Mercenary's mode opinions

Jason-DFG

First of all i don't know who tought it would be a smart idea adding this in. I can agree to the first 4 levels but the 4 levels on village of shadows is too difficult for my skillset.

I managed to beat the basic levels on S rank barelly, then i figured out you had to do them again on village of shadows and thats where it broke me. I managed to beat the first hard level on S barely with a few hundred score and now the last 3 levels i can't even get passed the B and C ranks.

This alone might be a plat killer for alot of people including me as i don't got the patience nor the skillset to do the same level over and over for the next oncoming weeks.

1 minute ago, Doctor_Gunner said:

If you follow a guide getting an S is very easy. trust me the ony kinda hard level is factory two but is completely doable

I did attempt using 2 diff guides for the last 3 levels but my main issue is losing the streak and dying to quickly because of the 2 hit kill.

I've done worser trophys then this yet i somehow can't manage to s rank these.

2 minutes ago, Jason-DFG said:

I did attempt using 2 diff guides for the last 3 levels but my main issue is losing the streak and dying to quickly because of the 2 hit kill.

I've done worser trophys then this yet i somehow can't manage to s rank these.

the key is to fire the handgun as fast as you can. it is tiring to your hand but you absolutelly have to do this to not die or lose streak

Edited by Doctor_Gunner

28 minutes ago, Doctor_Gunner said:

the key is to fire the handgun as fast as you can. it is tiring to your hand but you absolutelly have to do this to not die or lose streak

You actually shoot faster if you time your shots well with the animation of the pistol. Using R2 as fast as you can is slower. It takes some time to figure out the timing, but you should definitely try.

It also keeps your hands in a better condition ;=)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

You actually shoot faster if you time your shots well with the animation of the pistol. Using R2 as fast as you can is slower. It takes some time to figure out the timing, but you should definitely try.

It might be the fact i was worn out from the many attempts i did for the first s rank level. Will try again tomorrow on a fresh head.

11 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Maybe u will habe to check out my SSS No Blue Orbs guides

Im still to upload Castle 2, Factory 2 and Mad Village 2, but will be on Frid

My routes differ quite a bit to the general, run and gun most guides are following, I have a lot of room for mistakes as well as SSS no blue orbs. 

Castle 2 for example, at one point I actually keep despawning/spawning enemies to pick them all off 1 at a time instead off dealing with them all at once like most are doing. We also go into Area 4 on Castle 2 with 50 explosive rounds making it pretty easy

Factory 2 we actually get SSS on area 1, leaves u with area 2 for extra points, again with 30 or so explosive rounds

These are all with no blue orbs so with very accessible routing. Maybe may help ya as like I say my routing is very different.......??? 

Will make sure to check them out. That might be easier the way you describe it i've only seen guides that go about run and gun meanwhile getting blue orbs and the yellow time ones.

14 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

There is actually a bit more to it than that, the timing changes depending on the Fire Rate level and can sometimes throw you out. 

I'd say every1 wants to fully upgrade Fire Rate first always as then they dont have to keep adjusting to the different timing and get thrown out the rhythm!! 

11 minutes ago, Jason-DFG said:

Will make sure to check them out. That might be easier the way you describe it i've only seen guides that go about run and gun meanwhile getting blue orbs and the yellow time ones.

I was running and gunning Castle 2 to begin with but was really annoying me as it gets too chaotic/random and so ended up spending about 15hrs on Castle 2 experimenting before I figured out the spawn/despawn/spawn/despawn cheese that I now employ for it

My Factory 2 is pretty methodical and consistent, as I say, SSS area 1 with no blue orbs, I just gotta clean up my Sturm kill a bit more as that is the only messy thing on it now

Friday Castle 2 and Factory 2 will go up, my thread is on PS5 board, may be worth a look!! 

As I say see it, there are sorta 3 guide types out there for you to try out;

1. The Knife/Masamune way. 

2. The general Pistol/Mag run and gun way. 

3. And my no blue orbs way. 

Great thing about the no blue orbs though is thay it works no matter what blue orbs u find ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

There is actually a bit more to it than that, the timing changes depending on the Fire Rate level and can sometimes throw you out. 

I'd say every1 wants to fully upgrade Fire Rate first always as then they dont have to keep adjusting to the different timing and get thrown out the rhythm!! 

