How to stop bricking ps3 with name change?

Lonemankane

Hey everyone just wanting to know if anyone knows a way to stop name changing to brick the ps3 I own as yeah I don't want it to be bricked because of one crappy glitch that is going to make things painfuly hard in far cry 2 as I got diamonds in all slots before I hit level 18 so I like to know if anyone knows a way to stop name changing from bricking my console as if I know how to I can have a plan if all goes to the worse and I need to use that as a means to get far cry 2 done.

Changing your PSN ID won't affect your PS3 hardware unless you're playing one of the rare games that reacts violently to the change i.e most of the CODs. AFAIK, FC2 is one of the games where a name change will wipe your stats so you have to start over from scratch but that's it, no crashing or anything like that. If you do have problems, the only fix is to change your PSN ID back to what it was originally.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Changing your PSN ID won't affect your PS3 hardware unless you're playing one of the rare games that reacts violently to the change i.e most of the CODs. AFAIK, FC2 is one of the games where a name change will wipe your stats so you have to start over from scratch but that's it, no crashing or anything like that.

will it mess with mw2 and 3? as I need them to be done too

7 minutes ago, Null_Spectre said:

Could you just earn the trophies you need before changing your PSN ID? Would save you a lot of hassle in starting over or possibly breaking trophy progression in some games.

well I would but people been telling me that far cry 2 is shutting down soon so am kind of in a rush to finish it before may comes around

18 minutes ago, KANERKB said:

won't that mess with my trophies well getting the trophies on spec ops?

Only if you have played the game before changing your name. If you have never played the game in question, there's nothing to worry about because there's nothing for it to change. See here for the full list of affected games and what side effects there are to changing your PSN ID: 

1 minute ago, HuntingFever said:

Only if you have played the game before changing your name. If you have never played the game in question, there's nothing to worry about because there's nothing for it to change. See here for the full list of affected games and what side effects there are to changing your PSN ID: 

Well I did play it years ago, it is why am asking, as it is on my list

3 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

People on the ps3 subreddit have reported that when they changed their name, it was treated as a brand new account on the call of duty games, even if they had played it in the past

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

People on the ps3 subreddit have reported that when they changed their name, it was treated as a brand new account on the call of duty games, even if they had played it in the past

Ouch, I didn't realise that :(. In that case, the OP is utterly screwed when it comes to the COD titles they mentioned :(. Your only options are to either avoid changing your PSN ID until after you have got the trophies you're after or revert it if you have already changed it.

9 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Ouch, I didn't realise that :(. In that case, the OP is utterly screwed when it comes to the COD titles they mentioned :(. Your only options are to either avoid changing your PSN ID until after you have got the trophies you're after or revert it if you have already changed it.

I don't know if it affects the spec ops, but it does affect the competitive multiplayer