Damon8r351's Trophy Hunting Checklist

damon8r351

Any adivce for platinuming FFXIII and FFXIII-2? I really wanna attempt getting those plats during the summer? I'm guessing it will be a grind :/

Get a good game guide. Final fantasy XIII has you collecting every single weapon and accessory in the game, while XIII-2 has you adding every single monster in the game to your bestiary. I bought the collector's edition game guide for both games, but I know not everyone likes spending money on guides, so Google would be your best friend.

Get a good game guide. Final fantasy XIII has you collecting every single weapon and accessory in the game, while XIII-2 has you adding every single monster in the game to your bestiary. I bought the collector's edition game guide for both games, but I know not everyone likes spending money on guides, so Google would be your best friend.

Alright thanks! :) Playstation.org might be the best place for me to look. I'm guessing patience will be key, I have yet to platinum a RPG but I did really enjoy FFXIII even though it got a lot of hate, it will also give me a reason to finish FFXIII-2 (Got distracted by other games and school) and I might eventually pick up Lighting Returns.

• Like 1

Alright thanks! :) Playstation.org might be the best place for me to look. I'm guessing patience will be key, I have yet to platinum a RPG but I did really enjoy FFXIII even though it got a lot of hate, it will also give me a reason to finish FFXIII-2 (Got distracted by other games and school) and I might eventually pick up Lighting Returns.

Lightning Returns didn't get very good professional reviews, but every actual gamer that I've talked to who has played it has enjoyed it.

We play very similar games.  Everything you listed up until the PS3 era are games I owned and beat dozens of times.  Especially Earthbound and FFVI.

Anyway, about Lightning Returns:  from XIII to XIII-2 to LRXIII, the platinum difficulty and grind work is reduced for each game.  It only took about 42 hours.  XIII took me almost 100 and XIII-2 took about 60.  Lightning Returns is a great game.  The clock is not as burdensome as some people have made it out to be.  Not to mention Lightning's new schema setup creates a "team" any player can appreciate.

I also highly recommend Ni No Kuni and Persona 4 Golden, if you haven't played them.  Both are awesome games.

dojaeme.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been awhile since I've updated this, so let me add my activity since the beginning of the year.

Platinum #27 & #28: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3 & PS4, 26 January 2014 & 11 February 2014)

1L7fe90f.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

I really enjoyed playing this game, but this was about the worst Assassin's Creed game I've played. Let me explain: The naval free roam portion of the game was very entertaining, boarding ships, wasting forts, plundering plantations and smuggling dens. To me, some of the sea battles in this game weren't as compelling as the ones in AC3, but this is one of the only games out there that puts you in command of your own sailing vessel and for that fact I really enjoyed the game. However, the Assassin plot was just shoehorned in. A good AC game gives a list of bad guys that need killing and gives you the opportunity to be a blade in the crowd to accomplish those ends. Here, more often than not things devolve to a pitched all-out battle. Often stealth is just another option to mission completion, where in other games no stealth resulted in mission failure. A good AC game strikes a good balance between the main story and side activities, in this game the main story is something you might get around to when you're not busy sinking ships for cash. Which brings me to another issue: the main story is about Edward's personal quest for money and glory. Indeed, the Templars (a group of absolute nobodies this time in contrast to the well-known historical figures in past games) are only enemies because they're rivals and roadblocks in Edward's quest, not because they are threats to freedom like in past games. It's only very late in the game that Edward becomes a true Assassin. The frame story in the present starts out with some pretty interesting developments, then does absolutely nothing with it. It mumbles and trails off, leaving you standing in Abstergo Entertainment's headquarters with absolutely no resolution. I'd put this game at the bottom of the list there with Liberation and Revelations. However, because the piracy part of the game was so entertaining, it gets a higher rating from me than it probably should have. This is the easiest of all the AC games; indeed, none of the optional objectives are as heinous as some of the past games, and the only real challenge here is defeating the 4 legendary ships. This game is on my list twice for a reason. My wife wanted the collectors edition that was only for the PS3, while I preferred to play the PS4 version. So we bought the PS3 version and I paid the extra cash for the next gen software upgrade. I platted both because I usually run through the story twice when playing these games, why not make them both plat runs? Don't let this dissuade you from playing it, it's really an enjoyable game, just not a very true to concept AC game.

100% #13: Welcome Park (PS Vita, 25 February 2014)

1Lf9b2c5.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Annoyance: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 0 / 5

I've never legitimately hated a game before, but congratulations Welcome Park, you were the first.

• Like 1

Platinum #29: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PS3, 08 March 2014)

1L942ea5.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

In my top 3 of AC games. This one I felt had the right mix of story missions and secondary missions that still managed to keep with the stealth action medium. It was the only time they did the city liberation aspect correctly before it got retarded in Revelations, and the way they had you manage your guild I felt was at its best in this game. The combat system in this one was my favorite also, you could use your sword and gun or your knife and throwing knives together without even switching buttons on the controller.  The multiplayer is the worst though, it's completely dead except for boosters. I started boosting multiplayer trophies back in October and only just now got done with it here in this month.

100% #14: flOw (PS Vita, 09 March 2014)

8L639805.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

Same as the PS3 version, only smaller. Enjoyed playing it again, this time on my Vita.

