Can't find leopard tortoise

MidnightDragon

Probably wasting my time asking here, but worth a try. I have the mission to take a picture of the leopard tortoise. According to the guide, you go to the area after reading the e-mail and a cutscene will trigger and then you can use your RC cam, yet I've done so multiple times and it won't trigger. Any idea what I can do to make it work? Should I just leave it for now and try another time?

Edited by MidnightDragon

Do you have other event quests active on your list.

I know when I did it, I couldn't stockpile quests and do them all at once and had to do one event quest at a time since the map can't spawn more than one per outing.

Try finishing all the quests on your list and see if it allows the tortoise to spawn. Also I had to get out on foot to get the thing to pop up.

32 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Do you have other event quests active on your list.

I know when I did it, I couldn't stockpile quests and do them all at once and had to do one event quest at a time since the map can't spawn more than one per outing.

Try finishing all the quests on your list and see if it allows the tortoise to spawn. Also I had to get out on foot to get the thing to pop up.

The only one that was active was the tortoise. I had other e-mails, but nothing active otherwise. And when did you start walking there? I tried pretty close and it didn't work.

Edited by MidnightDragon

9 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

The only one that was active was the tortoise. I had other e-mails, but nothing active otherwise. And I tried on foot and it didn't work, either. 

Sometimes it may look like it's the only one active but the game spawns stuff if the emails are still in your inn box. The Quest list menu where you hit pause may also be an indicator of something stopping you from having that mission activate. There might be a quest that you forgot to turn in or another unlisted Big Game event in one of the areas has spawned and that's why the tortoise isn't showing up.

Check the big game events that are not spawned by email. You're probably got one of those active in either the same area or another area.

I know this happened to me with getting the white rhino and baby to spawn, other events had to be triggered and cleared from the map before it happened.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Sometimes it may look like it's the only one active but the game spawns stuff if the emails are still in your inn box. The Quest list menu where you hit pause may also be an indicator of something stopping you from having that mission activate. There might be a quest that you forgot to turn in or another unlisted Big Game event in one of the areas has spawned and that's why the tortoise isn't showing up.

Check the big game events that are not spawned by email. You're probably got one of those active in either the same area or another area.

I'll check tomorrow when I play again. If nothing else, I'll leave it alone for now and come back to it later. Also, out of curiosity, how close did you get when you started walking there?

Edited by MidnightDragon

11 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I'll check tomorrow when I play again. If nothing else, I'll leave it alone for now and come back to it later. Also, out of curiosity, how close did you get when you started walking there?

I remember not needing to get that close because I could see the tortoise on the ground itself and then the mission started.

Have you been doing the night missions? Those count as events even though they're not big game events. Being that your last trophy was the RC critter cam for the croc, I'm guessing the lion prints mission may be up.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I remember not needing to get that close because I could see the tortoise on the ground itself and then the mission started.

Have you been doing the night missions? Those count as events even though they're not big game events. Being that your last trophy was the RC critter cam for the croc, I'm guessing the lion mission may be up.

No, my last trophy was the big game hunt where the croc hunted the wildebeest. I've done all the available missions numerically before the leopard tortoise (my last one before it was 69 and 71). So I'll do some more missions and see if it triggers. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your help so far. :) 

Edited by MidnightDragon

3 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

No, my last trophy was the big game hunt where the croc hunted the wildebeest. I've done all the available missions before the leopard tortoise (my last one before it was 69 and 71. So I'll do some more missions and see if it triggers. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your help so far. :) 

I'd either try finding mysterious footprints or taking the picture with the Masai warrior. Because IIRC the footprints did cause stuff to spawn for me that I was missing after it was completed.

Pelican cry might be another one worth trying since it requires the sound equipment. Sometimes clearing a mission that uses a special tool will free up others. 

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

Just now, Maahniac said:

I don't have any helpful tips, but man I wish we could reset trophies in games so we could get the Platinum all over again ? This was one of my favorite Platinum trophies to get, ever!

in a way, for those games which have multiple stacks, you could technically in a way do that.

1 minute ago, Pieroluc said:

in a way, for those games which have multiple stacks, you could technically in a way do that.

Yeah, but all the ones I want to do over again (Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, as well as Afrika) don't have multiple stacks :(

9 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

Yeah, but all the ones I want to do over again (Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, as well as Afrika) don't have multiple stacks :(

I guess the other option would be to be doing a no trophy playthrough.

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

Tried clearing a few missions, still no turtle. Guess I’ll keep going and keep trying from time to time. Hoping my game didn’t glitch somehow. 

@Sendai-Horatio Any other ideas besides being patient? 

Looking back at my file, you had to be by the mud part of the Kobe Sands area.

I don't think the game can glitch, but check on either the map at base camp or the in game map you can bring up to see if you're in the right place just to double check. Spawns can be finnicky due to the mission order.

Here's a video showing the correct area where you're supposed to be to trigger it

This was the one I used for reference when I did my platinum.

Personally when I had trouble with the white rhinos not showing up, I just kept clearing missions until I got no more emails. Then I went out onto the field and that set off a few event triggers.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio
  • Like 1

I don't remember having any trouble with the mission, the only thing I would add is to make sure to finish the field guide trophy before you complete the last story mission "Quest for the Nunda" as certain animals have rarer spawns or will cease spawning in post-game mode.

If you prefer a text guide, this is the one I used when I got stuck. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx65eszMYAp2cUUxTUJoMGNIVUk/edit?resourcekey=0-AqnLHe96BCjZ8T2cavSVSA

1 hour ago, Guardian_owl said:

I don't remember having any trouble with the mission, the only thing I would add is to make sure to finish the field guide trophy before you complete the last story mission "Quest for the Nunda" as certain animals have rarer spawns or will cease spawning in post-game mode.

If you prefer a text guide, this is the one I used when I got stuck. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx65eszMYAp2cUUxTUJoMGNIVUk/edit?resourcekey=0-AqnLHe96BCjZ8T2cavSVSA

Using that guide, but thanks. I read someone on PST had trouble with it showing up even after receiving the e-mail and it eventually did after they played a bunch of missions, so that'll probably be my course of action if my next idea fails. I just got the baby white rhino, zebra, and wildebeest. I know babies can be a bit hard to find, so don't have to worry about those anymore.

Edited by MidnightDragon

5 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Another update: I tried doing all my outstanding e-mails in the inbox where the only one left was the turtle. I accepted it, went to the Kobe Sands, no cutscene. I really thought that'd work. :( Well, back to the drawing board.

Try looking at the guide that was posted about missions and events that appear with no corresponding email.

Alternatively, try driving around all the zones to see if they'll trigger an event or camp out until nightfall.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

5 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Try looking at the guide that was posted about missions and events that appear with no corresponding email.

Alternatively, try driving around all the zones to see if they'll trigger an event or camp out until nightfall.

I have the e-mail. That's not the problem. The problem is the turtle doesn't show up even after I accept it and it's supposed to.

Edited by MidnightDragon

2 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

I have the e-mail. That's not the problem. The problem is the turtle doesn't show up even after I accept it and it's supposed to.

No I mean there are events in the game that have no email notification but will keep other animals from spawning on a map until the event is cleared.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

No I mean there are events in the game that have no email notification but will keep other animals from spawning on a map until the event is cleared.

Guess I’m gonna have to learn some patience. Hopefully it shows up before the endgame. Sorry for whining. Things have been going smoothly overall, so this is a bit frustrating. 

Edited by MidnightDragon