State of Play February 25, 2021

Aranea Highwind

State of Play - Feb 25th, 2021
Crash Bandicoot 4 - Not for me, happy for those that love the game tho
Returnal - Keeps reminding me of high budget Risk of Rain 2 with it being a rogue-lite and all, prolly a bit worse give the ROR2 devs are great game designers
Knockout City - Multiplier isn't for me but looks decent
Sifu - Like how it looks, curious how the actual gameplay is, maybe a bit like Absolver?

Solar Ash - I get why there's some mild hype around it, especially given the love Hyper Light Drifter has, but man I just don't like that art style. Seems like a vague open world traversal sorta deal, I'll prolly pick it up depending on the trophies far down the line.

5NAF Security Breach - Not for me at all.
Oddworld Snowstorm - Not for me. I don't even know an Oddworld fan, but since it'll be on PS+ I'll prolly snag it up and play it if the trophies aren't too bad.
Kena: Bridge of Spirits - By far the game I most want to play of this bunch. Curious how good the combat and gameplay will feel but it's drop dead gorgeous.
Deathloop - Not for me, but prolly good given it comes from Arkane.
FF7 Remake Enhanced Edition - Cool!
  • Like 3

I rarely ever have the patience to watch videos, let alone long events like this; even with having spent the last hour procrastinating it seems like my time was better spent that way, judging from these reactions. Deathloop I'll probably buy on sale someday but besides that the only thing I really care about is finding out what PS+ games we're getting.

I give my hype to Deathloop and Kena. Those 2 games look amazing. Though we have seen them a lot before this state of play..

The rest is see how it turns out (returnal & solar ash) to please let it die (FNAF). 

Cq nothing exciting to see here, worst state of play ever and way inferior then last weeks Nintendo direct. (which is saying something). 
ver gt 

Having the sate of play format is just meh, we have about 4 a year (I don't know if that's the exact number it probably isn't) and out of those 4 one of them is good and then rest are mostly just a waste of time with like 1 good game in, I see why they choose to do it this way but personally I just think they should cut the number down and have like 2 a year but make them like an hour long or just over.

16 hours ago, gazdavis11 said:

Do you genuinely believe PS Now isn't great value?  For me it rivals Gamepass though Micorsoft does have the slight edge however Sony has massively closed the gap between the 2 services over the past 12 months in my opinion

I think it's good value (considering I paid half the price for the subscription) but alongside PS+, I dont think they're as good value as game pass ultimate and you dont have to be told by a hundred people to unsubscribe from one or the other when the games keep overlapping on both services which screw you out of more value.

PS Plus + PS Now = £100 rrp

Game Pass Ultimate = £132 rrp - newer games, access to PC versions, access to EA Play, access to all xbox studios games on day 1 (although they dont really have a lot ?)

I would happily pay Sony £11 a month for a game pass ultimate equavalent even if they didnt put their own studios games on there day 1 and they didnt bother with PC and they didnt offer streaming. It just makes more sense to me that you can pay when you think the games are good and stop paying when you dont think its worth it. Sony lets you do that too, except they charge you an extortionate amount if you want to go monthy (£7 for PS Plus and £9 for PS Now). Thats £192, almost double the price of subscribing to both services annually. And we know why they do that because once they have your money upfront for an annual sub, you just have to put up with 'bad months' where you might not play at all.

In short, I dont think its 'great' value.

11 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Anyone else laughed at the announcement of a paid story DLC for a remade 20+ years old game that was cut into at least 3 pieces for purely financial reasons? Feels like a new level of greed. Like greed, but in new game plus mode. 

Oh please.

The argument that FFVII Remake was being split into multiple games "for purely financial reasons" and out of "greed" alone was appropriate, and a legitimate worry prior to the release of the game, but to cling to that now borders on ridiculous. 

Of course the company wants to make money - well, duh, that's what companies do  - but any notion that the first instalment of the Remake would be lacking in content by only telling the first portion of the original story is laughable at this point.

There is more game there, more great design, art, voice work, music and effort gone in to that game than in plenty of other Triple A games.

Remake was not just a cash grab. It is an excellent game, and has clearly been crafted with all the love and care that any fan could hope for, and if it came out as a brand new game, no-one would complain about the length of it, or the content you get for the price.

I, for one, am very happy to dip back into the remake with some DLC, and look forward to the future instalments.