I was running and gunning Castle 2 to begin with but was really annoying me as it gets too chaotic/random and so ended up spending about 15hrs on Castle 2 experimenting before I figured out the spawn/despawn/spawn/despawn cheese that I now employ for it

My Factory 2 is pretty methodical and consistent, as I say, SSS area 1 with no blue orbs, I just gotta clean up my Sturm kill a bit more as that is the only messy thing on it now

Friday Castle 2 and Factory 2 will go up, my thread is on PS5 board, may be worth a look!! 

As I say see it, there are sorta 3 guide types out there for you to try out;

1. The Knife/Masamune way. 

2. The general Pistol/Mag run and gun way. 

3. And my no blue orbs way. 

Great thing about the no blue orbs though is thay it works no matter what blue orbs u find ;)

I will prob wait till you got the last 3 levels up then looks like. I hadn't even heard of that trick of spawn/despawn/spawn/despawn till u mentioned it it might be worth the try i usually did it by running around gunning them down but like u said that gets chaotic quick if u don't keep a hold to it. And the fact that your limited to healing makes it even harder with the 2 hit death if that wasn't a thing i bet u it wouldn't be as difficult as it is.

Just now, Jason-DFG said:

I will prob wait till you got the last 3 levels up then looks like. I hadn't even heard of that trick of spawn/despawn/spawn/despawn till u mentioned it it might be worth the try i usually did it by running around gunning them down but like u said that gets chaotic quick if u don't keep a hold to it. And the fact that your limited to healing makes it even harder with the 2 hit death if that wasn't a thing i bet u it wouldn't be as difficult as it is.

Cuz im the only one perhaps to test it all that far, I perhaps waste a bit more time than I should sometimes doing so xD

Its in regards to the rooms with the 2 sisters and the jetpack soldat all on Area 3, I despawn/spawn the enemies in those rooms and we pick them off one at a time. 

In the first sister room, I actually spawn each of the enemies in there 1 at a time, there is a cheese to do it that way instead off them all spawning all at once!! 

Area 4 does have a very specific spawning path so everything lines up correctly with enemy spacing to keep combo going, but its very hard to discover unless u take the time experiementing

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

I'd say this is a must to get the S rank ;) 

8 minutes ago, Jason-DFG said:

And the fact that your limited to healing makes it even harder with the 2 hit death if that wasn't a thing i bet u it wouldn't be as difficult as it is.

Get used to blocking. It is almost always worth it to waste a second or two with blocking instead of struggling through the 5-10 seconds bite animation and losing your combo during that.

Damage while blocking is highly reduced by default and can be completely eliminated with a specific blue orb perk (not the first choice to pick but somewhat useful).

Fire arrows are annoying AF but the close range attacks are absolutely managable with blocking. Try to keep a minimum distance to the enemies and use L1 often.

10 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

I'd say this is a must to get the S rank ;) 

Definitely m8, like you say, I dont think many realise just how much better it is having that Fire Rate fully upgraded and finding the timing on the button presses to shoot faster

I think at first glance, Power seems better but I dont know why, but Fire Rate 2nd upgrade compared to last 3rd seems like a massive jump in firing speed, did you find that to?? The stat difference isnt any different from 1st to 2md upgrade, but 3rd upgrade is so much faster!! 

Also, what I dont think many realise is that quicker firing means quicker staggering meaning enemies are subdued easier as they are knocked down before they get within that dangerous range 

Edited by Optinooby

4 hours ago, Jason-DFG said:

First of all i don't know who tought it would be a smart idea adding this in. I can agree to the first 4 levels but the 4 levels on village of shadows is too difficult for my skillset.

I managed to beat the basic levels on S rank barelly, then i figured out you had to do them again on village of shadows and thats where it broke me. I managed to beat the first hard level on S barely with a few hundred score and now the last 3 levels i can't even get passed the B and C ranks.

This alone might be a plat killer for alot of people including me as i don't got the patience nor the skillset to do the same level over and over for the next oncoming weeks.

