State of Play February 25, 2021

Aranea Highwind

I'm actually STUNNED that Square Enix is giving us (people who bought FF7 Remake) a FREE PS5 upgrade.

I fully expected them to just sell it to us again. You know there are enough Final Fantasy nutjobs who would re-purchase it.

I have extreme bitter taste in my mouth for what they did with Dragon Quest XI. And no, I did not re-purchase it.

1 hour ago, BlitzkriegHottie said:

What is it with this neverending trend of making everything cartooney? 

Literally everything aside from Returnal (which was, frankly, the only interesting thing to me) is cartooney. 

It is not a matter of style anymore, now it just feels lazy and generic. 

Crash 4 and Oddworld get a pass, but everything else is so bland looking. 

Also, no updates on Disco Elysium nor Stanley Parable, nor on the best game of 2020, Hades.

Worst State of Play I've ever seen.

Umm.. is Hades not "cartooney"? Is Disco Elysium not "cartooney"?

I don't understand your definition of "cartooney".

Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Sifu, and Deathloop are not exactly cartooney, to me.

Anyway, it's called "different art styles". If everything was ultra realistic, other people would be complaining that every game looks ultra realistic, why are games so generic and bland.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, peffsi said:

is Hades not "cartooney"? Is Disco Elysium not "cartooney"?

I don't understand your definition of "cartooney".

Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Sifu, and Deathloop are not exactly cartooney, to me.

Anyway, it's called "different art styles". If everything was ultra realistic, other people would be complaining that every game looks ultra realistic, why are games so generic and bland.

Yes, those are cartooney. That doesn't mean everything has to be cartooney. Deathloop and Sifu are definitely cartooney. Not saying that games shouldn't be cartooney, just that in this whole presentation everything but Returnal is. 

"Different art style" isn't unique at all, Kena looks like a generic Disney character, Deathloop's world and characters look exactly like Dishonored's but with an orange filter, Solar Ash looks exactly like No Man's Sky or Bound.

I mean, that doesn't mean they can't be good games, hell, one of them (money is on SA) could be one of the best games of the year, but they aren't visually appealing at all.