Need tips for Mafia: Definitive Edition race mission on classic difficulty setting.

BrettyBoy

This is the hardest part of the platinum for sure but it is not impossible. I thought it was going to take me hours but I actually completed it after about 90 minutes of trying.

The first thing that I would recommend is finding a youtube video of somebody that has completed it on the classic difficulty setting, and then getting in to the flow of mimicking their actions as best as possible. If you don't end up in first place within the first 45-60 seconds of the race you are usually better off restarting.

My other tip that helped me succeed is to use the vehicle ramming button (I believe it was X) in order to drift yourself as well as course correct yourself if you find that you took a turn too hard. Try taking a corner and then pressing the button a couple times and you will see what I mean. Because of the way the input works it will almost allow you to unnaturally move yourself back on to track and in position saving yourself from any wipeouts.

Good luck, once you get a rhythm going you will see that it is definitely achievable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, L337Saucee said:

This is the hardest part of the platinum for sure but it is not impossible. I thought it was going to take me hours but I actually completed it after about 90 minutes of trying.

The first thing that I would recommend is finding a youtube video of somebody that has completed it on the classic difficulty setting, and then getting in to the flow of mimicking their actions as best as possible. If you don't end up in first place within the first 45-60 seconds of the race you are usually better off restarting.

My other tip that helped me succeed is to use the vehicle ramming button (I believe it was X) in order to drift yourself as well as course correct yourself if you find that you took a turn too hard. Try taking a corner and then pressing the button a couple times and you will see what I mean. Because of the way the input works it will almost allow you to unnaturally move yourself back on to track and in position saving yourself from any wipeouts.

Good luck, once you get a rhythm going you will see that it is definitely achievable.

Thanks, man.

21 minutes ago, Lonemankane said:

I need good tips too as the guide on here is not very useful on how to make it at all abit easier to do.

I’m gonna guess that the race on classic difficulty setting is what makes the platinum difficult.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, h0mer01ds said:

How can a game with a Plat at nearly 30% completion also have a reasonably high difficulty rating of 6? Just curious. I have not started the game as yet.

Because it is a 3rd person shooter, with an single, unusually difficult race mission thrown in.

Honestly, the game is more like a 4/10 for the shooter aspect, and a 4/10 as a racing game. But if you don't typically play racers, having that one mission thrown in there is a significant hurdle.

I recently completed it, and there really isn't anything overly difficult. I didn't struggle too much with the race, needed maybe an hour to clear it, and actually found the driving mission prior to it to be more annoying (where you have to drive an intentionally sabotaged vehicle across the city on a tight timer - it was quite irritating). But I also have played a number of racing games. Certainly there is nothing in here that would be any more difficult than a game like DriveClub.

For a lot of people that enjoy shooters, they may never touch a racing game. For them, the difficult spike of the race is likely a platinum blocker.

Hence you get a moderately difficult game because you have 2 dissimilar genres, both of which are around average difficulty, but which would be a definite struggle for anyone who just doesn't routinely play racing games. If you are comfortable with both, this is a pretty straightforward game. So you end up with a high relative platinum rarity, despite having a number of people who just can't get the platinum.

Edited by diskdocx

16 hours ago, h0mer01ds said:

How can a game with a Plat at nearly 30% completion also have a reasonably high difficulty rating of 6? Just curious. I have not started the game as yet.

For me Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered was like that. When I played it plat was near 30%, and that Student Surpasses Master is one of the hardest trophies I did to this day. I guess people persevere when it's one trophy, one task in a way of plat. I noticed games that require more time/grind often have really low completion, even though there's nothing hard about them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FeindlicheKrabbe said:

been a while since i played this game but i remember driving on the grass in corners helped me. good luck with this 

Thanks, man but I got the platinum done and dusted last year. ☑️

16 hours ago, h0mer01ds said:

The race mission is what makes this platinum difficult since you need to beat the game on classic mode and the race mission is already difficult.

Edited by BrettyBoy

• 4 months later...

Just finished the race on classic difficulty. All in all I think it took me about 2 hours, spread over 3 days. 

YouTube videos really helped me to get an idea of how to go about it, particularly a YouTube video by a guy called 'overhyped gamer'. Very insightful.

Here's what worked for me. Get through the first corner without crashing or spinning out. Sounds obvious but man... There's so much that can go wrong in that corner. If you're in 11th or 12th position by the end of that corner, that's good enough.

Cut through the grass on the next two corners and with a little luck you'll be in 3rd or 4th place by the time the first AI opponent crashes. From there on you should be in the top 3. Now here's the thing: don't push it. Slow down for the chicane, go easy on the corners. Just focus on keeping the damned car from spinning out or crashing. What I mean is... You don't HAVE to go all out with max speed through those corners to win. Instead... minimize the risk of crashing and try to maintain 3rd place. AI opponent will crash in the chicane on the 2nd lap, putting you in 2nd place.

And the leader will crash in lap 3.

I made this race harder than it needed to be by taking too many risks once I was in the top 3. Good luck everyone. Hang in there. 

Edited by dJordman
Typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, dJordman said:

Just finished the race on classic difficulty. All in all I think it took me about 2 hours, spread over 3 days. 

YouTube videos really helped me to get an idea of how to go about it, particularly a YouTube video by a guy called 'overhyped gamer'. Very insightful.

Here's what worked for me. Get through the first corner without crashing or spinning out. Sounds obvious but man... There's so much that can go wrong in that corner. If you're in 11th or 12th position by the end of that corner, that's good enough.

Cut through the grass on the next two corners and with a little luck you'll be in 3rd or 4th place by the time the first AI opponent crashes. From there on you should be in the top 3. Now here's the thing: don't push it. Slow down for the chicane, go easy on the corners. Just focus on keeping the damned car from spinning out or crashing. What I mean is... You don't HAVE to go all out with max speed through those corners to win. Instead... minimize the risk of crashing and try to maintain 3rd place. AI opponent will crash in the chicane on the 2nd lap, putting you in 2nd place.

And the leader will crash in lap 3.

I made this race harder than it needed to be by taking too many risks once I was in the top 3. Good luck everyone. Hang in there. 

I obtained the platinum almost a year ago now but thanks, man. ✅

Edited by BrettyBoy