criticisms:

- Prepper progression is confusing. The trick, by the way, is to rest up each time and wait for emails. However, even with this, it can take a while and I found these insanely time consuming. 

- Delivery categories felt pointless. I personally found little to no difference in levelling these up. I don't know why they exist, and the fact they added a painful Gold Trophy for getting Level 60 in each category is annoying. I actually found Lv. 60 of the Misc. category more annoying that Best Beloved, even if the latter took me 20 hours of grinding, and wasn't quite done on my way to Best Beloved. 

- Repeated cutscenes for trivial things (entering rest room, shower, ordering a vehicle, etc.) They patched in a more obvious skip prompt but this is still extremely annoying. They fortunately gave you the option to turn off the BT animations, which were even worse. 

- Higgs is a s**t bad guy. He's so generic. The other antagonists are much better. Such a waste of Troy Baker's talents. Otherwise I thought the acting was excellent, but this was a huge wasted opportunity. 

- Finally, I personally think vehicle and back cargo degradation is too fast - especially in the snow, my Christ. I think the timefall degradation mechanic is pretty good, overall, but its affect its pretty inconsistent. For structures, you'll virtually never have to worry about them falling apart. For vehicles, they are affected insanely quickly. Really irritating. 

I agree with most of your points, but I don't necessarily agree with ziplines. The map has a lot of verticality so I think that is part of the in-game challenge of constructing an OP zipline network, and as long as you're willing to compromise 10-20m, you can usually get it to connect eventually. Also I think I constructed 2 or 3 Lv. 3 ziplines EVER.  Generally speaking my advice for Central Region would be to only construct roads and ziplines anyway, for Best Beloved etc., as you can rely on online structures and facilities for virtually everything else. Lv. 3 ziplines really aren't needed as that 50m difference is minimal (6 Lv. 2 ziplines - 7 Lv. 3 ziplines). 

Yep, I agree, prepper progression felt unnecessary confusing if you are not into guides, also the collectibles being hidden till you max a prepper connection felt silly.

About the trivial cutscenes, I'm most grateful that we can at least skip them, lol.

People said that playing on very easy or hard didn't make that difference, but I tell you, the timefall is much worse if you play on hard, although vehicles degradation is not a big problem, since you can easily use other players vehicles.

About ziplines, I think I didn't described it right, because ziplines lv1 till 300m are fine, it's about zipline upgrade to lv2, when you gain 50 meters, so 350m, but the game don't tell you if there is an obstacle interfering before you upgrade it, sometimes it's easy to tell, but sometimes it's not (mountains, the farm with different terrain elevations etc). Lv3 I think I just built one for the trophy and you don't gain any more meters.

The challenge to reach the point to build the perfect zipline is welcomed, but upgrading to level 2 being a hit or miss felt like a bug to me, although is very rewarding when you successful connect ~350m.

Overall, the game is great and I wish the platinum journey was longer and more difficult.

• 1 month later...

I thoroughly enjoyed Death Stranding!  And I consider the Metal Gears series to be... solid, but overrated. 

That said, Death Stranding completely caught me by surprise.  The world was stunning and a blast to explore, and I loved the world building experience. 

Timefall was even very fun for me.  And I do not enjoy overly aggressive weapon degradation.  

I legitimately have very few complaints for Death Stranding.  Funny thing was, my biggest annoyance with Death Stranding was patched after I Platinumed the game!  When BT's would arrived everything slowed and zoomed on your detector