Capcom says Resident Evil fans are too old and will grow out of gaming

Lady Lilith

Resident Evil fans range greatly, i'm 16 and started with RE4 when I was 10.

Isn't this game a PEGI 18? And now, do you want to kill people in real life? Haha kidding. ^^

When I was your age, I was playing Super Mario... Jeez time flies...

Edited by ZA-TomTom

• 2 weeks later...

"like open a Resident Evil restaurant in Tokyo"

I want to go.

They need to stick to their roots, what made them famous. The abysmal sales of RE6 should show proof of that. I was born in 1990, played the first RE when I was.... I don't know, 8? Scared the shite out of me, loved it. I'm 23 now, still want that old world feel, give it back Capcom!!!!

The Resident Evil franchise has gone downhill ever since Mikami left it.

Capcom should just ask Mikami to come back on board in an "advisory" capacity.

If age was such a big factor, then Kojima would've packed up MGS YEARS AGO!!!

You give Mikami way too much credit, in regards to RE. Heck, "The Evil Within" looks more and more as an upgraded RE4, speaking of which, it's honestly shocking to see some fans/players call that goddamn Action-Shooter a Survival Horror, today. It makes me wonder if folks really knew what the old chapters were about.

The sad thing is that those developers who worked on the old RESIDENT EVIL(s) either left CAPCOM, by now, or were 'transferred' to other projects. There's not much hope to see this franchise get back on track, if the old vision is missing.

On the Topic of this thread... Leave it to Kotaku to screw things up a bit. Here's a rather detailed answer on the matter by someone employed at CAPCOM (which also links at the source material of the controversy): http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/30165577/so-this-is-how-you-really-feel-capcom?post_num=67#537211625

Honestly, though, the best thing would be to split the franchise in two: One side of chapters aimed at survival horror fans, the other for action-shooter's addicts. Resident Evil 6 tried to be 'something to everyone' and by doing that, it failed on pretty much every aspect. It has its fans, good for those folks, but as a game it lacks focus... Identity.

@Vergilex

Mikami deserves all the credit he gets. He was the "main" person responsible for the evolution of the Resident Evil franchise. He smartly walked out on the franchise after the success of Resident Evil 4. A game like comes around once in a blue moon. Resident Evil 4 influenced an entire generation of shooters. Of course, one has to wonder if Mikami knew Resident Evil's future was in "action", as opposed to horror.

The Evil Within looks nothing like Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 wasn't isolated to one locale like The Evil Within. I'd say TEW is going back to the ORIGINAL Resident Evil game. The "haunted" mansion cliché.

@Vergilex

Mikami deserves all the credit he gets. He was the "main" person responsible for the evolution of the Resident Evil franchise. He smartly walked out on the franchise after the success of Resident Evil 4. A game like comes around once in a blue moon. Resident Evil 4 influenced an entire generation of shooters. Of course, one has to wonder if Mikami knew Resident Evil's future was in "action", as opposed to horror.

The Evil Within looks nothing like Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 wasn't isolated to one locale like The Evil Within. I'd say TEW is going back to the ORIGINAL Resident Evil game. The "haunted" mansion cliché.

Resident Evil 4 would be the evolution? I'd rather call it fuck up, more like, big fuck up. There was a time when Resident Evil:

- Allowed me a bit of freedom in how to tackle the "Quest" [Maze-like locations], instead of guiding on me from beginning to end on a single course.

- Enemies weren't a source of ammunition/money for upgrades/even health items, but obstacles. Resident Evil once suggested you to avoid as many confrontations as possible; ever since 4... Not only is it often required of you to shoot everything, in order to advance, but doing so aids you in the game.

- Involved some kind of 'Detective-work', for lack of a better term. I had to explore locations, read files in hope to discover how to advance. Now the backgrounds/settings may look prettier, but they're more dead than the undead we faced back in the year 1996.

Resident Evil 4 is a good game on its own, and in a way, the same could be said about 5 and even 6, but 4 destroyed the core-experience which made RE what it was.

@Vergilex

Resident Evil 4 was a "natural" evolution of the franchise. It had to be done. Mikami had done six Resident Evil games (RE 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, Remake and Zero) and he couldn't come up with a way to correct the flaws of those games. Resident Evil 4 was to him what "Mona Lisa" was to Leonardo Da Vinci. A masterpiece.

Modern day masterpieces like; Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us - owe a great deal of debt to Mikami and Resident Evil 4.

You, and many others, play those games and yet jump on the hate bandwagon when the subject of Resident Evil is brought up.

Also, when Resident Evil 4 came out I didn't hear a single person complaining about it. Not one. Everyone was in "awe" of it. The same as, if not more so than, The Last Of Us.

Gamers love to shift the goalposts when they have something to complain about. In 2005, they were adoring RE 4. In 2014, they're hating on it.

Give it a rest.

Resident Evil's demise is NOT Mikami's fault. He left because he had NOTHING more to give to it. Resident Evil 4 was his masterpiece. The critics loved it. The fans MOST CERTAINLY loved it (9.5 user metacritic score says it all) and it should be judged SOLELY as a stand alone title.  

Edited by RisewithBane

I jump on the hatewagon because RESIDENT EVIL isn't RESIDENT EVIL, anymore. "Thanks" to the  praise received by 4 (as for it being deserved or not, heh, that's for the single person to decide, I think) what once was a survival horror flagship ultimately turned into another generic third-person-shooter. I think you didn't surf too many BIOHAZARD-related boards/groups, huh? RE4 and later 5 got their fair share of dislike from the fans, upon release... And still do nowadays, to speak the truth. Not everyone is happy with them.
Personally, as a fan sticking around since RE2, I consider myself lucky: I enjoy to some degree both kinds of RESIDENT EVIL, but I'm not stupid, either: it's a fact that survival horror fans haven't been getting their "fix" from RE ever since 4 joined the ranks, so yeah, Mikami deserves at least part of the blame for the franchise's demise.

Also, what makes RE4 special? Huh? Why should it be judged as a stand alone title? Have you ever heard of a thing called brand's expectations? Seriously. Have you? The folks which stopped supporting RE thanks to 4 are more than you obviously know, their feedback was sadly silenced by the giant stream of income brought by the shooter crowd, which approached the saga with 4. What I wonder is: why change something that works? S.H. is somewhat of a niche genre, yet most instalments of RE had number of sales surpassing the million goal, in short, it was doing fine in its own way. Too bad that suits at CAPCOM became way too greedy, and now they're paying the price.
Look at the franchise which I'm sourcing my avatar from, for another example of a working, albeit extremely old gameplay: every damn addict of TEKKEN can tell you that the biggest changes to its formula have been brought by REVOLUTION, a free-to-play game released in 2013, with its Invincibles, Criticals and RPG-like stats. Up until that, every chapter simply added moves or ways to extend juggles. Now, is TEKKEN flawed, too? It most certainly is, but at least NAMCO hasn't screwed over and over the customers... They delivered functioning fighting games. CAPCOM instead.....

1) "With this fans will get to experience a new Survival Horror" = We got 4.

2) "Survival Horror is coming back" = Oh, look, it's 5.

3) "The saga will go back to its roots" = Knock, knock. It's 6.

4) Any of the above = Revelations

I'd just like for every fan of RE to walk away from a game thinking: "That was a great RE."... Instead, for years the folks at CAPCOM developed chapters solely aimed at the shooter-fans, screw those who would like to play a  s.h., damn... Our best bet for that genre are Indie games.

Edited by Vergilex