PS4 Hard Drive Placement

HeySumbode

Via IGN

At E3, Sony confirmed that the PlayStation 4 would allow owners to remove and upgrade the built-in hard drive, and now, we know how. PC enthusiast website Computer Bild has posted detailed photos of the PS4's removable housing and HDD tray. According to the post, the hard drive is housed underneath the glossy exterior panel on top of the device and can be removed via torx screwdriver. Like the PS3, the system uses a 2.5" laptop hard drive, which should enable users to upgrade the system with a solid state drive, provided they're willing to go through the trouble and incur the expense.

204d9473-642d-41a3-8589-0a7e76fd61f8_640

960e3b0e-9faf-4c4b-802c-bedab75977dd_640

1829b188-7244-45cb-8b2e-3a9705956a57_640

b5d6625f-9256-48d9-80db-318ebb5f8028_640

4f15b5bc-1c20-43b9-90e3-aaa8872624da_640

Just in case anyone wanted to know where the Hard Drive was...

Edited by HeySumbode

I love the symbols on the screw that holds the Tray in place. 

(Also this looks very similar to the PS3 HDD Tray excluding positioning which is nice)

Hopefully you don't need a torx screwdriver cause I would have to buy one if I ever got a PS4 and wanted to buy a new HDD (and I would seeing as my PS3 HDD is maxed out at 500GB) 

I love the symbols on the screw that holds the Tray in place. 

(Also this looks very similar to the PS3 HDD Tray excluding positioning which is nice)

Hopefully you don't need a torx screwdriver cause I would have to buy one if I ever got a PS4 and wanted to buy a new HDD (and I would seeing as my PS3 HDD is maxed out at 500GB) 

Says you need a torx.

Im going to be tempted to do this day 1. I love my 1tb drive in ps3. 

Welp, I may be swapping in a 1TB HDD in my PS4 before I even boot it up now. 500gb will surely get filled fairly quickly, especially with PS+ and I don't want to have to go through to trouble of backing up all that data and then restoring it. Swapping the HDD doesn't void the warranty on your PS4, does it?

Parker

Welp, I may be swapping in a 1TB HDD in my PS4 before I even boot it up now. 500gb will surely get filled fairly quickly, especially with PS+ and I don't want to have to go through to trouble of backing up all that data and then restoring it. Swapping the HDD doesn't void the warranty on your PS4, does it?

Parker

It did not void the warranty on the PS3, so I doubt that would change. Especially if they let you do it. The drive just isn't covered, but everything else should remain covered.