(I'd also mention that there is something a little odd about complaining about a franchise having multiple instalments purely for financial reasons with a Jedi on your trophy card! ??)

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Very excited for The Returnal, Kena and Deathloop. It was a nice State of Play as I was not expecting any big reveals at all, just some updates and release dates. That's what you get in the game industry. Fueled by hype that the 130230234th State of Play people still watch it expecting it to be e3. 

Edited by Stardroid
  • Like 2

I'm interested in Returnal, Solar Ash and Kena, they all look pretty good so far. Otherwise depending on timings and price I might grab the PS5 versions of Crash 4 and FFVIIR when I get the console, definitely nothing that's making me to want one sooner though. 

I was low-key hoping for a "Hades is coming to PS4/5!" announcement in this, but I'll just keep dreaming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Oh please.

The argument that FFVII Remake was being split into multiple games "for purely financial reasons" and out of "greed" alone was appropriate, and a legitimate worry prior to the release of the game, but to cling to that now borders on ridiculous. 

Of course the company wants to make money - well, duh, that's what companies do  - but any notion that the first instalment of the Remake would be lacking in content by only telling the first portion of the original story is laughable at this point.

There is more game there, more great design, art, voice work, music and effort gone in to that game than in plenty of other Triple A games.

Remake was not just a cash grab. It is an excellent game, and has clearly been crafted with all the love and care that any fan could hope for, and if it came out as a brand new game, no-one would complain about the length of it, or the content you get for the price.

I, for one, am very happy to dip back into the remake with some DLC, and look forward to the future instalments.

(I'd also mention that there is something a little odd about complaining about a franchise having multiple instalments purely for financial reasons with a Jedi on your trophy card! 1f609.png1f602.png)

If it came out as a brand new game that people didn't have a chance to play and love before, I highly doubt it would be split into multiple parts. I'm not saying it's lacking content at all, from what I know it's longer and better than most games out there. I'm just saying that I personally don't care too much about the content they've added and would've preferred if they remade "just" the complete FF7 from start to finish, without making it into let's say 3 big games full of new stuff. I have yet to play it so I may change my mind obviously but I doubt I'll be looking at it as if it's "that FF7", if you know what I mean. And the DLC announcement made me laugh a bit because at some point it stops becoming a "remake" and starts to be a game "loosely based on...". This, to me, is starting to seem more like a cash grab or at least like milking the franchise (if you can use that word in this case) a bit too much. Like episodic games having dlc content for each episode. 

And the bit about companies wanting to make money, that's obvious and of course I would've done the same. However good and polished the game/s may be though, I dislike the approach they took, even if I'll like the games themselves, and I'll probably will. Simple as that. 

We are probably getting it as a Plus title in March after all, so maybe in 2 weeks I'll sing a different tune ?

Edited by the1andonly654
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

We are probably getting it as a Plus title in March after all, so maybe in 2 weeks I'll sing a different tune 1f609.png

Well - I hope so :) 

For what it’s worth, prior to release, I had expectations and reservations pretty much in line with yours - and I thought the game not only confounded those negative expectations, but blew them out the water, dried them, skinned them, then wore them like a fetching hat.

13 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Anyone else laughed at the announcement of a paid story DLC for a remade 20+ years old game that was cut into at least 3 pieces for purely financial reasons? Feels like a new level of greed. Like greed, but in new game plus mode. 

Maybe I'm getting too old, but this left a really bad taste in my mouth. 

Kena seems like a decent but a very generic game, so not really hyped for that. Weirdly, has a bit of Beyond Good and Evil vibe to me, but again, more generic. 

Returnal looks intriguing, but also looks like one of those games where the story/setting is subjectively great but the gameplay is mediocre at best and annoying half the time. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Would've been nice to see some big, new AAA games, when a few months after launch the best PS5 only game by far is a remake. 

This is a pretty fair take, though I'm much more excited for the rest of the Remake than I am with 16. Yoshi's take on the series looks too dour and miserable for me.

What is it with this neverending trend of making everything cartooney? 

Literally everything aside from Returnal (which was, frankly, the only interesting thing to me) is cartooney. 

It is not a matter of style anymore, now it just feels lazy and generic. 

Crash 4 and Oddworld get a pass, but everything else is so bland looking. 

Also, no updates on Disco Elysium nor Stanley Parable, nor on the best game of 2020, Hades.

Worst State of Play I've ever seen.

• Like 2