Is the PS5 upgrade working for anyone?

Chaos_Bladez

This is going to be an unusual post because this is an unusual situation. I see that the PS4 version was taken off the servers (I saw it go on the other day) otherwise I'd post this there. Side note: my PS4 trophies now show up as unknown trophies on this site. PS5 trophies are up though.

Anyway, I don't seem to be able to download the PS5 version. It still prompts me to buy it. I did receive a code for this game, but I am not sure if that is related as review codes always unlock both if the upgrade is free. It shows up as one PS4/5 game in the store. Something is wrong here so I doubt I am alone here.

Most games have been nice about giving the PS5 version for free if you own the PS4 version, but they're not required to do that. Sounds like this just isn't cross-buy. You should reach out to the developers or publisher and see for sure.

31 minutes ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

This is going to be an unusual post because this is an unusual situation. I see that the PS4 version was taken off the servers (I saw it go on the other day) otherwise I'd post this there. Side note: my PS4 trophies now show up as unknown trophies on this site. PS5 trophies are up though.

Anyway, I don't seem to be able to download the PS5 version. It still prompts me to buy it. I did receive a code for this game, but I am not sure if that is related as review codes always unlock both if the upgrade is free. It shows up as one PS4/5 game in the store. Something is wrong here so I doubt I am alone here.

I too got a code and it only gave me the PS5 version. Likely a mess up on their end where the keys only gave one version. Not much we can do about it I think.

24 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Most games have been nice about giving the PS5 version for free if you own the PS4 version, but they're not required to do that. Sounds like this just isn't cross-buy. You should reach out to the developers or publisher and see for sure.

The game is cross-buy but the OP may have received a single-platform only review code. I've had a few games in the past where it literally only gave me the PS4 or PS5 version, even though the retail version had a free upgrade. This is very rare though and usually comes down to an error.

If, as you say, the PS4 version was on PSN, then get removed, and now it's back (as I can see PS4 trophies on here again), then they probably pulled it due to the upgrade not working, re-launching it with the link to the PS5 version. In that case, you'll have to either tell Sony about it and see if they can fix it (I had to do that with Yakuza LaD) or ask your PR rep for a PS5 code, as the PS4 ones are possibly now linked to the non-linkable version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turniplord said:

The game is cross-buy but the OP may have received a single-platform only review code. I've had a few games in the past where it literally only gave me the PS4 or PS5 version, even though the retail version had a free upgrade. This is very rare though and usually comes down to an error.

If, as you say, the PS4 version was on PSN, then get removed, and now it's back (as I can see PS4 trophies on here again), then they probably pulled it due to the upgrade not working, re-launching it with the link to the PS5 version. In that case, you'll have to either tell Sony about it and see if they can fix it (I had to do that with Yakuza LaD) or ask your PR rep for a PS5 code, as the PS4 ones are possibly now linked to the non-linkable version.

Yeah it even gave me an error when I redeemed the code. I did reach out to PR within literal minutes of getting the code yesterday but got no repsonse.

I'll try looking again now since the trophies are back.

2 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Yes, of course. I hope I didn't sound entitled or anything because I know they aren't required to do that. But the fact that they are and I didn't get it just stuck out to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turniplord said:

I've never gotten a review copy of anything. I didn't realize it could be different than a retail code. Hopefully the issue can be resolved. 

2 hours ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

Yeah it even gave me an error when I redeemed the code. I did reach out to PR within literal minutes of getting the code yesterday but got no repsonse.

I'll try looking again now since the trophies are back.

Yes, of course. I hope I didn't sound entitled or anything because I know they aren't required to do that. But the fact that they are and I didn't get it just stuck out to me.

Oh no, you're fine. I didn't think you were entitled or anything. I just wasn't sure if you were aware how cross buy works is all. I'm sure some people may not know that not all games are cross buy. Especially those that have only had a PS4 and now PS5. Since these days it's so common that it's kind of weird when a game doesn't have cross buy. Rather than like in the PS3/PS4 and PS4/Vita days where cross buy was somewhat rare.

5 hours ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

Have you tried to initiate the PS5 game download via library[dot]playstation[dot]com on the webstore?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Have you tried to initiate the PS5 game download via library[dot]playstation[dot]com on the webstore?

I did, yes. Sadly, none of it worked.

Thankfully, PR got back to me with a PS5 code. Sony can sometimes play hardball with some developers and they get PlayStation console codes later than normal or later than the other systems. It's not a regular occurrence but it can happen and it seems like now was one of those times. PC codes for this specific game were available weeks ago, but that happens often anyway since PC codes are likely easier to generate.

17 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I've never gotten a review copy of anything. I didn't realize it could be different than a retail code. Hopefully the issue can be resolved. 

Oh no, you're fine. I didn't think you were entitled or anything. I just wasn't sure if you were aware how cross buy works is all. I'm sure some people may not know that not all games are cross buy. Especially those that have only had a PS4 and now PS5. Since these days it's so common that it's kind of weird when a game doesn't have cross buy. Rather than like in the PS3/PS4 and PS4/Vita days where cross buy was somewhat rare.

Yeah, good analogy. I wish this stuff was generally better across the board. Xbox's Smart Delivery truly does seem smart in comparison.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, FocusDR said:

Can I autopop from ps5 to ps4? Don’t want to play this again, didn’t enjoy it to be honest. Usually like games like this 

Generally, it is PS4 to PS5 autopop

...but you can always try the other way around.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2022 at 7:56 PM, zizimonster said:

Generally, it is PS4 to PS5 autopop

...but you can always try the other way around.

If I download it, in my brain that’s dedicating myself to getting the platinum again. As it’s easy.. *sigh* I guess I’ll give it a go but likely be playing it again. 

• Like 1