Is it any good?

You

Big fan of the Konami Asterix game from the early 90s, is this version any good? It looks very similar, even the animations too.

But for 35 pounds..seems a bit pricey, and sadly no online coop it seems.

Edited by enaysoft

Personally I'm really disappointed. The game has amazing graphics and sounds but... that's all. Gameplay's mechanics are really limited. No online coop, really repetitive levels and enemies waves. Good point : the platinum is really easy (between 2/10 and 3/10). I will sell it in a couple of days.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dwight_Venom said:

Personally I'm really disappointed. The game has amazing graphics and sounds but... that's all. Gameplay's mechanics are really limited. No online coop, really repetitive levels and enemies waves. Good point : the platinum is really easy (between 2/10 and 3/10). I will sell it in a couple of days.

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't buy it, I had a hunch it wouldn't be that good. I don't trust Micronoid anymore. They are always releasing new licenced games and the quality has been between OK and mediocre (look at XXXI Remake).

And yes, 45 euros for 6 levels + all the boring limited gameplay, it was an instant No for me. 

Hi guys. I confirm what I said before. Very sad to say this game is really limited. Some good ideas but the game is too much repetitive. I rushed the very hard mode easily. Just Red Beard boss who can be really annoying. Otherwise the game is really easy and fast to rush even in this difficulty. 

As you said Enaysoft, this game is not totally bad but could be interesting to purchase it at lower-softer price...

Edited by Dwight_Venom
missing words
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dwight_Venom said:

Hi guys. I confirm what I said before. Very sad to say this game is really limited. Some good ideas but the game is too much repetitive. I rushed the very hard mode easily. Just Red Beard boss who can be really annoying. Otherwise the game is really easy and fast to rush even in this difficulty. 

As you said Enaysoft, this game is not totally bad but could be interesting to purchase it at lower-softer price...

Thanks or the confirmation. I really like scrolling beat-em-ups, I would buy this even if it only takes 30 mins to complete because that's what arcade beat-em-ups are all like, so I don't mind the length or even if the game isn't super amazing. I'd have snapped it up if it was 15 pounds, but 35.... The arcade archives are great for 8 pounds, but yeah, just gonna have to wait for a half price sale I'm afraid.

12 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Thanks or the confirmation. I really like scrolling beat-em-ups, I would buy this even if it only takes 30 mins to complete because that's what arcade beat-em-ups are all like, so I don't mind the length or even if the game isn't super amazing. I'd have snapped it up if it was 15 pounds, but 35.... The arcade archives are great for 8 pounds, but yeah, just gonna have to wait for a half price sale I'm afraid.

Ohh, please wait. The game content is quite important. A full playthrough is 50 levels with around 8h of gameplay. If you don't start directly the game in higher difficulty mode, you will have to do the game twice. So around 16h in total (maybe a bit more as some levels are a bit tricky in very hard => around 20h).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2022 at 10:41 PM, Rockstar-Suicide said:

For real? I've got em all except Hard/Hardest... I can't pass 1-8 on hardest at all!

Yeah i read 2 or 3 that too time ago and said great and now playing just the first mission is an 8/10. 2 hits and you are almost done no margin of error plus erratic moves .not for me

Pass!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 7:46 PM, waltdisneypixar said:

Yeah i read 2 or 3 that too time ago and said great and now playing just the first mission is an 8/10. 2 hits and you are almost done no margin of error plus erratic moves .not for me

Pass!!!!

I know there's no online multi player, but can share play be used to get some sort of multiplayer going

• 1 month later...
On 11.4.2022 at 1:46 AM, waltdisneypixar said:

Pass!!!!

Agreed, it's at least an 7/10. I'm even playing coop, which should make the game easier, but me and my partner spent hours just beating the first act. The pirate boss fight was absolutely terrible, and some of the enemies that attacks multiple times in a row can kill you in one swipe :/ Starting to hate the game, but the short levels keeps me going

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keitaro004 said:

Agreed, it's at least an 7/10. I'm even playing coop, which should make the game easier, but me and my partner spent hours just beating the first act. The pirate boss fight was absolutely terrible, and some of the enemies that attacks multiple times in a row can kill you in one swipe :/ Starting to hate the game, but the short levels keeps me going

I notice the game is on a slight sale atm, I almost thought of getting it today. Thanks for the post. lol

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/5/2021 at 3:16 AM, Dwight_Venom said:

So I finally got around to playing this game, after buying it on sale a year earlier.