100% #15: How To Survive (PS3, 17 March 2014)

12L3c544e.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

I think I got this late last year when PSN had a zombie-themed game sale. So this another zombie game, and if I were to draw a comparison to other games, I'd liken it to a cross between Dead Nation's overhead twin-stick shooter gameplay and Dead Island's melee combat and skill tree set. You get stranded on a zombie-infested island chain with a survivalist nutjob named Kovak, and it's your job to figure out how to survive and get away, using weapons improvised from junk you find, all while not starving or dying from thirst. It's a lot more fun that I would've given credit for, being a download title. I'd play it during a break between two longer games.

Platinum #30: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4, 30 March 2014)

1L532059.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

PS4 port of the original game from PS3. Nothing's really different from the original, other than the graphics being a little sharper. Anyway, I'll take any excuse to play through this game again. If you never played this on the PS3 and now own a PS4, the time to play this is now. Still highly recommended.

Platinum #31: Smart As (PS Vita, 07 April 2014)

1L5bfea2.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 2 / 5

This is a brain training game similar to Brain Age on the Nintendo DS, so if you're looking for something similar to that on the Vita, this is pretty much what you got. It's halway decent, strangely not as fun or entertaining as Brain Age though. There's a pretty fair selection of puzzles to play, but for some reason the Daily Training sessions consistently only have you play the same six, so Daily Training loses its appeal after about 3 weeks. The Street Smart challenges feature more games with varying difficulty levels for more entertainment, but these only refresh once a week in your location, so they quickly become boring. Free Play is where most of the entertainment is, and the higher difficulty levels will offer you a stern test if you're going for the platinum. Fortunately, the game eventually bumps you up to the next difficulty level if you play the game on 5 different dates and fail to pass. The platinum for this is not quick to achieve, you'll only really play this a short while every day in conjunction with playing something else. I'd only recommend it if you're into this sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Started Borderlands just enough so I can get "And They'll Tell Two Friends" in case the servers shut down permanently on May 31st. Little disappointed because I was on track to have 100% trophy completion across my profile for the first time when I finished Soul Sacrifice, now I got Borderlands sitting in my backlog. Oh well.

Started Borderlands just enough so I can get "And They'll Tell Two Friends" in case the servers shut down permanently on May 31st. Little disappointed because I was on track to have 100% trophy completion across my profile for the first time when I finished Soul Sacrifice, now I got Borderlands sitting in my backlog. Oh well.

Nice. I'm annoyed about this server shutdown situation. I want confirmation for mk vs dc universe going down, but no one has a straight answer. I'm just gonna have to get it back and knock out the mp trophies.

This is where I got the "BOOM HEADSHOT!!!" above my profile pic from:

I'd forgotten about this until someone showed to me again. My favorite part:

"Wanna go for a jog, man?"

"Okay, but what are you doing with the knife?"

"What do you mean? I run faster with a knife. Everyone runs faster with a knife! ...Pssh!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Platinum #32: Soul Sacrifice (PS Vita, 11 May 2014)

1L3aa4b5.png

Difficulty: 5 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

Had a lot of fun with this JRPG on the Vita, and a lot of tears. You play as a nameless prisoner reliving the memories of a dead sorceror through reading a book, your intent is to learn enough magic by reading in order to make your escape and confront Magusar, the sorceror villain of the game. I'm told this game is a lot like a combination of Monster Hunter and Dark Souls, but I've never played Monster Hunter so I don't know. What it does remind me of is Dissidia, in that you face bosses in small enclosed battle arena maps, using an action RPG style of battle. The setting remind me of Dark Souls though, or better yet a Michael Moorcock novel. The world is a decaying wasteland full of twisted monsters, the tone of the game is of despair and hardship in the face of widespread evil. The main story is of confused identity and a fall into megalomania. I got a good strong challenge out of this game. The beginning tutorial gives you an absolute barebones of the mechanics game, then expects you to figure things out from there. This can be a little daunting at first when a new playing gets absolutely creamed by the first few boss fights. Then once you start feeling like you got a handle on things, the game starts throwing two bosses in a fight at the same time. And this is what the entire game is about: a long string of different fights against powerful bosses using an ever growing arsenal of magic spells and whatever allies you collect along the way. There is no free roam of any sort, fights are separated between narrated text taken from the book your character is reading. Fortunately, the story is pretty engrossing. Like Dark Souls, the bosses hit big and hit hard, and can actually be pretty unfair until you learn the trick to defeating that particular boss. The main storyline is pretty moderate, where the difficulty really amps up is in the side quests in the section of the book known as Inside Avalon, especially the quests added by the free DLC. The game can be pretty grindy, you can replay any boss fight at any time and you'll find yourself doing that quite a bit to earn better scores to get better spells, or to earn more copies of those spells to combine into more powerful ones. I spent about 100 hours on this one. The game is not for everyone, if you like Dark Souls and have a Vita, you might enjoy it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here I was worried that my 2nd playthrough of Borderlands wasn't going to be a challenge starting out, when what I should've been worried about was replacing what I thought was all the badass weaponry I brought over from my first playthrough, but is rapidly becoming obsolete. 

• 1 month later...

Platinum #33: Borderlands (PS3, 04 June 2014)
1L0e571e.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

A nice blend of first person shooter gameplay with a loot-driven RPG. I'm not a big fan of FPS's, but I could get onboard with the genre if they were more like this all the time. I played as Lilith the entire time, and she was an absolute beast by the time I was finished with this. I had a lot of fun with this game, and there were a lot of dialogue that had me cracking up, mostly involving Scooter and Moxxi. I'm looking forward to playing Borderlands 2, just not right this second. I've got a lot of games in my hard drive to clear out first.

Also, completing this game made it so my profile had 100% completion across the board for the first time since I created this profile almost 4 years ago, so that's nice to have while it lasts. :T

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1