PS5 refresh incoming/available

DaivRules

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/new-ps5-model-available-now-but-it-wont-fix-the-restock-disaster

the new PS5 model went on on sale in Australia last week, not that you'd be able to easily tell. The new PS5 can only be clearly identified by its model number (CFI-1102A), as aside from that its packaging is pretty much identical to that the console launched with nearly a year ago. 

The new PS5 model is slightly lighter than the original iteration, shaving around 300g off the console's weight.

This new PS5 model doesn’t alter the console’s internal components so it will still be constrained by the same shortages that have been affecting production for months.

Nearly 2 full weeks ago as of writing I managed to pre-order a PS5 during Thursday Night Shopping, after lining up at a fairly busy EB Games retailer (that’s GameStop in Australia, BTW) where I was that night. 

Seeing as my country is the first to see these changes coming to action, between now and when I pick my console up, hopefully my order will be one of these lighter models. Especially with the second major (yet small) change involves replacing some screw that requires an appropriate screwdriver/coin or fingernail for one with just a round tightening grip. I believe this makes rotating your console easier if I’m correct?

Right now I’m debating on whether I’d like the console standing up vertically or laying horizontally. I prefer both my D1/Vanilla PS4 and Slim PS3 placed horizontally because inserting/ejecting physical games, DVD’s etc. just looks and feels better this way, however in my eyes I see the PS5’s appearance/design looking to be more be in favour of vertical vs. horizontal display, you know - like a home internet router…

On 8/25/2021 at 9:28 AM, PMV said:

Nearly 2 full weeks ago as of writing I managed to pre-order a PS5 during Thursday Night Shopping, after lining up at a fairly busy EB Games retailer (that’s GameStop in Australia, BTW) where I was that night. 

Seeing as my country is the first to see these changes coming to action, between now and when I pick my console up, hopefully my order will be one of these lighter models. Especially with the second major (yet small) change involves replacing some screw that requires an appropriate screwdriver/coin or fingernail for one with just a round tightening grip. I believe this makes rotating your console easier if I’m correct?

Right now I’m debating on whether I’d like the console standing up vertically or laying horizontally. I prefer both my D1/Vanilla PS4 and Slim PS3 placed horizontally because inserting/ejecting physical games, DVD’s etc. just looks and feels better this way, however in my eyes I see the PS5’s appearance/design looking to be more be in favour of vertical vs. horizontal display, you know - like a home internet router…

Honestly the weight difference is hardly noticeable especially if you don't move it around often and as far as putting the stand on, it's not that big of a deal either. Personally I don't even use the stand, I just let it lay down on its wobbly side which doesn't wobble around while playing. Although I leave my PS5 upside right unlike the head of PlayStation Hermen Hulst.

we need to wait for a full teardown comparison of model 1000 vs 1100 for both disc and digital to know if internal components have been modified, the digital 1100 edition is 300g lighter than the digital 1000 edition so something was definitely changed inside

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Honestly the weight difference is hardly noticeable especially if you don't move it around often and as far as putting the stand on, it's not that big of a deal either. Personally I don't even use the stand, I just let it lay down on its wobbly side which doesn't wobble around while playing. Although I leave my PS5 upside right unlike the head of PlayStation Hermen Hulst.

Ah ok, I can see there's no real demand for the stand based the image with your PS5 console/accessory collection visible from your signature (I missed that because I spend the majority of my time browsing PSNP on my iPhone 11 set to portrait/default rotation, the rest is on my home desktop or my laptop). Should I have seen this before I wouldn't have replied to the topic asking but thanks anyway, I guess haha.

45 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Guy imported the new PS5 and tore it down to compare it to the old one. (TL;DR - It does weigh lighter but it runs hotter and they swapped it out for more cost effective parts which makes it a cheaper product.)

I don't recall having major problems with heat in any of my Sony consoles. Yes, there were many instances of when the fan would kick in loudly but that is what fans are supposed to do. I am not the sort of person that views fan noise as a bug or design flaw.

The new model running hotter is again something one would expect given the materials. The correct question isn't "Is it hotter?" , it is "Does the new model work as well as the old model under stress?" If there's no notable performance hits then again, it is working as intended and just plain working. I've never took the temp of any of my consoles and said XYZ temperature is beyond the operational norm. Of course, that isn't what this video doing either. they are downplaying functionality and hyping up the differences even then the differences have no impact on gaming. 

• Like 1

Refresh? Already? Shit, my PS5 is fresh enough for me right now and the foreseeable future. If it will allow more to be in production and on store shelves to meet the demand and more environmental conscience I'm all for that, but my fat-boy, heavy-laden launch PS5 is just fine by me for now. I'm sure there are logical reasons for a refresh in Sony's eyes. Maybe later for me.

4 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

I don't recall having major problems with heat in any of my Sony consoles.

Should I introduce you to my old Xbox 360's and Phat PS3 that don't work anymore?

Heat will effect your console OVER TIME. This is true for all technology. My launch PS4 has longer load times now.

Not to mention no one knows what will happen when consumers put SSDs in like they said in the video.

8 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Guy imported the new PS5 and tore it down to compare it to the old one. (TL;DR - It does weigh lighter but it runs hotter and they swapped it out for more cost effective parts which makes it a cheaper product.)

I'm hearing different answers about this. The new model is running quieter but exhaling higher heat. Some people say that's a good thing (more heat is coming out), others are saying that's a bad thing when future AAAs really start to dig into the hardware which will whack the inferior cooling chamber which has less copper.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Should I introduce you to my old Xbox 360's and Phat PS3 that don't work anymore?

Heat will effect your console OVER TIME. This is true for all technology. My launch PS4 has longer load times now.

Not to mention no one knows what will happen when consumers put SSDs in like they said in the video.

I have had plenty of issues with my ps4 over time, all of which I broke down and repaired it on my own.

Back during God of War, the plastic axel on my fan was legit melting away, of where I had to place the console upside down and continuously spin it on my own to keep the system on and running, which a lot of times it would seize up still (When it stops spinning the censor will turn the ps4 off to protect it). Shortly after I did end up replacing the fan which requires every single screw to be removed to get at. Which was disgusting... At the same time I replaced the broken disc-drive and replaced the thermal paste compound with a cheap brand I found locally.

For awhile the ps4 ran very nicely, but over time, the fan started sounding like I was working as an air traffic control director. I eventually started getting heating errors, I kept trucking through it, being very reluctant in wanting to fix my issue, but I knew damn well the cheap thermal compound was my issue. (It did not heal correctly) I went through Sekiro with my ps4 turning off all the time, sometimes mid boss fight, and my disc-drive again gave out which I assume was the heat damaging the laser. (There is burns inside my case on the metal, and the plastic clear plate started warping all over the place)

I got a ps5, and I wanted to fix the ps4 for the fiancee, so I opened it up and replaced the thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5, which I do not even hear the console make a peep now, it really shows how good high grade compound is. But removed the disc drive and kept the disc-drive board hooked up so I can still recieve updates (if you remove this, and it updates and is missing, the update will not complete at you get hit with an error, you also have to swap this board with any new disc drive as well, as it is directly programmed to the board itself).

So needless to say, in conclusion, thermal paste, the higher the quality the better the outcome, there is not much else to say about it here besides it quite possible their using a lower grade liquid metal thermal paste in the new model as well possibly. I have since done many thermal paste replacements in Ps4 Pros and have turned them into harmonic humming machines instead of aircrafts... (My ps5 is silent as hell and its quite shocking at how much I can hear going on around me now paired to before with insane fan noise)

Edited by Gecko-Byte
  • Like 1