Anyone know a fix?

Stargazer2600

The touchpad on my ps4 controller is starting to feel odd when i press it. Sometimes its to firm and others it feels like theres no resistance at all. My left joystick is also getting a slight drift upwards.

Is there a fix to these issues or do i need a new controller? I would honestly prefer not getting a new controller because the last two controllers I bought for my PS3 turned out to be fake and didn't work at all. I really don't have the money to waste like that.

As HuntingFever mentioned there are great videos on YouTube that can help you fix it. If you have to buy a new controller just buy from a bigger store like Amazon or whatever might be available  in your country. 

Haven’t heard of pirated DualShock 4 controllers but I know PS3 had plenty. The DS4 is kinda expensive but as long as you try to take care of it, it should last quite a while. 

I’m forced to buy at least one controller a year because of how much I play. 

• Like 2

I don't have much advice other than the general "watch YouTube" vids, and if you do decide to go the route of trying to repair a controller yourself, I suggest watching multiple videos before you attempt. Don't bring up a video and immediately try to do it as you're watching, familiarise yourself with the tear down so until you feel comfortable enough to do it without too much guidance from a video. I don't have much know how when it comes to repairing hardware, but I did manage to repair a Dualshock 2 many years ago that was having button issues, though that's probably quite a bit easier to take apart than the Dualshock 4 since it doesn't really have any ribbon cables you need to be careful with.

I will say though, I've had some rather poor experiences with the Dualshock 4. One of my launch controllers developed stick drift on the left stick about 2-3 years after owning it, and I got one of those purple controllers over a year ago now, and it got stick drift in the right stick literally less than a year after owning it. Most of my DS4s are still fine mind you, even the one that came with the console at launch, aside from the rubber peeling off the sticks (not an issue on the newer models), but it seems some controllers have inherent faults that show up sooner or later.

Meanwhile, I have 4 Dualshock 3s, 2 of which are 13+ years old now, and still work perfectly fine aside from the batteries lasting like 6-8 hours tops now. Really been disappointed with newer controllers, not just from Sony, I had a Switch pro controller die on me in less than 3 months of owning it, and literally every single one I own has issues with the right bumper, and I've had 2 Xbox One controllers have issues with double clicking on the D-pad. Never before have I ever had so many issues with controllers before the 8th gen, aside from some Dualshock 2s that would randomly start developing issues even when they're just been sitting in a box for years.

• Like 1

Definitely as others have stated familiarize yourself before disassembly and double check the model number of your Dualshock as the newer models are built differently to the first gen DS4 models. And watch out for those trigger springs, they like to escape during disassembly.

As for the touchpad issue it could be the plastic housing inside that could be the issue, try imagine the touchpad sitting on a see-saw, if you press on the left or right it makes contact with the corresponding pad. It could have perished due to wear and tear or could be infamous dust bunnies that build up causing that firmness you describe and eventually shift away which then cause that no resistance feeling.

As for the stick drift, again could just be dust causing it which a few drops of isopropyl and a can of compressed air could clean out but if we are talking wear and tear, you're looking at sourcing the correct potentiometer to replace the faulty one as well as desoldering the old component, cleaning up any old solder and applying new solder to fit the new component.

Had an issue recently with the touchpad on my PSOne Themed Dualshock 4 where the touchpad would cause the USB port to fail. Learnt a lot from that.

Also don't bin it if you can't fix the stick drift, if you decide to get more into upcycling/repairs you have spare parts to use or sell off.

Edited by Null_Spectre
Making it clearer in regards to the first gen DS4 models.

Alternatively to the other comments with the DIY approach, if you don't have the tools, patience or skills see if someone does repairs.

(legitimate business doing repairs like an electronics shop - not an ebay ad)

In my country I got my DS4 cleaned out from the inside, some soldering done and a small screw replaced for €8 it lasted for another 2 years before the R2 broke completely.

• Like 1