Japanese role playing games with 'Western style' combat

JoesusHCrust

4 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

The art style is right up my street and there's a Welsh.....Thing in there! They've got that God-awful turn based combat that I was looking to avoid but I might be tempted. The second one is on sale at 80% off at the moment I've just noticed! 

Yes, it's literally just that combat system and the fact that the game is 'paused' that I don't like. Beyond that, I'll give anything a try! I feel like I've played through many of the 'Western' RPGs (Bethesda stuff, CDPR stuff etc.) so am looking around for other things to try. 

Well I think a happy medium between the two is the more recent Final Fantasy games as they have outgrown the turn based combat and are either an Active Turn based hybrid like FF12, 13 Trilogy, more button mashy like FFXV, or still limited gauges for special attacks and magic like FFVIIR. Dragon Quest XI gives you the option to switch from traditional turn based to a more active one so that's always cool to have the choice. 

I'm a big jrpg guy so I'm fine with all flavors of them, I just think that in some games it works better than others so you don't notice it as much. Like Yakuza Like A Dragon, it plays into some of the concepts of the game so its kind of funny in a way, but other games it can be a huge time killer and just make battles feel like a chore.

Also, not sure if anyone suggested it, but Persona 5 Strikers is an excellent choice. Playing it now and the musou fighting doesn't take away from the games charm and style at all, it almost feels natural. They did an excellent job with it.

11 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

While not a PlayStation game, it's another Falcom one. Xanadu Next for PC (not the N-Gage). XN's combat is a middle ground between Diablo and the earlier Ys games. It's best played using both a gamepad and a mouse (to use the item menu).

This is one game I'd like to see remastered for PS4.

Wow Radiant, Thanks for mentioning that this is on PC. I'm buying it off Steam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 3:07 PM, colia100 said:

Dragon's Dogma 

feels equally japanese as european 

Indeed; it keeps all the terrible storytelling from a Japanese game, and all the jank  of a Euro-style RPG.

And yet...I platted it twice. ?

Edited by starcrunch061

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t have much experience with JRPGs, but from what I have played, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen fits this criteria perfectly.

It’s a wonderfully unique medieval fantasy, hack-n-slash/action RPG by Capcom that has a very Japanese feel to it, but with a lot of Western features. It also borrows small inspirations from a lot of games that leads to it having such a unique feel among most RPGs. I can’t recommend it enough.

I’m really looking forward to stacking the PS4 version one of these days because I had such a great experience with the original on PS3. ?

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have you tried the Yakuza franchise. Whilst its not a full on RPG in that the story is layed out and you have no ability to create characters, it still has more content and other features than any RPG western or eastern has ever done. Its pretty much like The Sims but with gangsters in how it has so much content outside of the story that its like a violent life rpg lol. Very good combat too like your typical hack & slash.beat em up type thing. 

On 4/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I don’t have much experience with JRPGs, but from what I have played, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen fits this criteria perfectly.

Best example given. Amazing game. 

• Like 1