Trumpet_Boi_208

Trophy hunting  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you hunt trophies?

• Get more or the most out of the games I love
    • Build up a massive collection of platinums
    • I’m bored.
    • I like a challenge.
    • I love the rewarding sound of unlocking trophies.
    • Other

My first platinum was God of War 2018. I went for it because when I got to the end, I only had a few trophies left to grab so I thought why not.

Then it happened again with Marvel's Spider-Man.

Then with Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, I had a few more trophies left when I was done with the story, but I'd gotten a bit used to it so I went with it anyway.

Then at some point I was playing through The Witcher 3 on PC for the second time, saw that it was on sale on PlayStation, looked at the trophy list, and decided to buy it and get the platinum for it. It allowed me to revisit one of my favorite games again, and led me to do things that I hadn't thought about doing before.

And I think that's my main reason for going for platinums. I like the fact that trophies kind of guide me towards the content that the developers want me to experience. I also view it as a signal that I've done most if not all of what the game has to offer, and I can move on to another game.

Multiple reasons, mostly getting more out of the games i like, since trophies make you do things i normally wouldnt like some kind of challenge playthrough (RE games trophy lists come to mind as a great example of this) also enjoying challenges and lets be honest, sometimes im just bored.

But yeah option 1 is my main reason for sure. Sometimes it backfires though end i end up getting tired if the list its too tedious, so definitely has its pros and cons.

Edited by mephisto3dg

Personally, I always loved completing and living the most out of the games I like and enjoy. Having the sensation that I saw everything that the game has to offer it was truly the moment I could have moved on into the next experience. I never care about the games that casually played, but when I discovered PSNProfiles it was like discovering a new world. On top of what I said before, now I also love having a place where i can come back and see the games I played and how much I completed them. Is like my personal library or record. That forced me to try to clean my backlog of started games, many of them that are uncompletable nowadays or I just don't like them that much, but i am almost done with that and I quite satisfied with the completion I got.

It has become a hobby for me.. Here in Norway, people have various hobbies such as fixing cars, baking, painting, sewing, etc.. I  like to play.. I am 40 years old now.. Oh I did it side ps1 but didn't start to notice on trophies before ps4. got my first platinum in 2021. And then I found out that I can get more out of all the games I buy per month.

So buying games and getting the most out of the games I have has become a bit of an expensive hobby for me

Edited by thorryhartmann

For years up until I got a PS3 in 2010 (I know, was late to the party) I played PS,XB and PC and wasn't really committed to a particular console. I got 360 before a PS3 and when I started unlocking achievements, at first I wondered what they were, then when I worked out what they were decided to pursue the route of them and why they were a thing. After getting a GS of I think over 35-40k, I was quite into getting cheevos and enjoyed the buzz of popping them. The lads at work were getting plats on PS3 which were obv the alternate and were like "ahh cheevo's are shite, not as good as trophies" etc etc you can probably imagine the banter, so when I got a PS3 in 2010 and retired from XB, I said right, i'll start hunting plats and i'll catch you all up. I think one guy was on 18 plats, the rest were on 5-10 say, so I made it a challenge to catch him and overtake him.

I did, and haven't stopped collecting them since. I do like to get more out of a game I enjoy, but fell foul of the shovel-ware era where for too long I was addicted to hunting trophies for my own personal numbers gain and playing absolute shit to achieve it, regardless of what it was. This in turn made me hate trophies and also put me in a real dip where I didn't want to play 'proper' games instead as getting trophies was just a daily habit and thing to do, which became more of a chore than fun.

I'm no completionist but will if I can get the plat, however my desire for trophies daily has stemmed somewhat as I play games now I want to play and not for the sake of them.

To answer the question, sorry, I l enjoyed the challenge, wanted as many as possible, but for the most part it was always to get that little bit more mileage out of a game!

Edited by Ashbo

• 2 weeks later...

What a story... 

During high school, I've been bullied. Not agressive bullying like beating but more like passive bullying like "You're worthless" something like that. Anyway, one day those guys invited me to play with them on GTA 5. I was very naive so I accepted. But it was just another way to make fun of me. They ended up by saying something like "You suck in real life and also at video games loser". Anyway, I was already hunting trophies back then but not very seriously. 

After that, I created a new account and start hunting trophies.

Even now, I think I want to prove myself that i'm good at something. I mean I love playing video games of course but trophies are a way for me to say "Look, I worth something". I can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing to say that...