Not Everyone Thinks Steam Sales Are A Good Idea

xVolloxx

The guy has a point, but he doesn't take into account people who would have never bought the game otherwise. People who really want the game are going to buy it no matter how much it is. There are others that will wait for a sale or a price drop. These two things are a constant no matter what platform you're on. For example, I'm buying FFXHD day one at full price, but I'm waiting for a price drop or a sale on A Link Between Worlds. The one thing steam sales do, especially for indie developers, is get people to buy a game they never would have even considered otherwise. For example, I would have never in a million years bought Evoland had it not been on sale for just a couple bucks. There's no lost sales there, only additional sales. Now, any game that studio puts out I'll likely buy for full price too. Another thing steam sales do, is provide little bursts of sales for games. Most games, especially on consoles, sell a lot a within the first couple months, then dwindle down to basically nothing within a year or so. Steam sales throw up games that have been out for years and throw a sale on it, and suddenly people start buying it again. Another example, I had never played a Ys game before, and I thought it looked interesting, but didn't want to invest the time or money into the series. Until I saw Ys: Origin on sale for $5. It was only $5, so I picked it up. Now I'm a huge fan of the series and went back and picked up Ys Seven, I & II Chronicles, and Oath in Felghana. Then once Memories of Celceta came out, I picked it up day one. That never would have happened had that game not been on sale. Everyone I know who has steam has stories like this. Point is, steam sales benefit developers a lot, especially in the long term, and even more so for indie developers.

Speaking of Ys, I should probably pick up the new one.

• Like 1

No he wasn't as he was also saying he would download PS3 games for free if he knew how to jailbreak it - so a typical 'leech on devs'

But then when I tryed to figure out how to do that I discovere that if Sony finds out will mean you cannot play online games. So I just didn't bothered but if it wasn't for that issue, at least I would try to find someone that I could trust to jailbreak that.

My PSone had the chip to play the games I downloaded from Internet (but my little brother broke it. RIP 2nd PSone 2001 - 2009).

And the PS2 I didn't tryed to put it a chip because I heard that the 1st PS2 that came out we're capable to do that. But it would last 6 months so I didn't tryed it neither, Don't know if that's true or false and I don't even care.

Now my brother have a PSP and he only have 2 PSP games, the rest is on the memory card (also his PSP have a problem because he got it used so the stick don't work very well and usually it gets stuck in the game so when we buy a game, maybe it will be back to the store because the game needs that stick to be playable.)

Now I don't know if PS Vita we can do the same. And PS4 is the same like PS3 maybe so not gonna try it.

Just gonna have to redeem myself with console game emulators like for GBA, NDS, PSone, etc... and downloaded PC games that is worth to play with my friends.

I really don't know why do people care about that. I know that everyone that use Internet have something not legal. Movies, music, programs, etc... I have a friend that buy PC games but download music from a website by copying the link of youtube. Also he watch movies and series on internet not paying nothing. And also downloads movies and programs. And I know everyone downloaded one of these things and don't you dare say it's different because it isn't. I can only say that the thing I buy for PC is really the PC and it comes with the SO installed. In my case it was with the Windows 8 because I needed a laptop for school. But I also have Windows 8 in a DVD to install on a new PC capable of that software. The rest of it (programs, games, etc...) is either free or downloaded with cracks. Like avast, it was testing for a month but I used a crack to have for more time. And who don't do that? It will keep your computer safe.

Who have bought a new PC will absolutely tell that the PC came with the Microsoft Office for testing, but only a few people will pay to have it all. So you see?? If I'm doing things bad, then we all are. So before saying that I'm not doing anything good by downloading games for free when they're not, just look at the mirror, ups I forgot you won't see nothing so just look at your PC and try to count how many programs you have installed and how many of those you actually payed to have them. Good night everyone.

Long Post trying to explain why he should download games illegally which isn't worth the space the quote would take

So with that answer I would have to say either a/ you are a trolling b/ you are a moron.

If you cannot comprehend why it is a bad thing to download games for free, then you really need to pull that finger out and take a look at the world. Trying to justify it is even worse. I will try to break down my thoughts so that it can seep in and permeate where there isn't too much self-justification going on.

Just a few questions for you :

Most other media can pay for itself even if downloading it isn't right - movies have cinema, music has concerts, etc. What does gaming have to bring in revenue except for sales?

Would you expect to go to work every day in a year to only be paid a small percentage of what you supposed to be paid ?

I hate to use this kind of example, but I do see that there may be a need to keep this simple -

If everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you do it ?

At the end of the day, the ONLY reason you do it is because there is little to no risk of ever getting caught.

I do pay for my software, and guess what if I don't want to pay, I use free options, you do realise that free alternatives exist for office right ? Hell avast has a free version. In fact if they are good enough I will even donate to those bits of software. If I need more I will pay for it, it's not exactly rocket science.

If you want free games, play on facebook or flash games.

I can look myself in the mirror thank you very much, as I know that any service I use will have been paid for in some way.

So to answer your question : how much software do you have on your pc that you have paid for ? my answer will be all of it, except for Freeware.

End of the day, I'll go back to my previous comment, you are a leech.

Edited by Memnoch
  • Like 1

I really don't know why do people care about that. I know that everyone that use Internet have something not legal.

You don't know shit.

Ive never stolen a song, a movie or a piece of software, and think that anyone who does is a fucking pathetic scumbag.

Don't try to justify leeching money from the people who create and/or pay fair price for the games you claim to like by convincing yourself that everyone is doing it. You aren't just stealing money from the creative people who are better than you, you are also stealing money from everyone who pays for what they consume - I.e. most of the users of this forum. Then, to make matters worse, you come on here and try to justify to the people who you are stealing from and expect to be what? Welcomed? Congratulated?

You are the worst of the worst, and I hope you get caught and prosecuted.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Well anyway, if they think people have that kind of money to be able to buy all their game on day one they are sorely mistaken.

If I had to buy all the games I got last year on day one I'd have spent 3500€ (they are all 69,90€ when they are released here in Italy)

That's why I wait for sales and price cuts.

They should at least be grateful I don't buy used games.