Damon8r351's Trophy Hunting Checklist

damon8r351

Going to do some updates since I haven't messed with this in awhile...

100% #25 & #28: Child Of Light (PS Vita & PS3, 19 October 2014 & 11 November 2014)

4L4942a7.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

Yes, I did play this twice and paid to do it each time, mainly to relieve boredom between playthroughs of The Last Of Us. Hands down this game has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a few years, and a really unique narrative style (the entire game is in rhyme). It's a side-scrolling platformer that changes into a turn-based RPG using the ATB system. The story starts out with a little girl lost in a mysterious land that may or may not be a dream, then quickly turns into a quest to save the land from the proverbial wicked stepmother. There's not too many decent games that draw inspiration from fairy tales, so I really enjoyed playing this.

100% #26 & 27: The Unfinished Swan (PS Vita & PS4, 02 & 05 November 2014)

1La2ac83.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 3 / 5

This is another Santa Monica Studio game like flOw, Flower, and Journey that's simple to get into, not too long to complete, and enjoyable to play multiple times. When it came to PS4 and the Vita, I grabbed both along with Child of Light to alleviate weariness from multiple Last of Us playthroughs.

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #37: The Wolf Among Us (PS Vita, 15 November 2014)

1L749a29.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

I waited over a year for this to get to the Vita in a completed form, and it was worth the wait because I thought The Wolf Among Us was a heck of a lot better than The Walking Dead. I like the backstory to this game, and it seems like the comic might be something I could get into.

Platinum #38: The Last of Us (PS4, 21 November 2014)

1L351129.png

Difficulty: 4 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

I've been messing with this for 3 and a half months constantly, and I'm finally glad it's done with. Everything about this game is great, the soundtrack, the stealth gameplay, the voice acting, the level of detail they put into the background. An interesting touch I found was that this was supposed to be about the infected, but you actually encounter a lot more human enemies than infected; I suppose that's a comment on how humanity are the real monsters. What took me by surprise was that I wasn't expecting Joel to be as shitty a human being as he turns out to be in the story, but flawed heroes are the best. If you crank up the difficulty, I feel the game really does a good job at keeping the tension at a slow constant burn, where at any minute I feel everything could go to shit. Sometime in my first playthrough, I made the call that I'd play each difficulty separate without stacking any trophies, and switch out with other games between so I wouldn't grow to hate this game. I'd get questions why I was doing it this way, and on by my 8th playthrough I was asking myself the same question. Oh well. At least by Grounded Mode, I knew where everything was at and that difficulty was a yawnfest at that point. This game is a must play, just don't play it 10 times like I did.

100% #29: How To Survive: Storm Warning Edition (PS4, 17 March 2014)

12L3c544e.png

Difficulty: 3 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

I played the original on the PS3 earlier this year, and it's still an enjoyable RPG & twin stick shooter hybrid. The PS4 version has a bunch of extra stuff added to it: another playable character that can craft flamethrowers, extra side quests for items, a long optional story quest that occurs on three new islands, added weather effects and predatory animals, and it tweaks a bunch of things like making flashlights run out of battery charge and making campfires get put out by rainfall. The PS4 is the superior version if you're wondering which to get.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice list! Though, and this is just a suggestion, it's a little confusing going back and forth between platinums and 100%. Maybe separating them into a platinum section and 100% section would make it easier to look at. I say this because I was trying to see if you platinummed the entire FFXIII series yet.

Nice list! Though, and this is just a suggestion, it's a little confusing going back and forth between platinums and 100%. Maybe separating them into a platinum section and 100% section would make it easier to look at. I say this because I was trying to see if you platinummed the entire FFXIII series yet.

I did that at the beginning but I found it annoying to flip back and forth when I was typing it out, so I decided to put everything in chronological order together. To answer your initial inquiry though, I started Lightning Returns a couple weeks ago but hadn't finished it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

100% #30: Child of Light (PS4, 18 December 2014)

4Lb75dee.png

Third and final time I've played through this. As I've stated before, this game is a joy to play, and the soundtrack is one of the finest I've heard in a few years. The PS4 version is the superior version in terms of visual presentation, but the Vita version remains the best in my opinion for using touch controls for your wisp companion.

