Damon8r351's Trophy Hunting Checklist

damon8r351

BTWWWWW... just noticed now... in your short term goals it said you'll planning to get the MP trophies for Soul Sacrifice... I'm not sure if you're aware but you can get them just playing alone...

You can get this trophy solo. When you unlock multiplayer, go into the multiplayer menu and choose ad hoc. Now choose an Avalon pact and start the match. The game considers you playing "online" with a local partner, even though there isn't one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

lol @ Sound Shapes having 5/5 difficulty.

I didn't find it hard at all. Some levels were just cheap and you needed to be lucky with where the discs showed up.

There are four levels or so where that isn't enough. You still heve to move and jump right and be quick. When you have the misfortune you die when the game was helping you placing the notes nicely you still have to start over.

• Like 1

^ butthurt?

There were two or three really tough levels, but you respawn as soon as you die.

Definitely not a 5/5 in difficulty in my opinion.

Not in the least, I was giving you a round of applause for your accomplishment.  :rolleyes:

That said, I'm not an official reviewer. 5 / 5 is my personal estimate of the difficulty level, and not objective at all. Obviously your mileage may vary, and really, why does my *personal* difficulty estimate concern you this much that you had to comment not once but twice about it? So you had an easier time with it, whoopty-doo, I get it, thanks for your input. Move on.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on moving the parts of my list where I kind of gave a review for each game down here into their own post, and then just add a new post whenever I finish a new game. In the interest of keeping the original post as short as possible. I double-platted Assassin's Creed IV on the PS3 and PS4 recently, I'll add those as soon as I compose my thoughts on that game. In the meantime, I've been slogging my way through Tomb Raider multiplayer on the PS4. The Winter Olympics have been keeping me away from the TV with the PS3 connected. :P

Platinum #1: Assassin's Creed II (PS3, 21 January 2012)

1Ledd3c0.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

This is the first plat I earned, but the second game I dedicated my full attention to on my new profile, and also one I played extensively on my wife's profile before my own. I got this one after a long absence from the PS3 (damn military deployments, you know?) It should go without saying that this is my favorite game series, although they need to stop with the cashing in on it.

Platinum #2: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3, 06 June 2012)

1L7dd851.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

This one I got after a long plat-less period playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise, and Final Fantasy XIII. FFXIII particularly annoyed me. 100 hours in I figured out that I screwed myself out of the Treasure Hunter trophy and by extension the plat and wasn't in the mood to start again. So I finished everything else I could and deleted the save file after 140 gameplay hours. XIII-2 I was determined to get the plat. Even though I really liked XIII, I really enjoyed the overall improvements XIII-2 made to the series, even though the storyline seemed very... I dunno, Kingdom Hearts-esque? Can't wait for the sequel, Lightning Returns.

100% #1: Journey (PS3, 10 June 2012)

14L1faa62.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

I was actually following the development of this and waiting for it to come out after being tipped off by my wife about it considering how much she enjoyed the game Flower, from the same game company. There are no words to describe this game, except maybe... art? Everything you've heard about it is true. Play it, you wont be disappointed. I played it as a short palate cleanser after spending nearly three cumulative months on FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

100% #2: Flower (PS3, 16 June 2012)

1L0a5bf8.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

Another game I fiddled with on my wife's profile, and one of the first three I brought over to my new profile. I earned a couple trophies with this back in 2010, got bored with it (which is to say it lost my attention to Red Dead Redemption), then picked it up again after I enjoyed Journey so much. It's a very soothing game, I recommend playing it when you're pissed off at the world.

Platinum #3: Lollipop Chainsaw (PS3, 08 July 2012)

1L702cfa.png

Difficulty: 4 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

I got this game purely based on how much I enjoyed SUDA51's work on No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise, and had a blast with it. It's a hack and slasher in the manner of Devil May Cry, and you play as a cheerleader killing zombies with a bedazzled chainsaw. It's funny, over-the-top, and one of the first trophies you get from it is from looking under the main character's skirt. It's not innovative in the least, but it's like fast food for your video gaming soul. If anything, it's worth a try purely for the sheer WTF factor of it.

Platinum #4: Heavy Rain (PS3, 30 July 2012)

1L9d68f7.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

I bought this game to help justify the expensive of getting a Playstation Move, and also based on its reputation of being quite unlike anything else you've ever played. The only thing I can compare it to is like being in control of your own action packed murder thriller movie. I'd throw it on the list of games you must play before you die without hesitation. If you're good at Quick Timing Events, you'll need it for this game because that's practically the entire basis of its gameplay. I used the Move controller for it, it's more fun that way.

Platinum #5: L.A. Noire (PS3, 29 August 2012)

1Ld59249.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

This is one my wife had been following the development of hardcore, and then singing the praises of to me while I was on deployment. Seeing as I've always enjoyed anything Rockstar put out, I gave it a try. It's like Grand Theft Auto, but it's in the 1940s, and now you're the cops. Also, there's less emphasis on gunplay and more on investigating crime scenes. Not to say that it doesn't have its fair share of action though. I really enjoyed it and wish they made a sequel. Or at least made more DLC adding more cases, either way. Too bad the development team that made it went under.

Platinum #6: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS3, 08 September 2012)

1L0f161b.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

I've always wanted to play this trilogy when it first came out but never had any interest in getting a PS2 or digging through a used games store for them. So when I heard there was an HD collection for the PS3 with trophy support, I snapped it up. If you liked the Assassin Tombs sequences in Assassin's Creed II, you like this game because Assassin's Creed was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Prince of Persia. Real easy once you get the hang of it, and very rewarding: there's not a single trophy in this game that's not a silver or higher.

Platinum #7: Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within (PS3, 03 October 2012)

1Lea972e.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

They tried to give the Prince a gritty makeover in this game which I thought was kind of humorous. The soundtrack kind of annoyed me because I don't like Godsmack, but I enjoyed how complex and varied they made the combat system, and climbing on walls is always fun. This one is most difficult out of the three and also the longest.

Platinum #8: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (PS3, 11 November 2012)

1Le4182e.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

Of course, how could I not do this one after doing the other two? After seeing how silly the Prince was with his gritty makeover, it seemed to me like they tried to split the difference between his wise-cracking swashbuckler personality from the first game and the gritty, surly action star of the second game. What was most interesting about this game was how elements from it, like how you could silently assassinate enemies, turned into the most basic gameplay elements of Assassins Creed. Also the timed acrobatic sequences where you played as the Dark Prince were fun, if only for the Oh Shit factor.

Edited by damon8r351

Honorable Mention: Assassin's Creed (PS3, November-ish 2012, I think?)

Assassin%27s_Creed_cover.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

Yeah, I know it doesn't have trophies on the PS3, but I'm still throwing it on here. I decided to play this during my just-for-fun playthrough of all the games in the lead-up to the Assassin's Creed III release. Might as well see where the series came from right? Using the Xbox 360 achievement list, I kept track of my progress on a sheet of paper and with the game guide and if the PS3 had the same list I would've had the platinum. Oh well. Until I played ACIII, this was my favorite from the series and is still my second favorite. The missions were repetitive and simplistic compared to the later games, but there was something about the visual style that really impressed me and that they never got right for any other the later games afterwards. See the sequence where you fight Robert de Sable in front of Richard III, and then the fight with [redacted due to spoilers] at the end of the game. I always thought the visual style in those sequences was impressive. Too bad it still doesn't have trophies.

Platinum #9: Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (PS Vita, 16 January 2013)

1L0ba9ec.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

I bought a Vita during Christmas 2012. I originally wasn't interested in it, but after seeing how much my wife liked hers and especially after she told me the games for it have trophies, I was definitely now all about some Vita action. I like earning trophies but I don't like massive holes of time where I don't get them because of military deployments, so Vita time. I played it while on a month long trip away from home. It was a decent enough Assassin's Creed game, not the best, but pretty damn good for being a handheld game. What I was most grateful about it was that it got me used to the massive change in the fighting system from the previous games in the series, and made me more successful at it when I finally got around to Assassin's Creed III. I really liked the main character and wished she got a better quality release to showcase her better. What I found most interesting about the game was the effective use of disguises, and I'd like to see that mechanic used in later games. The multiplayer part of it is mind-numbingly stupid. Really only recommend this game if you're a huge fan of the series.

Platinum #10: Gravity Rush (PS Vita, 30 January 2013)

1L26fdf9.png

Difficulty: 4 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

This is the other game I played on my Vita during my monthlong trip at the beginning of the year. At one point this kinda-sorta RPG was the highest rated game for the Vita and for good reason. You played as a mysterious young woman who could fly and manipulate gravity, acting as a de facto superhero for the city she woke up in. It was a fun game, even though the various challenges will piss you off. There were a lot of pot holes and loose ends that I hope get addressed in the eventual sequel. Definitely recommend giving it a try.

Platinum #11: Red Dead Redemption (PS3, 03 February 2013)

1La7446b.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

I've been playing this game a long time, since it first came out. I played it extensively on my wife's profile first, earning her a slew of trophies for it, and it was the first game I dedicated my attention to on my new profile in 2010. I still play it occasionally to this day. I was only able to plat it after working with another player from the yourgamercards.com forums. This is one of my proudest plats. One of these days I would like to get 100% trophy completion for it, hence why I still play it.

100% #3: flOw (PS3, 10 February 2013)

8L639805.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

(I don't know why this trophy image doesn't show correctly) I bought this game awhile back based on how much I liked Journey and Flower but only got around to it in February. You play as a little sea creature devouring other creatures, except it's all artsy like thatgamecompany's other two games. Another soothing game to play just like Flower.

Platinum #12: Plants Vs. Zombies (PS Vita, 19 February 2013)

1L022459.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

I played stupid amounts of this game on my Macbook, so naturally when I found out there was a version on the PSN I was all over it. I chose the version on the Vita because it had more trophies and also a platinum (natch). And really, the gameplay is better suited for a touchscreen if you ask me. You set up plants on your lawn to shoot at zombies trying to invade your house. It's cutesy and good casual fun.

Platinum #13: Assassin's Creed III (PS3, 18 March 2013)

1L5baf2f.png

Difficulty: 4 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

The second plat from my favorite game series. I'd been wanting to play this game since the day it came out, but obligations with work and family kept me away from my PS3 off and on throughout December through February. Determined to get in on the ground floor with the multiplayer, I worked through the base game multiplayer trophies the week before I left for Christmas vacation, then had my wife work on the Battle Hardened DLC trophies for me in January while I was on a monthlong work trip. Finally toward the end of February I was able to sit down and devote my full time toward. I really enjoyed the improved combat system, the naval combat missions, and the variety of things to do out in the Frontier. This one unseated the original Assassin's Creed as my favorite in the series.

100% #4: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game (PS3, 21 March 2013)

5Lbb08c3.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

The is another one of the games I started off with on my new profile in 2010. Enjoyed the graphic novels this is based on, so I bought the game. It's a fun, nostalgic side scrolling beat-em up in the manner of Double Dragon. I played it off and on for a long time whenever I had nothing better to do and only got around to 100%-ing it after the multiplayer DLC came out. Fun to play.

100% #5: The Unfinished Swan (PS3, 05 April 2013)

1L01dd16.png

This one was a game my wife was waiting on and I played it as well. Not a bad little puzzle game, kind of reminiscent of Journey or Flower but not made by the same company. You're a little boy chasing after a runaway swan and solving puzzles by shooting balls of ink, water, or light. Another calming game.

100% #6: Dragon Fantasy Book I (PS Vita, 22 April 2013)

1Lcdfd50.png

Got tipped off about this game by another user on the yourgamercards.com forums. I used to be a bigtime RPG player and am always looking for a decent RPG. It's reminiscent of the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior games and pokes fun at some of the usual tropes from the genre. Well worth your time and money if you're into old school RPGs. It has Cross Play between the PS3 and Vita, but I played this on my Vita.

Edited by damon8r351

Platinum #14: LEGO Lord of the Rings (PS Vita, 05 May 2013)

1La1fbfb.png

This was one of the games I picked up when I bought my Vita but only got to it in May. I'd never played a LEGO game before and love all things Lord of the Rings. At about 3 days, it was the quickest plat I've ever gotten without using cross save.

Platinum #15: Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock (PS Vita, 14 May 2013)

1Lcab9ce.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 1 / 5

Picked this one up for the Vita because I love the TV series, and what a mistake I made. I should've known better considering it was a cash-in on the popularity of the series, but what can you do? It's a stupid little side-scrolling platformer with puzzles that are impossible to trophy in the assigned time limit without a little XMB flim-flammery. I platted it only because I didn't want it bringing down my overall completion percentage. It started to grow on me toward the end, but I still wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

Platinum #16: Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS3, 15 June 2013)

1L391162.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

My third from this series, and my least favorite game from it (although I still like the game). I originally started playing this game in January 2012 immediately after beating Assassin's Creed II and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I got all the single player throphies (except the Sage trophy, which was glitched at the time), but refused to get the multiplayer trophies because I thought Assassin's Creed multiplayer was retarded at the time. Later on in November during the leadup to the ACIII release, I played all the PS3 games of the series from the original one all the way to Revelations just for fun. During that second playthrough, I got the Sage trophy finally, trophied the Lost Archive DLC (stupid DLC if you ask me), and decided to give the multiplayer a try, but found nothing but tumbleweeds due to ACIII being released that same week. In June I was grinding my way through a second plat attempt of Final Fantasy XIII and needed a break. Based on a tip off from another user at the yourgamercards.com forum, I gave the multiplayer another try and managed to get all the multiplayer trophies I needed for the plat. Assassin's Creed multiplayer is still retarded though.

Platinum #17: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 29 June 2013)

1L5afca3.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

Originally started playing this in the last half of February 2012 after a plat-less run at No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise. After 100 hours of work, I figured out that by accidentally selling something I needed and couldn't get again, I had screwed myself out of the Treasure Hunter trophy and the plat. I finished everything else I could, and after 140 hours of gameplay I deleted my savegame and gave up on getting the plat. It still kind of bothered me though. After a really frustrating run at Guacamelee in June 2013, I decided to return to Final Fantasy XIII and started a new file to get the last four trophies I was missing (Treasure Hunter, Adamant Will, L'Cie Paragon, and the plat). Another 140 hours later, I was successful.

Platinum #18 and #19: Sound Shapes (PS Vita & PS3, 27 July 2013)

1L6dad09.png

Difficulty: 5 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

Tough little platformer involving electronica music and one of the more frustrating games I've played on the Vita. This game allows you to Cross Save between the Vita and the PS3. Every trophy you earn on one platform will pop up on the other if you open your cross save on it, and you can even get two plats that way. I wasn't going to take advantage of that at first, but after getting through Death Mode on the Vita without throwing it across the room, I felt I deserved an extra plat just for not damaging my Vita. Once I platted the game on the Vita, I opened my save on the PS3 and all 64 trophies popped up in 6 minutes flat. Not something I'd do again, it's just that Sound Shapes is a special case. As frustrating as Death Mode was, I still play through the campaign mode occasionally just for fun.

Platinum #20: New Little King's Story (PS Vita, 20 September 2013)

1L5037fc.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

A JRPG I picked up because I was looking for something to play on my Vita after Sound Shapes. The gameplay reminds me of Pikmin a little, and has you playing as a boyish king looking to rescue his harem of princess girlfriends and rebuild his kingdom after it was laid to waste by a demon king. I played this through starting in July, screwed things up about halfway and had to start again, only finishing it up in late September 2013. It was a decent enough game, just not something I'd want to play through a second time. The grind involving getting all seven princesses' affection level up to the highest level got a bit tedious.

Platinum #21: Tomb Raider (PS3, 24 September 2013)

1L9e8f4b.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

This was my first ever Tomb Raider game and my all time favorite release this year that I've actually played (I haven't gotten to The Last of Us and GTAV yet, okay?). I liked the more realistic approach in this game to the series, but I still want to give the HD collection of Tomb Raider games a try later on. The free aiming style of this game was able to get me good enough to attempt the Advance Coop missions in Red Dead Redemption multiplayer and net me a couple more trophies. The multiplayer is kind of dumb in this game, and I wish there was some better DLC than some extra outfits and weapons and some multiplayer maps. Like maybe some more tombs or maybe a short single player adventure? Some people complain that they didn't like how whiny Lara was in this game, but I liked that it showed her growth from a scared college kid to a determined survivor. Seems shorter than I would've liked. Still highly recommended, wish there were more sequels to this upcoming for the PS3 instead of the PS4.

Platinum #22: Dragon Fantasy Book II (PS Vita, 03 October 2013)

1L055d5c.png

A short, fun little RPG that's the sequel to Dragon Fantasy Book I, which I completed back in April 2013. Whereas Book I was an homage to 8-bit RPGs like the original Final Fantasy, Book II is an homage to 16-bit RPGs and as such contains all sorts of in-jokes and references to Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Earthbound. Love the sense of humor in of these games. I screwed something up towards the end of my first playthrough and had to start all over from scratch, but I wasn't even mad. Looking forward to getting Book III, when Dragon Fantasy goes 64-bit.

100% #7: Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons (PS3, 12 October 2013)

1Lb5af9f.png

I got this the same day I picked up RAIN off the PSN, in one of those "if you liked this, then you might like this" recommendations. It's and adventure-puzzle game, in the manner of Prince of Persia meets ICO meets Journey, set in a medieval Nordic setting. You control two brothers journeying to get magic healing water to save their dying father. Your objective is simply solve the puzzle of successfully navigating the environment using each brother's unique abilities. You control the brothers individually with each joystick (left for the older and right for the younger) and the    :l2:  and    :r2:  buttons, and part of the game's challenge derives from successfully controlling both at the same time, and trying to figure out what to do based on gestures since you do not understand the language the characters speak. The game environment is stunning to look at despite the graphics being a bit simplistic, the soundtrack is low-key and emotional, and I dare say the game rivals Journey in its emotional impact. I know I cried big-ass Man Tears a couple times playing it. It's a really short game, you can complete it in less than a day. I highly recommend it.

Platinum #23: Guacamelee! (PS3, 23 October 2013)

1L63d8bb.png

Difficulty: 5 / 5   Grind: 2 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

A short, fun little metroidvania-style beat-em up and platformer centering around certain elements of Mexican culture like luchador wrestling and Dias de los Muertos. You play as Juan, a poor agave farmer trying to save El Presidente's daughter from the clutches of the undead charro Carlos Calaca. There's all sorts of in jokes and references to internet memes and old school Nintendo (particularly Metroid and Super Mario). I dug the art style and soundtrack (an odd blend of electronica and mariachi music), and had a tremendous amount of fun collecting abilities and beating up skeletons, but there's a couple of really unfairly challenging platforming sections that dealt me plenty of frustration. Hard mode can be a bitch too. If you can get through this game without getting frustrated at least once, you got my respect. I started playing it exclusively on the Vita, got frustrated and gave up on it for a few months, then switched to the PS3 and had a much easier time. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an old school Nintendo-style platforming challenge. Personally I'm relieved to get this off my backlog and out of my hard drive.

100% #8: rain (PS3, 25 October 2013)

1L4e80e2.png

Picked this one up on preorder off the PSN the same day I bought Brothers (see above). It's an ICO-style puzzle platformer with elements of stealth gameplay. You play a little boy stuck in a bizarre dreamworld where it's forever raining, chasing after a little girl who is herself being chased by a monster. Once you two link up halfway through the game, you work together to escape the monster and try to leave the dreamworld. Both children as well as the monsters are invisible except when the rain is pouring down on you, and this is where the stealth aspect of the gameplay comes in. To navigate the setting without getting killed by the monsters, you have to use the rain, the puddles, and the shelter from the rain to solve puzzles. None of the puzzles are terribly taxing though, I easily got through the game without a guide. It's nothing really new gameplay-wise, but I really enjoyed the setting of a dreary unnamed European city in a rainstorm, the piano-driven score perfectly evocative of a rainy day, and the whole being-chased-by-the-monster-under-the-bed vibe of the whole game. Very much recommended.

Platinum #24: The Walking Dead (PS Vita, 28 October 2013)

1L3cc25d.png

I bought this because the entire series and the DLC were on sale, and I wanted to know what sort of thing I was getting into when I bought The Wolf Among Us, since it was made by the same game studio. Turns out it's a pretty standard point and click adventure heavy on storyline just like Heavy Rain (...probably not as good as Heavy Rain), but what really grabbed me was the storyline. I've never really could get into The Walking Dead as a TV show or comic, but I was really surprised by this game. Heavy characterization, lots of hard decisions to make. If you're bored and looking for something to play, in the market for some easy trophies (they're all story-related), and it's on sale, I'd grab it. Make no mistake, it's a total trophy whore game, but at least the story is entertaining.

100% #9: Knytt Underground (PS Vita, 11 November 2013)

20Lf5a27b.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 2 / 5

Had this game on my Vita for ages, but I hesitated to play it for awhile based on its reputation for being frustrating. It's a Metroid-style exploration side-scroller set in a maze of underground caverns set 500 years in the future when all humans have died off and creatures like fairies and sprites have replaced them. You play as Mi, a mute sprite girl charged with ringing six bells to avert the end of the world, accompanied by two fairies named Dora and Cilia. I enjoyed the soundtrack and ambient noise, as well as the art style, which reminded me of Limbo. The story to me seemed very idiosyncratic to me; the developer is Swedish, so maybe it was a cultural difference that flew over my head. It can get quite dull sometimes roaming back and forth through tunnels, and while there are some challenging areas, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The controls can be a little wonky sometimes, particularly the jump mechanics, and the PS3 version is particularly glitchy so I recommend playing the Vita version. I'd only recommend it if you like Metroid-style games and are interested in the 15 ultra rare and 5 very rare trophies it offers.

100% #10: Flower (PS Vita, 07 December 2013)

2Lda7ac6.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

Picked this up for the Vita the very day they re-released it. There's nothing new here, except maybe one trophy requirement, but it looks good and plays real smooth on the Vita. I actually had more fun with it on the Vita than on the PS3, it felt to me like it felt more at home on a handheld. Here, you have the option to use the Vita's tilt controls or touch screen controls. As always a pleasure to play and a real keeper.

100% #11: Contrast (PS4, 08 December 2013)

3L871551.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 1 / 5

My first set of PS4 trophies. Picked this up on opening day for the PS4 for free. It's a puzzle-platformer set in the 1920s based around the interplay between the real world and shadows. I enjoyed the jazzy soundtrack, but the graphics weren't up to the bar I'd expect for a next generation console, and for some reason that I couldn't put my finger on I just couldn't get into it. It's a solid indie game, just... meh. The ending and the back story told in the collectibles was a little punch to it, but that's pretty much all it had going for it. Could've been a better game. Play it if you got it for free.

100% #12: Sumioni: Demon Arts (PS Vita, 15 December 2013)

7L47fb71.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

The only thing I can relate this game to is a side-scrolling version of Okami. You play as Agura, a demon summoned by an inkmaster and sent to save the day, using your inkbrush (here represented by the Vita's front and rear touch screens) to trace lines and symbols to cast spells, summon animal gods, and create platforms. It starts out relatively low key, then suddenly amps up in difficulty about halfway through the 6 endings you're required to get, till you get to the last boss which is quite the doozy. An unexpected challenge, play it if you're itching for a short game to test your skills at touch controls.

Platinum #25: No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise (PS3, 17 December 2013)

1L320304.png

Difficulty: 5 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

Never has a game I enjoyed this much pissed me off this much. More on that in a second. In this Playstation Move-compatible hack and slasher, you play as Travis Touchdown, a nerdy loser killing his way to the top of a mysterious shadowy assassin's association. It's an HD port of a Wii game, and a lot of fun killing off your enemies with a literal slash of your arm. Why'd it piss me off so much? Levels that made you start over if you got so much as a single hit on yourself, multiple required playthroughs through the different difficulty levels, a hard difficulty level that's complete bullshit, bosses with one-hit kill attacks, one boss that is completely overbalanced on the hardest difficulty. A fantastic game that's a must have if you enjoy hack and slash or if you have a Playstation Move gathering dust unused. This game to Move is what the Move should be all about. But never has a game I enjoyed pissed me off so much.   :P

Platinum #26: Tearaway (PS Vita, 31 December 2013)

1Lebf031.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

Squeaked this one out before the end of the year. Like many others have said already, if you have a Vita and haven't played this yet, you're doing yourself a disservice. You play as a papercraft creature in a papercraft world running to deliver a message to The You (you, yourself), in order to close off the sun and save their world. It's another puzzle platformer, but what makes it unique is the world itself, and the fact that it makes use of every single special feature of the Vita. Tilt functions, front and rear touchscreen, the built-in microphone, the front and rear cameras, you'll be using all of these. A truly magical game with a great story, albeit a bit too short.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1