I would say to just keep using the handgun and kind of john wick your way to the end, if you can play the og levels  you can try and learn the spawn points from there as in the harder ones they still all have the same spawn points just some enemies might be added in some parts. just max out dmg and fire rate along with reload at least to 2 bars done then do the level then when you got a lot of money just use it on the either reload speed to max it out and then if you got a lot more money go for the mag and use it to take out the heavy enemies, like in the first level the wolf guys in armour or even the robot guys but always save at least 3 shots for the last big wolf

7 hours ago, Optinooby said:

I think at first glance, Power seems better but I dont know why, but Fire Rate 2nd upgrade compared to last 3rd seems like a massive jump in firing speed, did you find that to?? The stat difference isnt any different from 1st to 2md upgrade, but 3rd upgrade is so much faster!! 

As you said, each upgrade has the same stat. It might feel different, but each upgrade is probably the same improvement over the last one.

1 hour ago, Jason-DFG said:

I managed to sort the last 2 levels i needed today. I managed to figure out the firing speed propperly and i was able to skip the metal fan enemy near the end still giving me a S rank

Congrats. I reached the end of factory 2 stage 1 with 60/64 kills and lost my combo only once. It was enough for S rank.

3 minutes ago, proud2bNs said:

Congrats. I reached the end of factory 2 stage 1 with 60/64 kills and lost my combo only once. It was enough for S rank.

Thanks mate. Yeah it was pure luck i somehow was able to keep up my killstreak to 62 on factory till i nearly died by the metal fan guy so i just beelined for the exit and just had enough.

On 6/3/2021 at 5:28 PM, Optinooby said:

My routes differ quite a bit to the general, run and gun most guides are following, I have a lot of room for mistakes as well as SSS no blue orbs. 

Castle 2 for example, at one point I actually keep despawning/spawning enemies to pick them all off 1 at a time instead off dealing with them all at once like most are doing. We also go into Area 4 on Castle 2 with 50 explosive rounds making it pretty easy

Factory 2 we actually get SSS on area 1, leaves u with area 2 for extra points, again with 30 or so explosive rounds

These are all with no blue orbs so with very accessible routing. Maybe may help ya as like I say my routing is very different.......??? 

bro ignoring the blue orbs like you said made me go from a, to sss first try on first map. thanks

On 10/06/2021 at 1:21 AM, melodicmizery said:

bro ignoring the blue orbs like you said made me go from a, to sss first try on first map. thanks

U still wanna grab them urself m8, im just not doing so in order to make my strategy accessible to every1!! 

2 hours ago, Optinooby said:

U still wanna grab them urself m8, im just not doing so in order to make my strategy accessible to every1!! 

thanks yah i get em when i can but i realized they just start repeating so i can skip some to save on combo time if they are out of the way. i found your guides they are a big help. the hardcore maps are a real bitch. one messup can ruin the entire run. i ran out of handgun ammo. my hands are killing me lol. but its better then power pyxs guide.gonna try again when i have more patience

does picking up the coins help towards score at all? im wondering if i can just run past coins and not worry about it when im on the 4th levels 

1 hour ago, melodicmizery said:

thanks yah i get em when i can but i realized they just start repeating so i can skip some to save on combo time if they are out of the way. i found your guides they are a big help. the hardcore maps are a real bitch. one messup can ruin the entire run. i ran out of handgun ammo. my hands are killing me lol. but its better then power pyxs guide.gonna try again when i have more patience

does picking up the coins help towards score at all? im wondering if i can just run past coins and not worry about it when im on the 4th levels 

Even repeated abilities are helpful, perhaps even more so actually. They stack and I think they stack like in a multiply as well so rather than a flat 10% base dmg bonus each time, it may be like 10% of ur current dmg output so gets better and better

Abilities u should prioritise is 1 x Lightnimg Speed, and then damage output like handgun dmg or long range dmg. Also the ability for a boost to dmg whem enemy is below 30%hp gives the biggest boost, so grab that once at least. 

The Lei adds a but to a bit to score but not much, its ur combo and time remaining which is important. 

You need lei to buy ur upgrades and GM79 ammo later though which can really help

I’ve been going ok with Mercs but Castle II is kicking my ass. And it’s only because of the pistol and my fingers cramping up from all the enemies in the second level of Castle II  I have poor blood circulation in my hands so it doesn’t take much, and I can only do a couple of runs before needing to turn it off. I realise it defeats the purpose of the difficulty but geez I wish there was a way to just hold the trigger in once and have the gun spam out bullets!

I think this’ll be one Plat I won’t be getting sadly. 

Edited by OTPYG

On 3/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Optinooby said:

Your videos are great, man. I got them all thanks to you. Cheers!