Screw this game. Screw Duriel in particular and screw you too Blizzard.

Ash-kyun

That blows dude, I don’t blame you for needing to vent. Getting robbed of all that time and hard work over some bs like that.. damn. ☹️

I just ran a quick Google search out of curiosity and saw that this has happened to loads of people at Duriel specifically. It is unacceptable that there is not some kind of immunity mechanic in place to protect players from this kind of situation, especially when it seems to be a very common occurrence. It might be worth trying to report that issue or post on the Blizzard forums or something to help bring attention to it idk.

I also came across this thread here which was warning people of loading screen death traps at certain spots. Figured I would share in case that would be a helpful resource for you in the future. 

• Like 2

I agree wholeheartedly.  My buddy was playing a hardcore character, and lost him to Duriel in a loading screen (luckily he was still on normal).  I have noticed that the PS4 loading times are atrocious, and between him and Mrs Bee, there have been several deaths entering rooms or portals (especially on the higher difficulties).  

1 hour ago, mistersinister4 said:

I am absolutely livid right now. It's bad enough to put a damn boss in such a confined area, it's another to have him have an aura that slows you down. But it is outright UNFORGIVABLE to be killed by him during LOADING SCREENS. Like what the actual F is this BS? Imagine you're playing hardcore and you die whilst in a loading screen. How is that ok? Seriously, Blizzard this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. I had decent gear that I worked hard to get and now it's going to be lost because I get insta-killed not even as soon as I'm out of the loading screen.

My experience and whatever enjoyment I was having with the game has now been ruined. F*ck you Blizzard.

As for your gear, if you quit the game and load a new one, your body will be at your feet.  You shouldn't lose anything (other than the money you were carrying).  So there is at least some consolation.

EDIT: As for some advice fighting that boss, he is susceptible to being slowed or frozen, so if you can find a way (either through merc or gear) to freeze him, it should help.  Also, a merc that could survive a few hits may help you get into the room safely.  I am not suggesting that this isn't still a problem, but could help you get past it.

Also, if you want some help at some point, you could always add me.  I would be happy to help you get past any tough spot I can, currently have a summon necro and a blizzard sorceress on hell.

Edited by Sir_Bee
Added info

13 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

As for your gear, if you quit the game and load a new one, your body will be at your feet.  You shouldn't lose anything (other than the money you were carrying).  So there is at least some consolation.

EDIT: As for some advice fighting that boss, he is susceptible to being slowed or frozen, so if you can find a way (either through merc or gear) to freeze him, it should help.  Also, a merc that could survive a few hits may help you get into the room safely.  I am not suggesting that this isn't still a problem, but could help you get past it.

Yeah, I realised your corpses spawn in at your feet if you quit and load back in a bit too late. After I had painstakingly retrieved them one by one by positioning portals on the opposite end of the room did I then realize that fact when I quited out and did something else and logged back in to find my decoy corpses back at the camp. That was annoying and really thought I was going to lose the gear. Sadly I was carrying quite a hefty amount of gold (which was my fault for not depositing) so that's the consolation at least.

Any recommendations for what gear I should have on the merc and which one would be ideal to use? I tried using them a couple times but they too were pretty much insta-killed, but that was because I didn't give them good gear. I'm experimenting with a ranged Amazon because I'm sure a melee based one would be out of the question.

16 hours ago, mistersinister4 said:

I am absolutely livid right now. It's bad enough to put a damn boss in such a confined area, it's another to have him have an aura that slows you down. But it is outright UNFORGIVABLE to be killed by him during LOADING SCREENS. Like what the actual F is this BS? Imagine you're playing hardcore and you die whilst in a loading screen. How is that ok? Seriously, Blizzard this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. I had decent gear that I worked hard to get and now it's going to be lost because I get insta-killed not even as soon as I'm out of the loading screen.

My experience and whatever enjoyment I was having with the game has now been ruined. F*ck you Blizzard.

