Is DQXI S just the switch port or will it run and look better?

I want to play this game, but then Square announced the updated version will release sometime in December. Although this is cool I’ve heard this is literally the Nintendo Switch port, even down to its visuals. I know graphics aren’t everything, but I can’t help but feel a little cheated out of performance and such. Has Square mentioned anything about how this game will run and look on PS4/PS5?

4 minutes ago, xHydroBoltx said:

I want to play this game, but then Square announced the updated version will release sometime in December. Although this is cool I’ve heard this is literally the Nintendo Switch port, even down to its visuals. I know graphics aren’t everything, but I can’t help but feel a little cheated out of performance and such. Has Square mentioned anything about how this game will run and look on PS4/PS5?

Not sure but I would assume it would at least run better.  The Switch is a glorified tablet.  Im sure the graphics are fine since its a cartoony style game.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now this seeems to be another example of "it gets worse if you buy only digital". With todays release of the Definitive Edition they kind of delisted the original PS4-Version. Means, you can still find it via web search, but it's no longer available for buying on PS Store (so it's there for people who already bought it).

But I also have to admit honestly, that with recent comparisons of the actual game on PS4, the difference between those versions is much smaller to my eyes than it was with comparisons of Switch vs. PS4. Of course it's still noticeable to a certain degree (especially if you look closer at the grass or some details on cloths or shadows), but it's way better than I expected.

and here's an older comparison:

• Like 1

The most significant change is the world shadows (or lighting?) is almost entirely gone. Look at Cobblestone, it looks remarkedly different in the original with parts of the village under shadow whereas on "definitive" that's all gone and it looks flat and plain. It's like if you turned off shadows and lighting in a PC game.

Also it doesn't run the same as the original. The original ran at 30FPS but had a significant resolution bump on the PS4 Pro. Don't quote me but I believe it was around 1800p with checkerboard rendering. Needless to say it looks very crisp on a 4K screen. The new version trades that resolution for stock standard 1080p but does run at 60FPS although it could be argued that 60FPS is useless in a turn based JRPG.

So yeah, quite a big downgrade from the original. Much lower resolution, greatly reduced visuals (although you probably won't notice unless compared side by side), but we do get 60FPS. Not all bad but hardly what I'd call "definitive". The extra content is nice though and there's a whole new game there in 2D mode.

Edited by Mayadome
  • Like 1