So, actually unlike @Dwight_Venom I actually think this game is great, almost certainly as good as the Konami arcade classic, sometimes this game is worse and better but they both play similar.

The Konami version has a lot more variety and boss ideas but wow this version is like Cuphead, beautiful graphics and sometimes as many as 20-25 enemies on screen and not a single hint of slowdown.

Some of Dwight's criticisms are valid of course, no online coop, repetitive levels and enemy waves. However what scrolling beat-em-up isn't repetitive. I was actually surprised how fun the combat is, so if the game is fun to play which I think it is, at least the repetitive element is fun, so to speak.

A few things though, this game is looooong, I was not expecting it to be THAT long (when earlier in this topic I read six levels) Each Act is long, some have about 12 sub stages.

Very hard is pretty tricky, no way is it a 2 or 3/10, that is mental lol.

Like most people I got to Redbeard no problem and jesus, you have to do the entire level without dying AND defeat the boss. That one took me a fair few attempts, little did I know I had to do this exact stage FOUR more times, one of them without any food pickups. That part in particular was a bit unforgivable, I mean the same stage 5 times and not even any story conclusion whatsoever.

Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the game,l started on the hardest setting so I guess you could say platinum was achieved quickly. Kinda wish I wasn't a middle aged adult, played on a few separate sessions, probably could have got the fastest platinum time.

At any rate, I do regret not playing this game earlier due to the comments in this thread. If you like the Konami Asterix then you'll definitely dig this. Sure it's repetitive, and other than charge attack and release, pretty much all the moves from the Konami game are here. I don't honestly know how they could make this game better as it is, basing it off the same scrolling beat-em-up that Konami did. The Konami one sadly barely had any enemies on screen, maybe 6 at the most which is a shame considering how action packed all their other beat-em-ups were.

This game however does improve on that, and than some very odd triple echo death sounds for when enemies die, I think the sound fx on this game are great.

I would definitely recommend this game, sure it's no SOR4 but it feels very nice and responsive to play, certainly the game is very far, even if for sure on hardest settings you sometimes need to defeat 500 enemies and a boss and you die in 2 hits.

Game has plenty of infinite combo type strategies to make the enemies and bosses go down without giving you too much trouble though. Infact the same techniques can be used pretty much throughout the whole game. Running away from Red Beard the moment you see him fall over is the trickiest thing this game has to offer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 9:52 PM, enaysoft said:

What levels are you stuck on? Or is it all of them? lol

Um, on hard, I think I made it to the boat, but couldn't beat it. I'm sure 2p would double the enemy count but easier to watch each other's backs. I think it stacks so if I found a 2nd player, I'd just run hardest to get it all done with

6 hours ago, Rockstar-Suicide said:

Um, on hard, I think I made it to the boat, but couldn't beat it. I'm sure 2p would double the enemy count but easier to watch each other's backs. I think it stacks so if I found a 2nd player, I'd just run hardest to get it all done with

Oh man, you have to do that boat part about SIX times, and the first time is probably the easiest.

I am not sure if 2 player is easier to be honest, since on 1 player you can switch characters (effectively giving you double the health and the other character slowly heals while you are not playing as them.

What you need to do is hit enemies from one side of the screen to the other and keep doing that pattern, for pretty much the entire game. There's also the tip on the boat stage that where possible you should never go for the boss, but instead just knock enemies into his him as that does damage as well.

First priority should always be to go for those spear guys, or, the bare footed fat brigand blokes before they do their running attack.

Are you aware you can infinite combo enemies by tapping square button three times and then stopping, another three. etc

17 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Oh man, you have to do that boat part about SIX times, and the first time is probably the easiest.

I am not sure if 2 player is easier to be honest, since on 1 player you can switch characters (effectively giving you double the health and the other character slowly heals while you are not playing as them.

What you need to do is hit enemies from one side of the screen to the other and keep doing that pattern, for pretty much the entire game. There's also the tip on the boat stage that where possible you should never go for the boss, but instead just knock enemies into his him as that does damage as well.

First priority should always be to go for those spear guys, or, the bare footed fat brigand blokes before they do their running attack.

Are you aware you can infinite combo enemies by tapping square button three times and then stopping, another three. etc

Yeah it'll be a little rough since I've not touched it in over a year... Nerves and frustration I guess lol