I feel your pain. I'm not running a HC character (yet), but I still quit the game for the last 2 or so weeks after a similar instance in the claw viper temple. My sorceress is decently geared for hell with a pretty good merc, but I loaded in there and died before the screen came up. That's not fun, fair or acceptable. I may go back with some friends to clear and keep going, but that really put me off the game.

7 hours ago, mistersinister4 said:

Yeah, I realised your corpses spawn in at your feet if you quit and load back in a bit too late. After I had painstakingly retrieved them one by one by positioning portals on the opposite end of the room did I then realize that fact when I quited out and did something else and logged back in to find my decoy corpses back at the camp. That was annoying and really thought I was going to lose the gear. Sadly I was carrying quite a hefty amount of gold (which was my fault for not depositing) so that's the consolation at least.

Any recommendations for what gear I should have on the merc and which one would be ideal to use? I tried using them a couple times but they too were pretty much insta-killed, but that was because I didn't give them good gear. I'm experimenting with a ranged Amazon because I'm sure a melee based one would be out of the question.

I assume you are playing on Normal?  If so, honestly the merc is only there to get you in the door/portal.  If your merc can live even 2 or 3 hits, that should hopefully give you enough time to get in, plant another portal, and start kiting the boss.  If you have anything that prevents you from being frozen, you should be wearing that.  You merc could have any gear that slows on hit or on being hit, would give you a second or two extra to get ready.  That is a fight that unless you are end game ready, or way over-leveled, I have always expected my merc to die.  As for which merc, one of the act two polearm mercs would probably be able to survive just a little bit longer to give you time to get set up.

On 12.11.2021 at 6:52 AM, mistersinister4 said:

Duriel kills your merc first in the loading screen, then your character.

General advices:

- Look at the list of area level ranges (https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level). Duriel should be around level 17 on normal (Tal Rasha's Chamber) so your character and merc should be leveld higher than 17.

- You get good exp from enemies as long as you are only 5 levels ahead of them. So being 5 levels ahead of area monsters (Duriel 17, character and merc 22) should be working [General information about experience here: https://d2.maxroll.gg/resources/experience].

- At least on your character you should look for an item which grants you the stat "Cannot be frozen". This way your character can't be slowed due to cold auras.

- Having items with life leech equipped helps your mercenary. But be aware that life leech only works with characters and mercs not using magic skills. Every melee character and merc (Also bow or crossbow users) attacking with weapons instead of magic can use life leech on items.

- Only gold from your personal stash in the treasure chest and from your character is lost on death. So: To avoid loosing gold on death, just put your gold into one of the three shared stashes. This way you will not loose any gold on character death. When you need gold to revive your merc and such, put it on your character, spend money, put it back in the shared stash.

Edited by Geridian
Info

Additional advice for anyone having this problem:
Down a bunch of thawing potions before entering the door.
Thawing potions don't only cure the chilled status, they grand a huge boost to cold resistance, which will cleave some amount of Duriel's damage. By drinking many thawing potions, your resistance won't stack, but the duration of your resistance will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadborne said:

*snip*

Same works with Anti Poison potions and Andariel.

+++++++

Also remember that you can make your merc drink potions placed in your characters belt: Hold L2 down and press the button you would press when your character should drink a potion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I spent 50 minutes a few days ago trying to beat Duriel with my Assassin. I got him below 25% health just from entering the room, landing maybe 1 hit and dying, but then when I returned for like the idk how many times, his health bar reset to full!! At this point I am trying to over level myself as best I can and put all points into health. Maybe the shadow clone ability will help too.

But seriously, FUCK this boss fight. In all my time playing Diablo 3, I never would have thought I would get so frustrated and angry over Diablo 2. It is definitely harder than D3, which does not bother me, but at least D3 never had this terrible of a level design. Maybe Belial's boss fight? But with his area AT LEAST YOU CAN FUCKING DODGE EVERYTHING HE DOES!

Once I get around to playing the Paladin, he is definitely who I will be using for my Hardcore playthrough. I hope when D4 comes around they nerf Duriel into the FUCKING GROUND.

lol I do see now why he is the lord of pain LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL