Do you prefer written or video guides when it comes to video games?

BrettyBoy

I prefer videos for collectables and when someone is demonstrating a strategy. Gives me something to reference instead of hoping what I'm picturing is the same as what the author is saying.

Everything else I like written guides with the odd screenshot if appropriate. 

It depends on how easier the information is presented to a new player, video guides can be just as bad as written guides in my opinion especially with regards to strategies and collectibles since most video guides I've seen/used just warp to the next collectible without showing you where they are on the map. If the guide is written well then I'll use it otherwise I stick to videos because it's difficult to convey where a collectible is located.

It really depends on the game. Traditionally I used written guides as my internet was terrible so I would only use videos if I were confused by the author's guide or if I failed multiple times I wanted to watch how someone else did it to try and replicate it.  Though I have found myself using more video guides as of late, especially if I was looking for a specific trophy.

I prefer video guides but often resort to written guides if i make it past the first playthrough. Like after i realized i wasnt supposed to romance everyone in witcher 3.

I had to look up some moral standards to get the ending i wanted in ng+.

Edited by buckallmighty

Written, since they tend to be a bit less spoilery, it's easier to bookmark/return to the same point in the guide, and I can take it at my own pace.

I do prefer video guides when it comes to some things in games however, particularly collectibles, as written guides aren't always the best at describing where they are exactly (also, not sure if it's just me, but I've come across a shocking amount of walkthroughs that get left and right mixed up so, so often [and sometimes even west and east, etc.]. These are great guides/walkthroughs otherwise, so dunno how this issue keeps cropping up).

I think some of the best guides I've come across however, tend to be written ones with screenshots when the author knows it's something that's better explained visually than in writing. Stella's Tomb Raider walkthroughs are absolutely amazing for this, for example.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's probably game specific.

But I do prefer written guides - not as many spoilers (most of the time) and gives you the chance to learn the game as well, rather than just watching what someone else is doing an copying.

Video guides are good if you just get stuck in a section and need the visual.

I feel like I'm possibly being biased or going against my own work depending how I answer, but stuff like collectibles for example, I find are easier to follow in a video guide (particularly if the guide demonstrates where they are on the map and provides context to location or landmarks, and timestamps, those are very helpful indeed) 

Written guides are great too, so for me, it's gotta be a bit of both, especially if the guide is well-presented and to-the-point, but with enough context and detail to be concise and not waste someone's time.