Typhoon Studios Closed, Google owns all Source Code

https://kotaku.com/stadia-developers-cant-fix-the-bugs-in-their-own-game-b-1846331302

Article above explains the situation but part of the closures due to Google shuttering their Stadia division means Typhoon Studios that they bought and absorbed as was also closed and every dev was laid offed. The other fallout of this situation is that when Google initially bought Typhoon Studios they also procured the rights to the source code for every version of this game.

While currently nothing is known as broken in the game for consoles this means neither the previous devs or 505 studios themselves as publisher can further update or fix the game. Leaving the Stadia version out to pasture with many many issues and the future unknown for the Console versions if problems do arise somehow.

Edited by Lord_Bane999
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Greeeat. Fuck you, Google. I wonder if the devs will come together to start a new studio or something such? Hopefully, Journey to the Savage Planet looks great, I just haven't been able to convince my co-op partner to get it yet.

It still goes on sale every so often, I would try to encourage them to pick up digitally when it does next. It's seems Stadia players are having connection issues including multiplayer. But idk myself if these multiplayer issues will happen on Console as well or not. (Need confirmation wether it's Peer to Peer or Server Base.)

• Like 3

So potentially the Platinum could become unobtainable if the servers break or co op breaks for the game. I'm not sure the game has offline co op.

Not to mention that one of the trophies is known to be glitched and (obviously) can't be fixed.

Google really sucks if they try to do anything but email and search engines. They are like Microsoft but they fail at everything and run by people who don't understand how things work.

2 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

Google really sucks if they try to do anything but email and search engines. They are like Microsoft but they fail at everything and run by people who don't understand how things work.

Yeah, apparently they have an innovation fetish - people get rewarded for new projects, not so much for keeping projects active.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

So potentially the Platinum could become unobtainable if the servers break or co op breaks for the game. I'm not sure the game has offline co op.

Not to mention that one of the trophies is known to be glitched and (obviously) can't be fixed.

If what's glitched is for the main game, 505 might be able to to fix that still. Digging further it seems separation of source code happened after Google bought Typhoon. So basically any dev work that Typhoon did after this might not be owned (dlc only, main game for consoles was already developed before Google's purchase) but previous source code might be available to 505 pending they never got rid of it.

This still doesn't give them a 100% fix though of course as they may need the additional course code in order to make a fix or fixing one issue could cause another issue that again they don't have source code to verify or fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2021 at 4:14 AM, POEman553 said:

AFAIK, the servers are P2P so can't be shutdown but I've never had any issues with lag. Also, the co-op is online only, with no option to do it offline. The trophy glitches are extremely rare and I've never had any issues getting any of the trophies on either of my accounts I played this game on.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

AFAIK, the servers are P2P so can't be shutdown but I've never had any issues with lag. Also, the co-op is online only, with no option to do it offline. The trophy glitches are extremely rare and I've never had any issues getting any of the trophies on either of my accounts I played this game on.

Thanks for the update on that, that was the biggest detail missing as I couldn't find anywhere specifically from the Devs if it was peer to peer or not.