Not Everyone Thinks Steam Sales Are A Good Idea

xVolloxx

Not Everyone Thinks Steam Sales Are A Good Idea

Indie dev Jason Rohrer (Passage, Between, Sleep is Death) has written a blog post called "Why Rampant Sales are Bad for Players". He argues that a "culture of sales" has led to people waiting for a game's price to drop before buying, which in the long-term isn't just resulting in less money for developers, but also a diminished community around a game, as buyers are dispersed over a period of months (or even years) instead of being concentrated around a game's launch . 

Read more here : http://kotaku.com/not-everyone-thinks-steam-sales-are-a-good-idea-1503057812

Full Article : Why Rampant Sales are Bad for Players [The Castle Doctrine]

Very interesting article and i can see his point and he does make a good one 

although not everything in the article is precise .

Edited by TheVolloxx-

Steam sales, Playstation Plus...same basic principle.

I do agree, but I'm not the kind that normally does stuff like that for Plus, usually I have the game already.  My connection was pretty terrible until a few months ago, so I'd avoid download full PS3 games like the plague.  Infamous 1 took like all evening, and then Dead Nation took a good chunk of another evening.

Edited by Sonic

as buyers are dispersed over a period of months (or even years) instead of being concentrated around a game's launch.

Yes, it's to much to have to support the game and community for any period of time, verses taking the launch money and running.

:blah:  Butthurt cause wallet is thin,,,

Well, for me, steam sales are already bad because they sell PC games. The same games you get for free by downloading in other sites. Just have to wait a little time after they are released to someone buy that game and puts it in the internet.

Now PS+ games. If download PS3 games only work when ther PS3 is jailbreaked or whatever the name is. But I don't know how to do that so I have to buy games but with PS+ its very good. 6 games per month and I only play 2 of them because I don't have PS Vita or PS4. But at least I know that when I buy a PS Vita or a PS4 I don't hvae to buy a game with it because I know I have plenty.

I highly agree with him. And Steam/digital distribution's recent explosive popularity are the reasons it happens.

It's kind of a slap in the face to your loyal fans who are the ones giving you your initial good sales which can help spread word and opinions online and in turn help it sell even more, and are the people giving the devs the most money per unit. To turn around and offer it at a heavy discount only months later I consider to be a disrespect for those early adopters. And it's especially worse when retail games get heavy discounts.

I myself have stopped buying games at launch all together because I know they will most likely be discounted to $30 or $20 on Amazon or Steam in less than half a year's time.

The only game I got at launch last year was Ni No Kuni and that was only for the Wizard's Edition.

Edited by rsoto1125

I always pre-order all my games  for some weird reason so I rarely use the steam summer sale, and when I do is simply because the game is ridiculous cheap and don't even end up playing it in the end. To the matter at hand if your game isn't selling enough at launch maker better games? Sorry if that sounds unreasonable but if your game is not good enough to begin with most people will gladly wait months for price drops.

The kind of people who wait for a sale to buy, are not cash-rich. Thry wouldnt be able to buy all those games at launch, so it doesn't matter.

Everyone tends to value cash more or time more, cash-rich time-poor people will pay a premium and buy at launch, time-rich cash-poor will wait for a sale. It was always this way.

Articles that claim sales aee a loss in revenue are ridiculous - as that person would never have boyght it at all without the sale - now they get it cheap/feee and might but some DLC, or love it and buy the sequal day 1.

• Like 3

Well, for me, steam sales are already bad because they sell PC games. The same games you get for free by downloading in other sites. Just have to wait a little time after they are released to someone buy that game and puts it in the internet.

Now PS+ games. If download PS3 games only work when ther PS3 is jailbreaked or whatever the name is. But I don't know how to do that so I have to buy games but with PS+ its very good. 6 games per month and I only play 2 of them because I don't have PS Vita or PS4. But at least I know that when I buy a PS Vita or a PS4 I don't hvae to buy a game with it because I know I have plenty.

This is one of the reasons why new releases are so expensive nowadays. Support the developer by purchasing on release date and they will be able to continue to make all those fantastic games you love to play

On the other hand, over the years I have noticed a somewhat disturbing trend, that being developers are putting so much time and effort in smooth graphics (because the audience demands it) that some games have a storyline that doesn't last more than a few hours. I see this especially in FPS.

The genres can't be compared but from a certain point of view one might say you get more bang for your buck if you play a RPG that will guarantee you a good 30-40 hours of gameplay rather than spending 60 quid on a FPS campaign that you can shoot through within a few hours.

Point is, some games just aren't worth buying full price due to quality or replay value, for these type of games I prefer waiting on a price drop before coughing up the full 60 bucks.

If it's a franchise that I love or a must play like GTA or Uncharted I am willing to buy day 1

When people aren't just buying your stuff on day one the picture is clear. Opinions are up, people know what to expect, the quality of the game, etc etc etc. Launch buy means the devs took your money and are off the hook now. Sales make people spend lots of money, it is helping the industry more than hurting.

Basically, what that guy above me said about being angry because of a think wallet.

Tough shit developers. Make games worth buying and / or lower the RRP and gamers will buy at launch.

Most games are simply not worth full retail and I, like almost everyone else, wait for them to be heavily discounted before dropping my coin. That means I get to buy a shitload more games for the same total money pool, which is better for me.

So either we buy less games overall at higher prices which is bad for the industry, or we buy more games at lower prices which is good for the industry. They can't have it both ways.

I support this to the max. I just wonder how Nintendo get away with this?  :S

I support this to the max. I just wonder how Nintendo get away with this?  :S

Nintendo gets away with it because they have a monopoly on their hardware.

