rjkclarke's Carnival of Diamonds and Rust

rjkclarke

21 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #368

Nexomon (PS4)

Lddae67.png

I've only played the sequel, Nexomon: Extinction. I also went in knowing it was a Pokemon clone (and appreciative that it didn't try to disguise or ignore that fact), but I had not been aware of the game's penchant for fourth-wall-breaking humor, which initially threw me a bit! 😂 I ended up enjoying the goofy narrative a lot though, and appreciated that it had a solid story that wasn't just "gotta catch 'em all" or "beat the game's analog of the Elite 4".

The only small frustration for me is that a handful of Nexomon spawns are extremely limited, as in not just "they spawn in this patch of grass", but "they spawn in these 8 tiles of this patch of grass". There is a really good Steam guide for that, thankfully. Finally, the end-game super legendary Nexomon felt impossible to get to spawn, I had to take a long break from the RNG grind. You've motivated me to hop back into the game soon and hopefully nab them, though!

@Platinum_Vice I definitely agree with rjkclarke that the Nexomon series does a great job of refreshing the Pokemon combat mechanics. Worth checking out if you want to scratch that Pokemon itch and don't mind a bit of tongue-in-cheek!

• Like 2