100% #31: Never Alone (PS4, 20 December 2014)

8Ld5a1f9.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 4 / 5

This is a puzzle-platformer similar to Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, in that you control two characters with complimentary skills to navigate the levels. What's different here though is that you don't have to move both at the same time. The girl Nuna has the ability to carry and push objects around and also wield a hunting bola, while her white fox companion is quick, agile, and can climb or fit into small tunnels. What sets this puzzle game apart from other generic games is that the story is drawn from stories of the Inupiat people in northern Alaska. I've played plenty of games based off mythology, but none from that location. It's a unique experience, and one that takes only a few hours to complete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to get control of my rampant backlog and digital storage space problem, I decided this year to sweep through all the games that have been sitting digitally on various systems untouched for ages and get those completed before I move on to other things. So I made up a list and put it in my short term goals. Maybe that will get a little bit more discipline back into my game collection. :T

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum #39: Minecraft (PS Vita, 29 January 2015)

1Lc96de7.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 2 / 5

I played it to see what the big deal was, and I get why people like it. It's okay and all, it's just that to me it gets real old after awhile. I got most of the trophies in the tutorial world, then built my own world in a taiga biome to grind out the trophy for playing 100 days. I took some pictures, maybe someone will be interested.

The world I used was almost complete taiga and snowy plains, with some hills and a long river. The were some small jungle areas in the corners. I'm actually standing near my house on the map here.

15768069774_13e1ed1527_o.jpg

Some shots around the cabin I built and the lake by it, including my two tame wolfdogs. The fireplace has a block of Netherrack in it, to keep up the illusion of a roaring fire.

15768069484_9d59d41e9f_o.jpg

16202891948_11ed113894_o.jpg

16204300169_88dce36028_o.jpg

16204622237_ec78563903_o.jpg

16390520865_a412a373fb_o.jpg

16203121080_8b1c335c6e_o.jpg

15768069524_0713410f0b_o.jpg

Next set is of my mining location, which was an extremely deep gorge just south of my cabin, that went all the way down to the lava level yet was still almost open to the sky.

15768069434_e12d7df45c_o.jpg

15770507443_e640fb6a07_o.jpg

16364545726_37ed692184_o.jpg

16390520565_394171d7c2_o.jpg

15768069264_1a9b8b79b5_o.jpg

I got bored so I found a Youtube video and learned how to make Stonehenge in Minecraft. The area had to be flattened out, one small cave and a nearby lake had to be filled in, and to get enough building material I stripped an entire hill of it's topsoil layer to expose the rock core and complete dismantled it from the inside out. So the plain here is short one hill that it had when I started.

15768071034_315c8379b5_o.jpg

16388781491_f196073dae_o.jpg

16204622437_c9d4a03a2a_o.jpg

16388781401_36f9cdf64f_o.jpg

16204622357_4e7a11e5fa_o.jpg

15768069924_af658c44a2_o.jpg

15770507303_fd5f5eb136_o.jpg

15768070994_4bc965dbcf_o.jpg

16364547156_706aae7502_o.jpg

16364547176_df98b52d6f_o.jpg

As a joke, I dug out a chamber under Stonehenge and built a replica of the Pandorica (Doctor Who reference) out of obsidian.

16204623377_45ce9e5270_o.jpg

16204621797_effa2fd48a_o.jpg

16388780711_a1212dd3fd_o.jpg

• Like 2

100% #32: The Swapper (PS Vita, 02 February 2015)

10L5cd284.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 2 / 5

Not much to say about this puzzle game other than that the gameplay was only okay, but the plot was top-notch and would've made a good science fiction story. Sometimes plot is all you need to save a game. It was free so I'm not complaining too much.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

100% #33 & #34: Broken Sword 5 Episode 1 & 2 (PS Vita, 03 February 2014)
14Ldd964a.png

Another point and click graphic adventure, in two episodes. This one follows American insurance agent George Stobbart and French reporter Nico Collard as they first investigate a murder and art theft, then get involved in a wide ranging conspiracy involving Spanish Gnostics and a Russian mobster. There's apparently some backstory that I'm not privy to since I haven't played any of the last 4 games, but it really doesn't impede understanding this game. Basically you talk to people and use objects to solve puzzles just like you would any Telltale game. The story is pretty decent, but it starts overreaching itself at the end. Not really a must-play but it's pretty good if you like these sort of graphic adeventures.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

100% #35: Home: A Unique Horror Adventure (PS Vita, 02 March 2015)

12Ld9dd01.png

A short graphic adventure where you wake up in a strange house with no memory on how you got there, or why you keep finding dead bodies everywhere. It's your job to figure out what happened, retrace your steps, and to get back home to find your wife. It's creepy in the manner like if you woke up from sleepwalking next to the front door with your car keys in your hand. I don't think there's any ending to this game where things end up turning out alright for the guy you play.

