GameStop has 2.3 Million PS4 Units on Backorder

Parker

Sony wanted to sell 5 million PlayStation 4 units worldwide by March of 2014, correct? If this is true that means the PS4 will already have at least 3.3 million units sold because I'm sure there are other retailers with systems on backorder too. I'm sure there will be a lot more sales when the system releases worldwide too. 

Earlier this week, Sony announced sales of the PlayStation 4 had passed one millionunits in the first 24 hours after launch in North America. But according to GameStop, the retailer expects over twice as many people are still waiting to get their hands on the console, according to a report from Bloomberg. A recent conference call had GameStop claiming upcoming PS4 sales of 2.3 million.

ps4image-610x343.jpg

According to the same report, launch sales of the PlayStation 4 are already 80 percent higher than the launch of the PlayStation 3. GameStop made the claims during a call with industry analysts on Thursday. Sony stated a portion of the one million PlayStation 4 units sold in the first 24 hours after launch included pre-orders, but it's not immediately clear if GameStop is arriving at the 2.3 million backorder number via actual orders or just prospective sales in general.

On an interesting note, GameStop shares had fallen by "as much as 11 percent" prior to the conference call where the staggering sales projections were made.

Source: IGN

The PS4 is off to quite the start and I imagine the Xbone will have a pretty damn decent launch too. It will be interesting to compare sales figures and see how much of a difference Microsoft reversing policies really made. 

Parker
Edited by Parker
  • Like 2