Third-party support is abysmal, there's little to no software competition - it's either relatively high quality first-party titles or cheap third-party shovelware. As a buyer, there's no reason from either a technical or financial perspective to buy the Nintendo version of say Mass Effect 3 when it's cheaper and better on other platforms, therefore why would Nintendo support those publishers?

So Nintendo can artificially constrain supply and inflate demand to keep the prices of first-party games high. They don't need to sell 10 million units per game to make a profit because their games are simplistic and relatively cheaply made, and first-party titles always sell at very high rates due to their piss-poor release schedule. Making only a few Nintendo games per year guarantees very high adoption rates among their userbase who are otherwise starved for quality content, which means they don't need to drop prices to make a healthy profit margin.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Nintendo gets away with it because they have a monopoly on their hardware.

Third-party support is abysmal, so there's little to no software competition - it's either relatively high quality first-party titles or cheap third-party shovelware. As a buyer, there's no reason from either a technical or financial perspective to buy the Nintendo version of say Mass Effect 3 when it's cheaper and better on other platforms, therefore why would Nintendo support those companies?

So Nintendo can artificially both constrain and inflate supply to keep the prices of first-party games high. They don't need to sell 10 million units per game to make a profit because their games are simplistic and relatively cheaply made, and first-party titles always sell at very high rates due to their piss-poor release schedule. Making only a few Nintendo games per year guarantees very high adoption rates among their userbase who are otherwise starved for quality content, which means they don't need to drop prices to make a healthy profit margin.

Wow and people say Nintendo are losing. I just wonder if Wii U games are gonna stay at this way or Nintendo will kill it in 2014?

The guy has a point, but he doesn't take into account people who would have never bought the game otherwise. People who really want the game are going to buy it no matter how much it is. There are others that will wait for a sale or a price drop. These two things are a constant no matter what platform you're on. For example, I'm buying FFXHD day one at full price, but I'm waiting for a price drop or a sale on A Link Between Worlds. The one thing steam sales do, especially for indie developers, is get people to buy a game they never would have even considered otherwise. For example, I would have never in a million years bought Evoland had it not been on sale for just a couple bucks. There's no lost sales there, only additional sales. Now, any game that studio puts out I'll likely buy for full price too. Another thing steam sales do, is provide little bursts of sales for games. Most games, especially on consoles, sell a lot a within the first couple months, then dwindle down to basically nothing within a year or so. Steam sales throw up games that have been out for years and throw a sale on it, and suddenly people start buying it again. Another example, I had never played a Ys game before, and I thought it looked interesting, but didn't want to invest the time or money into the series. Until I saw Ys: Origin on sale for $5. It was only $5, so I picked it up. Now I'm a huge fan of the series and went back and picked up Ys Seven, I & II Chronicles, and Oath in Felghana. Then once Memories of Celceta came out, I picked it up day one. That never would have happened had that game not been on sale. Everyone I know who has steam has stories like this. Point is, steam sales benefit developers a lot, especially in the long term, and even more so for indie developers.

• Like 2

He might be talking about humble bundle 

No he wasn't as he was also saying he would download PS3 games for free if he knew how to jailbreak it - so a typical 'leech on devs'

On subject - some indies place software at the right price from the start, some expect to sell rocks for the price of gold. And end of the day, tough shit, most people can't afford several games a month/year - sales make that possible, so it is good for gamers.

• Like 1

Well I usually never buy on day one too.

The last one was Tomb Rider because it really gave me a good feeling.

But since DA II and ME3 I almost stopped the day one purchases.

I always buy games on amazon.co.uk since they are a lot cheaper than here in Italy. You never see retailer lower the prices here. If a game comes out at 69.99€ it most likely will stay like that until you can't find it anymore on the shelves.

The guy has a point, but he doesn't take into account people who would have never bought the game otherwise. People who really want the game are going to buy it no matter how much it is. There are others that will wait for a sale or a price drop. These two things are a constant no matter what platform you're on. For example, I'm buying FFXHD day one at full price, but I'm waiting for a price drop or a sale on A Link Between Worlds. The one thing steam sales do, especially for indie developers, is get people to buy a game they never would have even considered otherwise. For example, I would have never in a million years bought Evoland had it not been on sale for just a couple bucks. There's no lost sales there, only additional sales. Now, any game that studio puts out I'll likely buy for full price too. Another thing steam sales do, is provide little bursts of sales for games. Most games, especially on consoles, sell a lot a within the first couple months, then dwindle down to basically nothing within a year or so. Steam sales throw up games that have been out for years and throw a sale on it, and suddenly people start buying it again. Another example, I had never played a Ys game before, and I thought it looked interesting, but didn't want to invest the time or money into the series. Until I saw Ys: Origin on sale for $5. It was only $5, so I picked it up. Now I'm a huge fan of the series and went back and picked up Ys Seven, I & II Chronicles, and Oath in Felghana. Then once Memories of Celceta came out, I picked it up day one. That never would have happened had that game not been on sale. Everyone I know who has steam has stories like this. Point is, steam sales benefit developers a lot, especially in the long term, and even more so for indie developers.

To continue on from this train of thought. I would never have bought costume quest but since it was free on Psn+ I ended up loving it and buying the dlc.So they gained sales that way as well. Also if you like a game then maybe next time that company releases a game you will buy it same day-so more sales

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Best way to remedy this is too stop charging ridiculous prices for games at launch. This also applies to retail versions as well. Theres no reason to buy a game at full $60 day one when i know it will be reduced to $30 in less than a month at gamestop.