Should EA change the FIFA game to a F2P or Subscription type game?

bpmotard

Hey guys, this is just a though that crossed my mind while seeing the new FIFA 2022 trailer.

I remember a time when you could actually tell a difference between the games that were coming out. I don't want to join the hate or anything, but it feels a little the same since 2018... I think they added a career mode on 2019, and it was a great inclusion but afterwards, feels just the same game over and over but with updated teams...

So a though came to mind. Should EA just change to a F2P or subscription base game at this point? Release something like "FIFA Football" and simply keep on updating that game? Similar to what Rocket League and Fortnite, just to name a few, are doing? Or is that something that does not make sense, and I'm just spouting some non-sense? 

What do you think?

Should they? Yes

Will they? Never

As long as millions of people continue to the buy the game at full price they have no logical business reason to make the game F2P. A subscription model is slightly more realistic but still unlikely as they already have EA Play and subscription models in console games have never gone well.

EA are all about $$$ and will continue to be, so dont expect F2P anytime in the future.

It should have been made free-to-play or subscription based over a decade ago. Pay a fee every season for the squad, kit and league updates rather than a new game every year. Gameplay improvements and features could be added via patch. I feel like all sports games should work this way because all they essentially are every year are squad/roster updates with very little in the way of gameplay improvements. FIFA in particular has gone backwards through the years. For example, you were able to do so much more in career mode in FIFA 10 than you could do in the most recent FIFA games, which is a joke.

We all know it'll never happen though because that would mean that your Ultimate Team wouldn't get reset every year and EA would lose out on insane amounts of money that no subscription or fee could come close to accounting for. I don't play UT, never have. I used to buy FIFA solely for career mode and for playing with my brother every now and again. Career mode got so bad that I had enough and voted with my wallet. I used to buy it every year but I stopped with FIFA 18. Unless drastic changes happen it'll stay that way too. It sucks to be honest, because I don't have any real alternatives to get my footie fix ?

10 minutes ago, bpmotard said:

Funnily enough, I just saw this news:

https://www.ign.com/articles/efootball-pes-2022-free-to-play-renamed-release-date

So, wih PES going F2P, I'm wondering what EA's move will be ahah

Pes go F2P because they just can't beat FIFA anymore ... so they give up on this "nEw game every year" model and try something else

For FIFA, it works great for them, so why change anything for now ?

If people stop buying fifa, they will probably do the same ... but will this happen ? :hmm:

• 4 weeks later...