• Like 1

Platinum #40: The Order: 1886 (PS4, 05 March 2015)

1L8b7a48.png

Pretty damn fantastic game, not perfect but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The visual presentation is without equal so far, and gives me hope that the PS4 won't just be a jumped up PS3. The story's is pretty good as well and so is the voice acting, it's too bad though that they didn't go much more into the backstory so we can get a feel on why things are the way they are now in the game. My only real complaint is that the game is noticeably too short, and they left a lot of things hanging at the end, possibly to be resolved in a sequel.

• Like 2

Platinum #41: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, 08 March 2015)

1Lafe960.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 4 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but if you're on the fence about the Fabula Nova Crystallis part of the Final Fantasy series, this one won't change your mind unless you're into the time limit and the battle system. The team that made it allegedly took onboard a lot of criticism from the previous two games and tried to apply it to this one. My favorite part was how they made the battle system require more input from the gamer than the previous games (you can't mindlessly hit Auto-battle and expect to win here), but am undecided about how freeform they made the storyline after all the people whining that the lat two games were too linear. Given how freeform everything and the imposed time limit, the game is very unforgiving to people wanting to explore and figure things out. It took me 7 false starts to finally get a playthrough started that I was happy with because of that. This game is heavy on the fan service, so if you always wondered what it would be like to see Lightning cast fire spells while in a two-piece bikini and sarong, this is exactly your sort of bag. Some of the garbs were starting to annoy me because inevitably the slutty-looking ones always had the best abilities, when all I wanted was one that looked badass (not slutty) and was moderately useful. So fuck pervy fanboys for that. On a positive note, the game gives all sorts of shout outs to older games in the series, like some of the garbs which harkened to some of the old job classes like Dragoon and Red Mage, or little scraps of old soundtracks that would crop up everywhere. If you're a fan of the two previous games, this will wrap up everything for you (probably unsatisfactorily but whatever), but if you hated anything about the previous two games this one will probably not change your opinion.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Platinum #42: Okami HD (PS3, 30 March 2015)

1Lc0b30d.png

Difficulty: 2 / 5   Grind: 3 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

I've had this game on my PS3 hard drive for a few years and I regret not playing it long before now. It's a Zelda-style adventure with drawing mechanics used for various special attacks by your character. The story draws heavily on Japanese mythology, and the art style was a huge plus as it draws on ukiyo-e paintings, something I've always been interested in. If there are any drawbacks to the game, I'd have to say that the voice acting consists only of the characters saying "yama yama yama" over and over again, and that the controls using the Move controller aren't as good as just using a regular DS3 controller. Really great game.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Platinum #43: Soul Sacrifice Delta (PS Vita, 09 May 2015)

1Lea2ec5.png

Difficulty: 4 / 5   Grind: 5 / 5   Enjoyment: 5 / 5

I've already reviewed Soul Sacrifice, which Soul Sacrifice Delta is an extensive expansion of, so I won't repeat myself too much. What I will say is that this version is the superior version of an already excellent game. Everything has been extensively rebalanced, reworked, and just overall made better. If you had a choice between the two, this is clearly the definitive version of the game. I went into this thinking my transfer data from Soul Sacrifice would put me in good stead toward a quick plat, but I was pleasantly surprised that so much has been improved that it ended up becoming a completely brand new take in familiar territory, that almost took as long as the original journey. I'll even go so far to say that this might be one of the finest Vita exclusives out there.

100% #36-#39: Jurassic Park: The Game (PS3, 17-30 May 2015)

5L2c00c0.png

Difficulty: 1 / 5   Grind: 1 / 5   Enjoyment: 2 / 5

This is the Telltale graphic adventure in 4 parts, and takes place immediately after the events of the first movie. It wasn't too bad, but you could tell Telltale was still working out the winning formula they perfected later in The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. One thing that really surprised me was how unforgiving the QTEs were in this series and how easy it was to fail. I jokingly call this one the Dark Souls of Telltale games. :T

• Like 1

• 1 month later...